I got pulled over

Dan Andrews

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=2589778

NRP kicks off boating safety campaign

Posted By Standard Staff

Updated 18 hours ago

Boaters are being reminded about basic safety practices as the marine unit of the Niagara Regional Police ramps up waterway patrols.

The official launch of this year's police patrol coincides with the North American Safe Boating Awareness Week campaign, which runs Saturday to Friday.

Over the next week, the NRP unit will be stopping vessels, checking for safety equipment and reminding boaters about basic precautions.

In a Friday release, the NRP lists some rules for safe boating:

- each person onboard must wear an approved, appropriately-sized personal flotation device

- remember most people drown in the first 30 seconds to one minute of immersion in cold water from "cold shock," not hypothermia

- alcohol is prohibited onboard small runabout boats, but permitted in large vessels in which a person can live, as long as the boat is moored, anchored or docked

- no one can drink alcohol while a boat is moving

- as of last Sept. 15, everyone who operates a motorized pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board

- to find out about minimum safety equipment, licensing and operator card requirements, visit www.boatingsafety.gc.ca

- take a boating course, whether you are a new or experienced

Just after I read this I went fishing for walleye in the Mouth of the Niagara and I was called over by the NRP who has a nice fancy boat and they checked my equipment and fishing licence. Nice guys by the way but I was surprised to see them. I think they probably felt the same way seeing me out there in a yak with a rigger rod in the pouring rain :)

No fish. Got half way to the white buoy and my Wife called and informed me she couldn't get to work because I had her car keys :blush: . I trolled half way back before the fuzz blew up on the water. They told me the only fish reported caught to them was gobies today. Guess I did well with two sheepshead at 6 this morning :/

Oh ya. Bailer was the first thing they asked for and I offered the whistle and flashlight. Last few years they were fining people for having dead batteries in their flashlight. It has to work so check your stuff.

Oh ya. Bailer was the first thing they asked for and I offered the whistle and flashlight. Last few years they were fining people for having dead batteries in their flashlight. It has to work so check your stuff.

Good to know! I was told that it was only a PFD, bailer and whistle were required for small crafts. I will make sure I bring an operational flashlight with me from now on as well. Thanks chilli

Maybe someone could post a list of the items required to be carried in different size boats.

The basic kit from a store for $15-20 has the following:

the bailing bucket

50' of bouyant heaving line

whistle ( for signalling)

flashlight (change batteries often, ones in the kit are cheap)

Added basics: an anchor attached to 50' of bouyant line

minimum of one paddle

one approved PFD per person onboard, accessible to the passengers. If it is crammed in the storage space you get tagged.

Hey Chilli, I normally don't comment to your posts because i have respect in what you believe in, BUT, I have to ask, Were you naked in the kayak when they "pulled" you over? and if so, Oh man We ALL need to know the details!!!!!!LMAO

Again, We don't Know each other but!!!man that was way to easy LOL lets go fishin

Hey Chilli, I normally don't comment to your posts because i have respect in what you believe in, BUT, I have to ask, Were you naked in the kayak when they "pulled" you over? and if so, Oh man We ALL need to know the details!!!!!!LMAO

Again, We don't Know each other but!!!man that was way to easy LOL lets go fishin

No of coarse not :blush: I have to wear my float coat :P . I think your getting me confused with the good doctor :lol:

Besides kayaking up a small creek or wetland is one thing but if your fishing; a good thick pair off blue jeans are necessary. Those fish have quills and there's not allot of room for fish to flop around in a kayak :o

B)

Good to know! I was told that it was only a PFD, bailer and whistle were required for small crafts. I will make sure I bring an operational flashlight with me from now on as well. Thanks chilli

If you don't know you should get a list of regulations. Different size boats need different things. Also rules for fishing off shore.

chilli

best thing for kayak fishing. i got some for myself and the kiddies and they take all the hassle out of onboard spikey attacks. i did attach a section of bungy elastic to leash it to the boat but basically it is so easy to use you don't need a net and never need to put the fish into your yak and threaten life-and-limb, just hold the fish in the water at the side of your boat while you unhook it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Gillbass.jpg

chilli

best thing for kayak fishing. i got some for myself and the kiddies and they take all the hassle out of onboard spikey attacks. i did attach a section of bungy elastic to leash it to the boat but basically it is so easy to use you don't need a net and never need to put the fish into your yak and threaten life-and-limb, just hold the fish in the water at the side of your boat while you unhook it.

Gillbass.jpg

Thanks for that but I'm still not fishing naked :Gonefishing:

Sun tanning maybe :worthy: but no fishing. Oh the thought of a barbed hook :crazy:

Yaks are unsinkable...so why would you have to have a bailer??

Actually I spend allot of time in the shallows and the bottom is getting rather thin. I either need a thick coat of epoxy or another kayak real soon. Man you get going real fast in the current by the Peace Bridge and there are some shallow sharp reefs but if the bottom gets ripped out a bailer won't help anyway.

Thanks for that but I'm still not fishing naked :Gonefishing:

Sun tanning maybe :crazy: but no fishing. Oh the thought of a barbed hook :o

Permanent piercing :worthy:

Archived