Getting Ready

alexthegrrr8

Lately, I've been huddled up downstairs in my laboratory tying some flies. I intend to have a box full of nymph and dry fly patterns in anticipation of the upcoming season. Here are some Steelhead, Streamer, Nymph and Dry fly patterns.

Beadhead Prince Nymph - Nymph

101_2164.jpg

Brown Bivisible - Dry

101_2165.jpg

Renegade - Dry

101_2167.jpg

Griffith's Gnat - Dry

101_2168.jpg

Brassie - Nymph

101_2170.jpg

Gray Ghost - Streamer (head too long)

101_2171.jpg

Egg Sucking Bunny Leech - Streamer

101_2172.jpg

Baby Brookie - Streamer

101_2175.jpg

Pink Butt Black Bear - Steelhead/Salmon

101_2176.jpg

Alex

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some others....

Skunk - Steelhead

101_2177.jpg

Undertaker - Steelhead/Salmon

101_2178.jpg

Silver Hilton - Steelhead

101_2179.jpg

Vey nice work Alex. Try the egg sucking leach in a peach and black colour pattern. I used to do well in the streams States side when I started tying and was floatfishing more a few years back. Also good at the Whirlpool come spring. Oh ya, also the skunk/steelhead replace the black with purple.

Rick

nice lookin ties there Alex, i'm hoping that fly box of yours is a little smaller than you think =]

Thansk for the replies guys and the compliments. i just enjoy going through the Orvis book I bought and try different things.

Scott.... the bow that contains my nymphs and dries isn't that big. Now that I think about it a box filled is a ton of flies. Luckilly it isn't that big. The streamer box... is bigger.

Rick... thanks for the heads up on the colours for the Skunk pattern.

Alex

101_2175.jpg

This one caught my eye. Very nice. In what situation would you use it?

Ahhh yes! There are a couple of applications. I tied it for two species. The first is for spring when I start chasing brookies. The second is the Niagara and in particular Lake Trout. The Lake Trout from what I'm told have a serious affection for green. As far as applying them... on the swing with strips towards the end. I can see them working under a float rod for sure. I bet it'll work up in Fort Erie. I should show you a Polar Shrimp that I tied... you may like it as well.

Alex

BTW... I was told to approach you about changing my name. I've been trying to figure out how but can't.

Ahhh yes! There are a couple of applications. I tied it for two species. The first is for spring when I start chasing brookies. The second is the Niagara and in particular Lake Trout. The Lake Trout from what I'm told have a serious affection for green. As far as applying them... on the swing with strips towards the end. I can see them working under a float rod for sure. I bet it'll work up in Fort Erie. I should show you a Polar Shrimp that I tied... you may like it as well.

Alex, when you head east take a few of these with you. They'll do well on Atlantic Salmon rivers!

Here's one I tied by accident tonight!

20438_264773231657_580951657_3508564_7161098_n.jpg

Kinda looks like a fuzzy moth of some sort. :D

Nice one. Very buggy. I can see that one getting lots of action right around dusk. If I ever get my camera back from my daughter who borrowed it two months ago, I'll put a few shots up myself.

Nice flies there and I want some of those silver hiltons there my favorite dry fly so Alex if you can think you can tie me a few just send me a PM back

Chilli:

Thanks a bunch for letting me know that. I'll have to contact Rick in that case. Regarding the fly that you just tied like Bill Spicer once told me... "buggy is good". Coachman is definitely bang on there. My wife thinks it looks cool.

Coachman.. I found the recipe for the Hot Scottie. I think I'll start getting a box ready for the trip as well. Man, I'm going to be spending a ton of time at the tying table.

Alex

Nice flies there and I want some of those silver hiltons there my favorite dry fly so Alex if you can think you can tie me a few just send me a PM back

Joey:

Just a heads up. The Silver Hilton is a Steelhead specific streamer. Then again I'm sure that it'll catch anything. I know it sort of resembles a dry with the two Grizzly hackle tips tied in and the Grizzly collar.

Alex

Good stuff, Alex. Let me know how your Hot Scotties turn out. I don't know how much you can see on my profile picture, but that's a Hot Scotty in the fishes' mouth.

Coachman:

Really? You weren't kidding then when you told me about that fly. I'll probably tie some Cossebom, and other's as well.

BTW... here are a couple more...

Polar Shrimp - Streamer (slight variation) Target Species - Steelhead

101_2183.jpg

Two-Egg Sperm - Streamer (omitted the red hackle tied as a collar) Target Species - Steelhead

101_2185.jpg

Alex

Coachman:

Thanks for the compliment. LOL.. no I am definitely not at that point yet. One day I think I'd like to be at that stage though to help people (whether tying or casting). I had an odd thing happen today a few times. On three of my ties the fly snapped in half... as in the shank broke. It happened on my Hilton, Skunk, and Polar Shrimp. All of the hooks came from the same box. I was bummed especially about the Hilton.

Alex

The only time I've ever had a hook break in the vise was when I was using small dry fly hooks in the # 20 range. I don't tie much smaller than # 16 these days. . . my eyes aren't what they used to be. What brand and model hooks were you using?

nice looking flies alex,see you have been busy.I've been tying in my spare time can't wait for spring, looking forward to first season of fly fishing.

Sometimes you just get a crappy batch of hooks that have been badly tempered. Better to break it in the vice than in a fish!!

Actually the hook didn't break in neither a fish or vise or snag. Would you believe they were on the cast????

I'm not too sure of the brand they had the local bait shops sticker on them.

Alex

Archived