Felt Inspired

alexthegrrr8

Hey Gang:

Well I attended a meeting last night that involved tying flies. It's something that I really want to get into seeing that I'm a fly fisher. So I woke up feeling inspired. I ended up at Peter's and bought a beginner's fly tying kit. After a short lived amount of time in Port D and making bad casts due to me missing an eye at set-up (I was rushed... bad eyes) I went home and slowly started to set up an area to tie. Using the Mickey Finn pattern as a baseline (I didn't have yellow and red bucktail) I gave it a shot.

My first ties are rough and they do need a lot of refining but I enjoyed them. Flies 1-3 were what I posted but the next 3 were improved upon. I realized after uploading the pics that I didn't trim them very neatly and that's due to my diabetic eyes not being able to see and that the head that I wrapped missed a spot. Oh well! Maybe with some Dollarama glasses and some better lighting it'll improve.

I think another addiction is imminent.

Alex

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa..._137_998438.jpg

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa..._137_745626.jpg

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa...137_1314295.jpg

It was nice to meet you Alex , and all the others who are obviously well advanced (wooly bugger) fly fishermen . There is a lot more to it than I know . I have a friend who has been tying for over 40 yrs. & there's always something new to learn .The big payoff is when you catch your first fish on your own home made fly .

This is a great time for anyone to learn fly tying ! It's not expensive to get started & you can even get material from local birds & animals (deceased) :P I have a bunch of "fresh" bluejay feathers that a kind hawk left me yesterday, 20' from my back door . Hmmmm.....a blue damsel fly in distess ? :D

Nice meeting everybody Thursday. I'll bring some stuff I've done next time. You don't want to spend too much time on those streamers because you're just going to lose them to the Port Dalhousie rock monsters anyways! :P

Thanks Guys:

I agree with Bill that it was great meeting the guys at the meeting. It was a real nice group. It's always nice to be able to place a face with a moniker. I can tell that this will be ab addiction as I was tying until 2 after getting my wife from work at midnight. I'll be heading out to hit some water somewhere and I'll definitely be swinging my flies. As Bill heard from his friend about catching something on your own fly... I'm looking real forward to it.

So much water... so little time.

Alex

Bill I'll be sending you the pm shortly regarding that link.

Well , I got me a decent pair of scissors & 2 spools of thread at Peters .....shot down to Port to give Knightfisher a few tips on drifting for trout :P & chatted with ol Harry on the west side .

Thank you Alex for the link....in my favs.now

Nothing wrong with those Alex and you've avoided (deliberately, I'm sure) two of the big mistakes people make. You have'nt crowded the head and you've tied them fairly sparse. An often quoted rule of thumb when tying flies is "Select the right amount of material, half it, and you've probably still got too much"!

Those streamers are great ... eyes are not needed.... If you have some deep purple hair. try some purple with a white belly, and rainbow prism tape. Also Hot pink and white with the rainbow prism tape. those 2 patterns work the best for me ... from there you can add a corkie (with a tiny bead) as well to make it look like an egg sucking leech. Orange, charteuse, off white and chrome corkies work the best for me ... But any way I'll agree with Pauly, no need to spend too much time on them or get too fancy, it only hurts more when you loose them, and it doesnt make them any more productive lol...

Also make sure you use very good THIN WIRE hooks, because when a steelie hits a streamer, they hit it hard, and the point of the hook usually hits the bone in the jaw, and thick hooks will let go more often than thin ones.

Nice work ...

Those streamers are great ... eyes are not needed.... If you have some deep purple hair. try some purple with a white belly, and rainbow prism tape. Also Hot pink and white with the rainbow prism tape. those 2 patterns work the best for me ... from there you can add a corkie (with a tiny bead) as well to make it look like an egg sucking leech. Orange, charteuse, off white and chrome corkies work the best for me ... But any way I'll agree with Pauly, no need to spend too much time on them or get too fancy, it only hurts more when you loose them, and it doesnt make them any more productive lol...

Also make sure you use very good THIN WIRE hooks, because when a steelie hits a streamer, they hit it hard, and the point of the hook usually hits the bone in the jaw, and thick hooks will let go more often than thin ones.

Nice work ...

Perch and Wooly:

Thanks guys for the compliments and insight. These are something that I'm definitely going to be keeping in mind. Especially when I make some steelie specific flies. I need to grab some bucktail... ironically my wife told me to grab purple next time earlier today and I need red and yellow to make the Finns.

I currently have a hook in the vise that awaiting my first attempted "Brassie".

Alex

BTW... here are two that I did last night and one that I did just before I headed out today.

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa...137_1090786.jpg

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa..._137_580716.jpg

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa..._137_785719.jpg

It looks like you are getting off to a good start Alex.....some nice variety there . When I got my thread today , I was "glassing" over all the stuff for fly fishing ! So many items to choose from , you don't know what you need ! I couldn't find the right thread , all different colours & some stretch like rubber & some are much heavier for different applications . Brandon found the 6/0 black in 200 yd. spools for me hanging way above me :P . (short stuff) ! I haven't found the time to set up a spot & tie one on , so busy with vehicles & the honey do paint/wallpaper fix-this fix that list ....I need to retire again !

looks good so far try putting the bottom color on the bottom of the hook and then turn the hook over and put the top color on this makes the hook in the middle of it hiding it better

F.O.G.:

Thanks for the compliment and advice. I'll defintely be trying that later on when i tie up a few more.

Thanks Again,

Alex

Archived