Took the daughter ice fishing

Hacknslash

Well we made the long hike into Ellisam Lake just after sunup. Its a healthy walk down a hiking trail...between 20-30 minutes walk through the bush.

DSC00068-1.jpg

Well we dropped the gear and started drilling holes near a rock outcropping that has a ice hole in front of it.

DSC00013.jpg

I had my line down for 5 minutes and it started moving. Set the hook and pulled up this MONSTER!!

DSC00026.jpg

He was so huge I had to let him go! An hour passed the another hit.

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

A nice 2lb splake for the frying pan!

Then my daughters line starts going down, seconds later my deadline hits the ice. We both set the hook....same fish!!!!!!

Being a good Dad I snapped my line and let my daughter pull in her first ever fish through the ice!

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

Well that was it for the day....other than the long walk back out..

Going to blow that pic up to 8x10 and frame it for her!

Beauty splake ! They definately look 90% spekkie ,hence the "sp" before the "lake" . Elliot Lake is a good area for splakes with many little lakes way back in the bush where we hunted years ago . We camped at Upper Mace where the splake would be in the shallows by late September and Ezma was full of lakers .

Ha ha Ollie , I agree . :D My comment was in jest , should have added a :D to that . But I will say that some splake are almost identical in colour to speks & may be mistaken for a spekkie by a few less imformed fisherman . I don't know if the hatcheries have any control over the genetics to make them 50 -50 or 90 -10 etc. and many fishermen I have discussed the issue of stocking lakes with splake would rather see speks stocked instead .....but this is another topic akin to stocking Atlantics verses Kings .........

No, its a walleye. Usually coloured like that if they're in heavy cover. Get 'em like that on Scugog when you pull them out of the weeds.

cool I have seen some walleye up north almost completely black.

Archived