just a thought

Hellfish

Im taking a look at some of the posts here with OOS fish. The welland river is NOT a big river by any means. Fish are spawning and some of the spots shown here recently are spawning grounds for several species of fish. I did not want to say anything in anyone posts to ruin them, but come on guys dont post pics of OOS fish with direct landmarks. That is potentially detrimental to that water way. If I am not mistaken we should not even be posting pics of OOS fish. So just throwing this out there but, lets not ruin another body of water. Pike, bass and Walleye are all closed. The internet has done enough to the river already and this is not going to help it at all. Sorry for the rant but, I love this river more than I like people so I will do what I can to protect the little gal.

Thats definitely a fair argument. I don't want to see any fisheries around here being ruined either. This time of the year, my approach is to target an area where I think there may be panfish, using lures appropriate for panfish. If an OOS fish grabs my bait, it will be released as soon as possible and I will move to another spot to lower the chances of catching more OOS fish that are likely around that area. Just the same, if I notice any OOS fish in an area I am fishing, I will move as well. As far as pictures go, I have read on other boards like OFN that it is not illegal to snap a quick photo of an OOS fish before it is released. I keep my camera handy for pictures at all times, so it doesn't take longer than 10 seconds to snap a picture. I hope I'm not missing your point, because I agree that fishing areas where OOS fish are knowingly spawning is unethical. However, I don't think posting a picture in a report of an OOS fish (as I have done recently) is wrong.

I know what you mean by showing where oos fish are being caught as we caught many bass during the ice season & refrained from taking photos . A quick shot on the ice isn't as bad since no background is visable . And I think it wouldn't be a smart thing to target these oos fish after seeing them on the net. You have a lot to lose when you get caught . We know there are anglers tossing bass spinner baits in some places.......

It is generally considered bad form to post OOS pics. but it is not part of the rules.

Just remember, the MNR monitors this site on a regular basis, so if you are posting and it looks like you are targeting OOS species you are painting a bullseye on your own backside.

If this comes across as a argument thats not the point of this. What I am saying is in regards to the fishery itself. I do care if people want to be idiots and target OOS fish,but if it floats your boat then hey, who am I to tell you what to do, I am not your parents. But i will sure as heck speak up and voice my opinion and tell you how it is and make sure that people do not abuse a fishery I care so much for. I am at that river regularly maybe 40 hrs a week at times and I do make sure bull Sh17 does not go on. We have made the government alot of money there by calling the cops and the ministry. Obviously people taking pics of their catches OOS is not illegal if it is done in a timely matter, and thats great I do it too. The only difference is I do not post it on fishing sites nor do i post it on the internet with one of the most recognizable spots in welland in the background. I am not pointing anyone out or trying to cause a ruckus, this should be common sense not to do that. If this has offended anyone Im not really sorry cause that is not the intention, that fishery means a heck of alot more to me then some random person I do not know. We do what needs to be done there. We clean bags upon bags of garbage out of that river every month, we rip out the night lines and gill nets and sein nets and what ever other contraptions people decide to use there in the late night. I treat that river better than i treat anything else, and she repays the favour :) What we do there is not the point though. The point is be proud of your catch and have a great time fishing just do not post spots with a recognizable background of a spawning area for that matter.

I was kind of waiting for the ugly's take on the issue. Didn't realize it was bad form...consider any OOS pics not to be posted from my end. And yeah, sorry hellfish, I think I misunderstood your point a little bit but I get it completely now. One of the better things about this site is how people like me who are generally new to regulations and other types of ethics and etiquette can learn about things of this nature. And of course, in the end hopefully the main goal of everyone is to protect the precious waters we fish!

It is generally considered bad form to post OOS pics. but it is not part of the rules.

Just remember, the MNR monitors this site on a regular basis, so if you are posting and it looks like you are targeting OOS species you are painting a bullseye on your own backside.

Not saying other members were though, I am sure they were panfishing cause you never really know what you will get there.

"i love this river more than i like people" hahahaha, well put.

ahaha yeah I went back and read that over and chuckled a little myself. But it is true, she will never lie or betray me so it is a perfect friend.

I was kind of waiting for the ugly's take on the issue. Didn't realize it was bad form...consider any OOS pics not to be posted from my end. And yeah, sorry hellfish, I think I misunderstood your point a little bit but I get it completely now. One of the better things about this site is how people like me who are generally new to regulations and other types of ethics and etiquette can learn about things of this nature. And of course, in the end hopefully the main goal of everyone is to protect the precious waters we fish!

thanx for understanding man. I was wondering if I explained myself correctly or not but I guess i did. I am not a english major and some times cant understand what I wrote 10 mins ago :)

Love how you tip toed through your point. Thank you for posting this and I do agree completely.

I'd love to see some guys posting pictures of habitat restoration or clean ups where the OOS fish are but I myself prefer to wait until fish are in season to post OOS pictures. Smaller waterways should be blocked out but it's not a rule. Could be someday though :)

If anyone needs help restoring that river let me know I would be the first to help out. But I am not the kind that wants or needs to be pated on the back for helping to preserve a fishery, I do what I can when I can and do believe if everyone did just a little bit it is a 100% better than what is happening now.

Yes chili as you may know, I am not a a$$h0le nor a quiet guy. I am very easy to get along with but I have opinions and believe in them strongly. thats the great thing about opinions they are like buttholes everyone has one :)

should have just posted it under my topic because this post couldnt be any more blatently directed towards me

chill out...the fish were all released i took down one of the pictures just for you guys but whatever...done posting pics on here for good

this site is a little much...

I know Hellfish and if Rory has a problem with you he will tell you. Have you ever seen him? I don't think this post was directed at anyone but everyone in general. Great post and very true if all anglers play by the rules we won't have any problems we have to police ourselves because no one else will....

Thorold fisher if thats how you want to take it then go ahead I could care less to ne honest, No harm no foul. I mean you could feel sorry for yourself or keep :) I took that picture down just for you, which is fine and thank you, but again this is not directed towards anyone. Lets be grown ups here for a second and think of the fishery first and not yourself. Like Denis said if I wanted to say something to you I sure would have. I was watching you guys fish there lol. Go ahead post pictures thats the point of this board, have fun. lets just use some common sense when posting particular areas.

100% agree with everything said even thorold fisher this sight is much in no regards to this topic at all but i tried to put up some pike pics and one of them was old just tryin to motivate some ppl to get out there and i ended up in the middle of a sh17 storm.and ppl going into my gf photo bucket account snoopin around or whatever they do these days all i know it i def wont be posting any pics any time soon never know what ppl can do on computers these days. i think this sight is some ppl fix for drugs or something

relax man.... when we catch fish out of season... it is by accident we take a pic and let it go!!!! its been goin on for years and years!

Dude im relaxed man, just burned a fat one. Regardless I understand that but unfortunately you do not understand what I am saying. Go ahead and read over what I wrote. You will notice that was not my point not even close........Why are grown men so sensitive?

oh contraire! I agree we must police ourselves, but if we don't someone will. Like all good things, one day our rights to sport fish will come to an end, as they have already been governed ( i.e; licensing) Look at the the areas that USED to be allowed public access, and then look at all the fences, no trespassing signs, NO FISHING signs (those ones hurt the most). We (as anglers) have allowed these things to happen, we have let them class us all with the do-wrongers, the litterers, the vandals, and the poachers.

Thorold fisher, if you take offence to anything hellfish said, then you're right. His post was directed at you, although it was not a personal attack, we all love fish, and would like to protect the fisheries we love. make sense? Nobody said they didnt wanna read your report, hell tell everyone about the OOS fish you caught accidentally. But 80% of the fish in your photos were OOS, you cant expect anyone to believe you were trying to avoid these fish. And that my friend is your responsibility as an angler.

eh thorold...... just keep fishin and dont worry bout anyone they got a prob with it thet um whinn.... we will just keep fishin...... if a CO comes up to ya which will prolly happen now.... just tell em your targetin crappie and perch and youll be fine! bass will hit regardless of what your targetin just gettum in the water as quick as ya can...... keep your eyes in the back of your head now though...and carry your fishin licence....sad to say!!

Well ,this picture posting thing brings up a question for me . I use another host site for posting pictures . If it works like photo bucket & all the pictures can be accessed through that account , then my photo posting will be ended , unless I keep photos in there that are only posted on here . I wasn't aware that pm'ed pictures may be accessed .......The net is the net & whatever you say or show is open to the www. .......time for some changes.

James we only poked fun at you because we thought you were OK. If your going to do stuff like that you better expect a revving. How about you and I go out and catch some new pictures?

Hellfish is simply nipping something in the bud here guys and I didn't think he was targeting anyone in particular at all. This is the time of year allot of OOS fish are incidentally caught. Posting pictures of your targeted fish are no problem but posting pictures of OOS fish with recognizable backgrounds is indeed reckless. If you don't believe me then go down to the bottom of this page and click the little link titled "view my stats". I can't remember a day where there were less than 5000 page loads on this site. How many of those 5000 views were members contributing?

Now we all know we need more CO's and we have all seen offenses being committed and our core group (Thorold Fisher included) take note and do the right thing and call the tips line but we can also do our part by not posting pictures of backgrounds inland or specific locations where the fish are right now. We have a private message system installed and there is a great little chat room installed which you can find down by the stats counter. Use this for petty arguments and you'll likely clear things p live rather than making yourself look like a whiny soap star.

There is midle ground here boys and Rory DID "tip toe" into this subject. The guy is mellow for the most part and his concerns aren't for greed of a spot or fish; it's a concern for OUR fishery so stop banging with him. Lets come to some common ground.

Well ,this picture posting thing brings up a question for me . I use another host site for posting pictures . If it works like photo bucket & all the pictures can be accessed through that account , then my photo posting will be ended , unless I keep photos in there that are only posted on here . I wasn't aware that pm'ed pictures may be accessed .......The net is the net & whatever you say or show is open to the www. .......time for some changes.

Photobucket is a public source. You get free use of the service in return they put the pics up for public viewing,and the selling of images. The service has to make money somehow. Only my fishing pics are there. We installed a photo program to our computer for the rest of our pics.

Archived