Finished Bull Trout and simple base

Erik.T.

This weekend whilst sitting amidst the small piles of sawdust I finished a work in progress. And my growing insanity caused by not fishing tapered off........

Erikswoodfish003.jpg

Erikswoodfish002.jpg

Crticism is much wanted! I know the tail is a bit off and there are some other things wrong but its kind of a prototype because I didn't really know what I was doing.

And I found that hard woods are a b***h to carve.

That is all.

This post has been modified for the "older youths" of the forum that are visually impaired :Gonefishing:

Beautiful job Eric ! :Gonefishing: You did a real nice job carving the body & the fins , and I like the way you blended the colours with the air brush & the board & rocks looks great ! I have painted trout and find the spots are difficult to paint so they look natural .A good air brush can do a nice job for painting dots , but I use a blotting method & thin the paint out a little . It would be nice to put your fish into a glass framed box to keep it clean and safer .

Erik:

I don't know why anyone would criticize that work of yours. Young man, that is some excellent craftsmanship. You have some great talent.

Alex

That is very well done.

Don't worry about being exact. It is a representation of a fish, and your creativity has to have some freedom.

As for the wood you chose. Try basswood next time around.

Watch this guy Eric ....I think he is a musky fisherman .......he will be adding a few trebles to your fish ! :rolleyes:

lol

Thanks everyone!

I actually carved 2 small bluegills around some weeds but its really small the fish are like 3/4 of an inch or an inch long.

Bigugli-I used basswood for the fish (thank god) but some of the rocks were maple or some type of oak.

And in the near future maybe I will take orders. Gonna airbrush my next one this week......

and yes Joey I might do a carp soon because I got the burning machine for the scales but I just can't do small scales.

Beautiful job Eric ! :rolleyes: You did a real nice job carving the body & the fins , and I like the way you blended the colours with the air brush & the board & rocks looks great ! I have painted trout and find the spots are difficult to paint so they look natural .A good air brush can do a nice job for painting dots , but I use a blotting method & thin the paint out a little . It would be nice to put your fish into a glass framed box to keep it clean and safer .

Thanks for the info! I haven't really totally figured out the airbrush yet. This one is only a prototype so I don't think I'll put this one in a glass box.

Really nice!!! I swear, I saw gill plate moving, or could be the beer effect. Seriously, if and when you start taking orders, please let me know! Again, beautiful work :rolleyes: !!!

I used basswood for the fish (thank god) but some of the rocks were maple or some type of oak.

okay eric, now i am really impressed. i just assumed the rocks were prop rocks from the backyard somewhere but this reply clarifies that they too are carved! my daughter draws and the one thing i am always telling her impresses me most is not the main subject, which is good on its own, so much as the tiny details in the background. a little mouse in the base of a tree that was drawn with the same care as the focal subject, that type of thing that shows attention to the whole not just the spotlight. so, long story short, what makes the whole sculpture that much more impressive is the attention to detail like carving rocks rather than bolting actual rocks to the mount. :lol: in one word, 'verynicework'

okay eric, now i am really impressed. i just assumed the rocks were prop rocks from the backyard somewhere but this reply clarifies that they too are carved! my daughter draws and the one thing i am always telling her impresses me most is not the main subject, which is good on its own, so much as the tiny details in the background. a little mouse in the base of a tree that was drawn with the same care as the focal subject, that type of thing that shows attention to the whole not just the spotlight. so, long story short, what makes the whole sculpture that much more impressive is the attention to detail like carving rocks rather than bolting actual rocks to the mount. :) in one word, 'verynicework'

Thanks! I had to play around with the wood stains a bit to get the colour I wanted and I see your point about the details.

Thanks steven it is awesome, like eating your catch after catching it, very rewarding.

Archived