Getting Ready

alexthegrrr8

Actually the hook didn't break in neither a fish or vise or snag. Would you believe they were on the cast????

I'm not too sure of the brand they had the local bait shops sticker on them.

Alex

Yeah that sounds odd, breaking in air...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very weird, Alex. I've never heard of a hook failing while casting. Are you sure it wasn't pinging off a rock or something on your back-cast? If it was hitting something on the back-cast you might not even notice it unless your cast collapsed completely.

Guest Rockfish
Ahhh yes! There are a couple of applications. I tied it for two species. The first is for spring when I start chasing brookies. The second is the Niagara and in particular Lake Trout. The Lake Trout from what I'm told have a serious affection for green. As far as applying them... on the swing with strips towards the end. I can see them working under a float rod for sure. I bet it'll work up in Fort Erie. I should show you a Polar Shrimp that I tied... you may like it as well.

Alex

BTW... I was told to approach you about changing my name. I've been trying to figure out how but can't.

Some nice looking patterns Alex, greens and chartruese do seem to work well in the Niagara for lakers especially when the water is a cloudy green.

Nice meeting u out on the pond the other day, I remember u talking about changing your name.

Don't forget maribou, Alex. You can tie lots of multi-purpose flies with it. I have nymph patterns that can be trolled, streamers that can be fished like a wet and wets that can be fished like streamers or nymphs.

It also dyes well. Try Rit, food coloring or Koolaid. You get some interesting colours!

You can use it for tails, bodies or wings. . . just experiment! If I could get my camera back from that daughter of mine I'd show you some of mine.

Don't forget maribou, Alex. You can tie lots of multi-purpose flies with it. I have nymph patterns that can be trolled, streamers that can be fished like a wet and wets that can be fished like streamers or nymphs.

It also dyes well. Try Rit, food coloring or Koolaid. You get some interesting colours!

You can use it for tails, bodies or wings. . . just experiment! If I could get my camera back from that daughter of mine I'd show you some of mine.

Coachman:

You just gave me some really wild ideads. I love tying with marabou as it pulsates so nicely in the water. I like using wabbit too. But I might experiment in about 1 hr when I take my daughter to school to write exams. I'm thinking.... '60's. I did one tie that I dubbed the "Abominable Snowman" and it flat out produced. On the first drift. But marabou I think is the friend of all fly fishers/tyers. Honestly, this is the best part about tying... experimenting and using the imagination. I'm going to be buying some Salman material as soon as I get some Atlantic's tied I'll post them for ya. LOL... get your hands on that camera. I had one... til Sunday now I owe my wife one camera.... #@!$

Alex

Coachman:

You just gave me some really wild ideads. I love tying with marabou as it pulsates so nicely in the water. I like using wabbit too. But I might experiment in about 1 hr when I take my daughter to school to write exams. I'm thinking.... '60's. I did one tie that I dubbed the "Abominable Snowman" and it flat out produced. On the first drift. But marabou I think is the friend of all fly fishers/tyers. Honestly, this is the best part about tying... experimenting and using the imagination. I'm going to be buying some Salman material as soon as I get some Atlantic's tied I'll post them for ya. LOL... get your hands on that camera. I had one... til Sunday now I owe my wife one camera.... #@!$

Alex

What's wabbit Darth Wader ? :dunno: Is it fin , fur or feathers ? ha ! I was given a few mariboos & I like the way they "wave" through the water . I'll bet a black boo would imitate a leech if you make it a bit longer . I would shorten the name abom.snowman to the "yetti fly" , sounds real cool ! ;) btw.....I see a cheap camera for sale here :angry:

What's wabbit Darth Wader ? :D Is it fin , fur or feathers ? ha ! I was given a few mariboos & I like the way they "wave" through the water . I'll bet a black boo would imitate a leech if you make it a bit longer . I would shorten the name abom.snowman to the "yetti fly" , sounds real cool ! :D btw.....I see a cheap camera for sale here :)

Smerch:

Wabbit for these purposes is rabbit. Apparently I had unknowingly channelled Elmer J. Fudd (MIWWIONAIRE). Black marabou works great for that exact purpose. You look at a fly like the old standby Woolly Bugger (no offence to the board member didn't mean you were old lol) but that's why black is a common colour with that fly. It doesn't necessarily imitate a leech, as it does a baitfish or a hellgramite. Black is one of my go to colours.

I like the name "Yeti Fly" much easier to spell and say... I can only say the other one after a beer or three. I'd buy the camera but the wife wants a DSLR or bridge camera.... to expand on her creative genius.... like Wile E. Coyote. OMG... my life is a cartoon ;)

Alex

I have one tie that can be fished as either a helgrammite or a leech. It is has a black maribou tail, the body is black maribou twisted into a rope and wound forward, then ribbed with crystalflash. The "wing" is a collar of black maribou. I also occasionally tie a head made of a ball of pink polar ice dubbing to make my version of an egg sucking leech. Some leeches have a reddish-orange belly, so a bit of red maribou can also be tied in as a "beard."

I have one tie that can be fished as either a helgrammite or a leech. It is has a black maribou tail, the body is black maribou twisted into a rope and wound forward, then ribbed with crystalflash. The "wing" is a collar of black maribou. I also occasionally tie a head made of a ball of pink polar ice dubbing to make my version of an egg sucking leech. Some leeches have a reddish-orange belly, so a bit of red maribou can also be tied in as a "beard."

Coachman:

It sounds a little bit like my "Abominable Snowman" or easier to pronounce as Smerch suggested the "Yeti Fly". Here's the recipe....

Hook - Size 6 Streamer (I imagine that a larger hook could be used right to 1/0)

Thread - White 6/0

Weight - Optional (I use 5 wraps .030 when needed)

Tail- White Marabou

Body - White Ice Chenille

Wing - White Marabou (wrapped forward like hackle)

* beadhead or conehead optional

I'll be making these in brown and black as we get closer to smallie season.

The Egg-Sucking Bunny Leech that I made sort of sounds familiar to the one that you made. I just used chenille where you used the dubbing and the rabbit strip vs marabou.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Coachman:

Nice ties. LOL... I may have to get the recipes off of you lol. Fafalohi honestly, it isn't that hard. I just started tying in December I think. Like anything, it takes a little practice and patience.

Alex

Nice flies Alex.

I like those shrimp that Coachman tied too.

An easy one that I've had good steelie success with is the Crystal Zonker. There's a good video for it on Utube.

You can use nail polish and laquer if you don't have the right coloured bead.

Those are some nice flies fellas.

I might have to take a few pics of the few I have tied. Mostly nymphs and a few Wooly buggers.

Here's an idea...and I know it has been breached on this forum before, although I think there were less fly fishers on the site at the time.

Who would like to have a get-together to do some tying? If anyone is interested feel free to PM me. I have only tied a few dozen flies in my life, but I think if some of us novices got together we can learn from each other.

Over a year ago I joined and went to a few tying nights at HAFFT (hamilton Area Fly Fishers and Tyers) but dates didn't work for me...neither did the long drive, so I stopped going.

What do ya think. Any one want to get together locally?

FW

Thanks for the compliments folks. I'm tying a few each night and I'll add some more shots as soon as I have enough to trouble with. The camera I have isn't the best and has a hard time focusing on smaller flies (it focuses on the background instead). But when I get my camera back from my daughter I'll add some nymphs and dries.

FishyWishy, I like the idea of fly-tying get-togethers. Back in Nova Scotia my brother belongs to such a group. They get together over beer and food once a month or so and tie flies, tell stories and socialize.

We could perhaps form a group that could do the same, perhaps rotating around to a different location every month, perhaps on a Saturday afternoon. I'm sure we all have a pub somewhere nearby that would allow us to host the gatherings. Each month's host could choose two or three flies to work on and list the materials ahead of time, then when we get together we could all work on those patterns. That way those of us who would have to travel would know what to bring.

FishyWishy, I like the idea of fly-tying get-togethers. Back in Nova Scotia my brother belongs to such a group. They get together over beer and food once a month or so and tie flies, tell stories and socialize.

We could perhaps form a group that could do the same, perhaps rotating around to a different location every month, perhaps on a Saturday afternoon. I'm sure we all have a pub somewhere nearby that would allow us to host the gatherings. Each month's host could choose two or three flies to work on and list the materials ahead of time, then when we get together we could all work on those patterns. That way those of us who would have to travel would know what to bring.

Coachman,

Looks like you and I are the only ones who are interested as I've recieved no PM's and this thread hasn't had any posts since your last one. :Gonefishing:

FW

FW:

LOL.. no need for the long face. Have a look see.

Alex

Here are some recent ties.

Bomber: My first attempt at one and spinning deer hair. It'll be functional I hope.

101_2593.jpg

Miramichi Smelt: Getting ready for the East Coast. I had to modify the colours.

101_2596.jpg

Humpy: Learned it last night... tried it this morning,

101_2611.jpg

Royal Wulff: No red floss had to use yellow

101_2599.jpg

Alex

Nice work Alex! Here are a few more of mine:

My take on a traditional bomber:

16944_304510505263_615965263_3992599_6578325_n.jpg

A caddis pattern, simple but effective:

16944_304510515263_615965263_3992600_6675082_n.jpg

Another caddis, with a foam body:

16944_304510520263_615965263_3992601_4529219_n.jpg

A caddis larva:

16944_304510525263_615965263_3992602_4521685_n.jpg

An experimental blue damsel:

16944_304510530263_615965263_3992603_2468323_n.jpg

A foam bomber:

16944_304510535263_615965263_3992604_3001884_n.jpg

The black leech I mentioned previously:

16944_304510540263_615965263_3992605_8200309_n.jpg

A maribou Mickey

16944_304510550263_615965263_3992606_357556_n.jpg

A semi-traditional salmon hair-wing of my own design:

16944_304510555263_615965263_3992607_4146672_n.jpg

Coachman:

Nice ties there. How do the caddis with the antron wings float compared to traditional elk hair? Must be esier to tie for sure. I thought about making my Bomber with the calf tail as well. That is calf tail right?

Alex

Archived