Food for thought

RoeBaggin

Think about this next time you target trout. Make sure you take precautions to mask yourself and your odors!! I pulled this paragraph from a publication on the internet.

About a trout's sense of smell and taste.

Trout have an uncanny sense of smell and a sophisticated pallete which it uses with astonishing effectiveness to discriminate between predator or prey. Each nostril of a trout is covered with more than 400,000 odor sensing cells! To quote Nick Anikijenko, trout fisherman extraordinaire, "Amazingly, a trout's sense of smell and taste is so incredibly sharp that it is believed they have the ability to determine the type of animal that traveled through the water, how long ago the animal was present, and the direction in which the animal traveled."

Pretty cool stuff!

RB

Thats interesting.... but why cant it smell the scent of a human on the bait that you are using to fish for it... or smell that a lure is not real... the gas fumes from your boat.... not sayn its not true, just a thought..

Thats interesting.... but why cant it smell the scent of a human on the bait that you are using to fish for it... or smell that a lure is not real... the gas fumes from your boat.... not sayn its not true, just a thought..

There maybe some fish who will hit a bait out of curiosity as well? I tend to think of this as a way to increase your catch rate. Who really knows but I would like to tip the odds in my favor any way that I can.

RB

TD, fishing at Port D each winter I notice amongst us regulars, there are always a few guys who usually

out fish us. What I have observed is that they don't smoke. Always use a scented bait, whether roe or

plastic.

Also like any other fish, a lure passing infront of a trout could be reactionary. Plus as I understand it,

alot of these trout stageing in various areas don't have a lot of time as the bait and water is moving

very fast.

Most times drifting and bottom bouncing we are using one ounce weights and sometimes

that's not enough to feel the drift.

:angry2:

I have always wondered why more people dont utilize scents for trout and especiaslly salmonoid species. These fish have very keen sense of smell they use when feeding. Also at times they can be very picky feeders. I know for sure with any hardware I use I always use different scents to my advantage. Even natural baits like roe I often experiment with different scents with varied success. I really attribute my success that I have had spoon chuckin for chinook to the fact that i ALWAYS am scenting my spoons throughout the trip. Also laketrout I have found scent to make an enomous difference in my days catch. Bass and walleye anglers seem to be up on using scents but the fisherman targeting the species with the sharper sense dont get it quite yet

I use scents for fishing regularily, but I do find myself not masking my odor at all. Think if you do use a scent on your bait. Then on a couple of drifts, your gear fouls up and you have to untangle it. The oils on your hands are now on the business end of the line. I feel that for me, success maybe improved upon if I were to mask my stinky self from the fishing gear and more importantly the fish.

RB

While fishing for walleyes I have caught pike on the worm harness & have wondered if I should change the harness after being impregnated with the strong pike scent . The fishing seems slower after the pike scent was left on the lure and also on my hands which is very hard to wash off . Dan , I know cig smoke is hard to remove but I think the scents would mask that odour ok. I keep a supply of worms in bedding that is made from finely chopped news print which is not a natural earth scent & it seems to work fine ,even a trout will grab it at Port Dal.....speaking of Port.......the imprinting program relies on the salmon's sense of smell to return to the same waters where they were released. Interesting topic , a lot of experimenting might be in order .....& I don't really believe WD40 is a scent that fish like.......

While fishing for walleyes I have caught pike on the worm harness & have wondered if I should change the harness after being impregnated with the strong pike scent . The fishing seems slower after the pike scent was left on the lure and also on my hands which is very hard to wash off . Dan , I know cig smoke is hard to remove but I think the scents would mask that odour ok. I keep a supply of worms in bedding that is made from finely chopped news print which is not a natural earth scent & it seems to work fine ,even a trout will grab it at Port Dal.....speaking of Port.......the imprinting program relies on the salmon's sense of smell to return to the same waters where they were released. Interesting topic , a lot of experimenting might be in order .....& I don't really believe WD40 is a scent that fish like.......

A friend told me to cut off 3 feet of line after catching a pike and to change the lures scent i.e. with fish attractant

A friend told me to cut off 3 feet of line after catching a pike and to change the lures scent i.e. with fish attractant

That would help Eric . Pike have a very strong scent , except in the fryer <_< . Even my old schnozlla can i.d. some local fish blindfolded . Bass , drums , eyes , crappie , pike etc all have their own peticular odour that thankfully disappears after cooking them . :dunno:

Archived