Getting Ready

alexthegrrr8

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one more. As I said before the cheap camera I'm using doesn't focus too well on smaller flies, but I hope you can get the idea.

Traditional Royal Coachman body. The fly is tied as a no-hackle spent-wing using white Phentex for the wings. One of my favorites to tie and fish.

17544_305930340263_615965263_3996693_5338634_n.jpg

If anyone who is interested in tying get-togethers, perhaps we should choose one of us to collect names of those who are up for it then co-ordinate the first gathering?

How is the floating quality of the Phentex Coachman? Then again I guess it's nothing that floatant cannot take care of.

Alex

How is the floating quality of the Phentex Coachman? Then again I guess it's nothing that floatant cannot take care of.

Actually it floats quite well. Obviously not for fast water, but it works. This fly gave me one of my most memorable days of fishing. The water was extremely low and I think all the trout had moved to Alaska or something. But there were hundreds of small chub minnows up to about 8" long. I had one on every cast! Of course, most people wouldn't think of chub minnows as being fun fishing, but it certainly proved the fly.

...If anyone who is interested in tying get-togethers, perhaps we should choose one of us to collect names of those who are up for it then co-ordinate the first gathering?

I have started taking this role.

I have sent a PM to the few that have expressed an interest. If anyone else is interested PM me.

FW

Bought a box of #20 hooks today just to see if I can still do it. Boy my eyes aren't what they used to be! But if I lean really close I can get it done. My daughter has the camera again, but as soon as its back I'll post some shots.

Bought a box of #20 hooks today just to see if I can still do it. Boy my eyes aren't what they used to be! But if I lean really close I can get it done. My daughter has the camera again, but as soon as its back I'll post some shots.

Coachman;

I hear ya. My eyes are always changing day to day because of my diabetes. I made some today just to realize once they were uploaded that I had some hairs/feathers unclipped. My eyes couldn't see the hairs. Here are a couple...

Swinging Hornet - Experimental (Streamer)

101_2646.jpg

O Canada! - Streamer (with the Olympics I was feeling patriotic... as always)

101_2642.jpg

Royal Coachman Bucktail - Streamer

101_2618.jpg

Halfback Nymph

101_2636.jpg

Alex

Fly tying isn't all there is to getting ready. How about a new (to me anyway) rod and reel. I just picked these toys up from a Kijiji ad! The rod is a 14 ' St. Croix Imperial 9/10 weight. The reel is a Pfueger Trion complete with a Skagit 650 line and 5-6 assorted heads. I'm itching to get it wet!

24192_333016470263_615965263_4088517_6558885_n.jpg

24192_333016505263_615965263_4088519_7171581_n.jpg

Coachman:

Nice find. You'll have to let me know how it casts. What type of Skagit and running line came with it? I'm going out tomorrow with mine. BTW... I love the colour of the blank.

Alex

Looks like an Airflo running line.

Thanks Alex. I was so excited when I saw how clean this combo is that there were some questions I didn't ask, one of which was what brand the line is. But the heads are all Rio, so I believe the line is as well.

Honestly, you could hang a price tag on this and put it in the rack in any sporting goods store: you could sell it as new. There's not a scratch or mark on any of it. Even the cork grips are pristine. I had done some research and discovered that new the combo would go for $1,000-$1,200. So I didn't hesitate to count out fifteen $20.00 bills for it!

I'll definitely let you know how it casts. Maybe even join you on the Niagara one day and I'll let you try it yourself.

This is my first 2-hander, and my first spey set-up yes. I've used spey techniques with my run-of-the-mill rod before, simply because it makes life easier when fishing in tight spots of course, but I'm really looking forward to being able to use those methods properly.

Coachman:

You'll like the two-hander and it really won't take you long seeign that you've already been using that style of casting.... I was swinging today for a bit. I came up empty but I went and got a major segment of sink-tip so we'll see if that changes my fortunes.

Here are a couple of ties from today... two are my first attempts at Salmon flies (Atlantic). I promised (Coachman) that I would post my first tries at Atlantic Salmon patterns. So without further delay...

P3041607.jpg

P3041605.jpg

P3051930.jpg

Black Bear Yellow Butt

P3051928.jpg

Hot Scottie

P3051929.jpg

Alex

Nice ties, Alex. I like your version of the Hot Scottie. Here's one of my brother's Hot Scotties. . . one of the original versions I believe.

222_20051227084218_1.png

Another version uses a single golden pheasant neck feather tied as a veil over the squirrel tail.

Hotscottie.jpg

Other versions I've seen omit the long tail and use a few golden pheasant tippets instead.

My brother and a few of his friends are the originators of the pattern, which is named for a drink consisting of Scotch and hot water. . . one of their traditional "after fishing" drinks.

Your version is a Hot Scottie too. . . but it is an evolving pattern.

A few things to keep in mind when tying for Nova Scotia salmon. Flies must be unweighted, which means no wire, glass beads, plastic or anything else that can be considered weight. Lines must also have no extra weights. You also need to either use barbless hooks or pinch the barbs, since it will almost certainly be C&R only (regulations aren't finalized for the 2010 year just yet).

You can use weighted flies for other species of course.

Coachman:

I actually found the recipe on Wikityer. i was wondering if that Salar was indeed your brother. LOL.. I read the write-up on the name ironically enough and I must say that the drink sounds intriguing although I'm not a scotch guy.... yet! i tried to get it close to the recipe that I saw but I didn't have the materials exactly. Instead of the Gold Pheasant neck feather (or body feather) I had to make do with pheasant tied in as a veil (the same used for Pheasant Tail nymphs). That's awesome that your brother originated it... I hope I didn't fail him. I admit that I wasn't too keen on the head... the next will be better for sure. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the Gray Squirrel used for the wing. My fingers weren't working tonight.

The first thing that I do when I place a hook into a vise is pinch the barbs, but I was wondering if you could shed light on the weight issue. Sink tips are okay aren't they? Thanks for the heads up on the unweighting of flies.

Oh... if you aren't lh... practice the two hander with the left hand on top... unless you're going to cast backhanded. If nothing else, pull out the handle and practice in your house.

Alex

I didn't have orange hackle so I had to use Schlappen.

Sinking and sink-tip lines are fine. You just aren't allowed to add any extra weight. I'd love to practice in my apartment, but the rod is a 3-piece, which means that even just the butt section is too long for an apartment. I hear there's some open water in the harbour so I'm going to go out tomorrow and try to get it wet.

Sinking and sink-tip lines are fine. You just aren't allowed to add any extra weight. I'd love to practice in my apartment, but the rod is a 3-piece, which means that even just the butt section is too long for an apartment. I hear there's some open water in the harbour so I'm going to go out tomorrow and try to get it wet.

Coachman:

Find anything that you can sub for the rod handle. Anything that'll start to train your arms and mind a touch. I appreciate the info on the sink-tips. We'll have to get together and do some casting. I just tied a few more Salmon flies and these turned out nicely. One was supposed to be a Hairy Mary (now it's a variation) and it just pops with colour. I bought hackle... got home it's Schlappen again. I also tied a Black Dose and a Purple Peril.

Alex

I've been watching lots of Youtube videos on spey casting. The important things are your anchor point and ensuring that your fly is downwind of your rod. The actual casting motion is a push-pull movement not unlike that used with a katana. . . which I have swung a few times, although of course you don't follow through as far with the rod. I'll be on the water with it probably by the coming weekend.

Maybe you should come up to Hamilton for the "fish-in" on the 28th.

Archived