fishing downtown St.Catharines today

Luvevolution

went to downtown St.Kitts today to fish the bay where the old canal meets the 12 mile creek. what an great afternoon. lots of fish jumping everywhere and pike/gar cruising the surface at the mouth of the bay. the gar kept sticking their snouts out of the water. as usual, I got skunked, but my wife hooked a HUGE carp with a few kernels of corn on the hook. it partially jumped out of the water(which is how I knew it was a carp by visual ID). I"m guessing it was roughly 25 inches long and heavy as hellaccording to her. it made a run for the fast water and ended up snapping the line at the point. hmmmmmmmm. so close too........within 5 feet of netting the sucker. LOL. but you know what they say.........close is as good as a mile. LOL. we'll deffinitely go back there though. AWESOME fishing hole...........and even better....................NO GOBIES!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

Just make sure to bring your wife with you there and you'll be fine ;)

she's becoming a real pain in the you know what. LOL. we're having a blast though and it's nice to able to do something as a couple........something that's sadly missing with many couples these days. just wish she'd give the fish a break and let em come to my line though. hahaha.

thanks hammercarp. you should have seen her hauling in that bad boy.........she was really having a hard time with it. all I saw of it was about 25 inches or so and, that was just the main part of the body as it rolled on its side, out of the water. by the way that rod doubled over, that was one muthaa of a fish. too bad he decided it was time to head for faster water and took the rig with it. ;)

was checking out boilies for sale at Pete's tackle today. seemed like a good deal to buy a small bag. 3 bucks and change if I remember right. maybe someone might be nice enough to tell me how to make my own, step by step though cause I'm a bit stupid sometimes, especially when it comes to cooking lessons. LMAO

Good job on being skunked again Rich, your being consistent ;)

I thought you and the wife would have some success at carp or catfish

down there. As I mentioned there are a variety of fish down there, but

I am surprised at the gar though.

;)

are we talking about the water that runs , lets say underneath the st.paul st bridge and by the firemens fire training house and continues along ontario st and into martindale pond ?

are we talking about the water that runs , lets say underneath the st.paul st bridge and by the firemens fire training house and continues along ontario st and into martindale pond ?

yes, in that area, but if you look south east from the fire training centre, you'll see a really calm bay back there that actually goes up to the old canal. that's where we fished. you can access it from Hillcrest Ave., which is the first street after you turn south onto Glenridge. anyone who wants to go down there and has never been, PM me and I'll tell you where where and how you get in there. we checked out that water right in the creek, but I don't know how you would fish that area........it's way too fast flowing IMO. that's a really nice fishing hole though. very calm and quiet, except for the odd truck here and there that pass by on the 406.

thanks a lot Knight. LMAO. I'm gonna have to start leaving her at home. then again, with me getting skunked so often, it's at least fun to watch someone else catching fish. LOL. too bad she couldn't haul that big sucker in, but that's fishing, right? I swear to god, it must be a woman/pheramone thing. either that, or I just suck real bad. LOL.

I think of all the places we've been the past few weeks, that is the best place by far. we'll deffinitely be going back more often.........and there are some HUGE fish in there. now if we can just figure a way out on how to hook em. LOL

nice going might need to go down there to see sometime i live relativly close maybe ill see ya look for the pink hat of DOOM!!!!!!

nice going might need to go down there to see sometime i live relativly close maybe ill see ya look for the pink hat of DOOM!!!!!!

But Joey How come every time i sudgested we go down there you said it was a crappy spot and we wouldnt catch anything???

Nice report!!! Good luck with the carp B)

But Joey How come every time i sudgested we go down there you said it was a crappy spot and we wouldnt catch anything???

Nice report!!! Good luck with the carp B)

you never had your the one who doesnt like exploring or going to lake gibson

I always knew there was a big fish in there mainly because it sees no action really, no boats and not to many people fish down there. Probably good for all types of species including maybe muskie ??

I always knew there was a big fish in there mainly because it sees no action really, no boats and not to many people fish down there. Probably good for all types of species including maybe muskie ??

you never know

That is a severely polluted spot. Read some history books and find out why? I'm guessing that's why it is not well fished.

Try just upstream before the trestle. there is a pond (very shallow) with big cats and carp. I used to fish back by the trees. My earlier comment about bringing the wife was addressing the outdoor friendly men problem. Bring your wife and they won't bother you. Fish by yourself with a pink hat and they'll think your not there to fish B)

I would have loved to see the gar pike there.

That is a severely polluted spot. Read some history books and find out why? I'm guessing that's why it is not well fished.

Try just upstream before the trestle. there is a pond (very shallow) with big cats and carp. I used to fish back by the trees. My earlier comment about bringing the wife was addressing the outdoor friendly men problem. Bring your wife and they won't bother you. Fish by yourself with a pink hat and they'll think your not there to fish :D

I would have loved to see the gar pike there.

funny chili B)

I knew you'd like that :D

nice Chilli. LMAO. all that were down there when we were there, was a group of teenies smokin some wacky tobacky. LOL.

I'm not sure if we saw a musky or not, but a few of the fish looked a little dark with a reddish dorsal, so it's quite possible. they were fairly far out though and your eyes/mind can play tricks on you over distance. but there were deffinitely gar and pike. one gar actually swam right close to us and was a good 3-4 feet in length..............was about 10 feet from us when it submerged........awesome looking fish up close. of course, I tried to target him, but with my "skunk" record, I may as well have tried to beat him with a club or something. might have had more luck. hahahaha

Would have been cool to see the gar pike

Ill have to check it out some time

Ive heard that if you go down there at night and fish hotdogs off bottom you can get into some monster cats!

thats not all you will catch with your hotdogs down there at night

Is this a dirty joke

tisk tisk joey :D

The herpiepike

Lol

im just continuing on chili's joke but seriously dont go down there at night or alone.....

Historical footnote on that spot... that is where once stood the tallest freestanding cement poles in the British Empire to carry telegraph cables across the 1st and 2nd Welland Canals. It is also very close to the only spot I have ever seen badgers in the wild in Niagara, this was back in the 70s.

Resume fishing!

Historical footnote on that spot... that is where once stood the tallest freestanding cement poles in the British Empire to carry telegraph cables across the 1st and 2nd Welland Canals. It is also very close to the only spot I have ever seen badgers in the wild in Niagara, this was back in the 70s.

Resume fishing!

How tall were they?

Archived