How do you cath brown trout they are driving me crazy

coreyhkh

Can any one give me ant tips on get a brown to bite. I have tried every thing from spinner baits to live worms and they just look the other way. Today I tried flys they worked on the salmon but not the trout.

I am trying to catch just one because I have never caught one before.

Also another question I have is Ian seeing alot of dead salmon with there stomach cut. Are people just after the eggs.

Guest Pike212

3 way swivel, 4-6 lb. fluorocarbon with a small hook and rainbow roe. Bottom bounce by the port Dalhousie dam.

Salmon come back to freshwater, spawn, and die. You'll see lots in marinas and other shallow waters on their last legs or already dead now since the spawn is done. I'm sure there are guys takin eggs and chuckin them back too for the browns.

Use single eggs. Hard for them to deny. Most of the fish in the system are snackin on salmon eggs that naturally flow down stream. I also get them on minnow imitations. Bottom bouncing is the best way to get em in Port. Although you can get em close to shore via float. Hope this helps.

RB

Wecome to my world :wall:

Ha ha .....good one Ron......:lol: . Sometimes one can learn how to catch fish by taking a walk around an area where fish are being caught and talk to the seasoned anglers . They will show you their set ups & you can watch how they bottom bounce those bags or flies etc. You will soon get the drift of the "feel" as the sinker skips lightly along the bottom .

Ha ha .....good one Ron......:lol: . Sometimes one can learn how to catch fish by taking a walk around an area where fish are being caught and talk to the seasoned anglers . They will show you their set ups & you can watch how they bottom bounce those bags or flies etc. You will soon get the drift of the "feel" as the sinker skips lightly along the bottom .

from personal experience Bill you got a better chance of getting thrown into the water in port d than learning how to catch browns there, not saying that everyone is like that, but some of the people I have talked to are like that

i agree with some of the idiots that think they own it, a couple of years back a guy try to push my buddy out of the way and guess what happend to the retard, got ko'd, priceless moment. no effence to any one but most of the guys that fish theirand think they own it, just only fish there and thats it, you put half these guys float fishin rivers and can't get squat, or dont have a clue

kinda agree with the whole port situation...which is why i never fish there

stick to the poool...plenty of spots to go around

Can be the case of a few spoils out of the bunch, but that should not deter you from fishing there. I admit that half of the guys that fish there are not the guys who will make the trek to the pool on a regular basis. More convenient to step out of the car...take two steps and launch your three way! Some guys in the past thought they owned the pier. Guess what, your gonna get that all over the place. I've had confrontations in the whirlpool from people who think its okay to take your spot after you have hooked a fish and venture down stream to land him. It doesn't go over well! LOL Bottom line don't let anyone bully you into not wanting to fish, you have the same right they do.

RB

There are literally 100's maybe even 1000's of local spots a person can catch some nice trout in and around the Niagara Region. It never seems to amaze me that all the attention seems to be put on a handful of locations and then people wonder or complain that they are heavily fished. B)

Lots of fish in Port Dalhousie !!!! Browns, Bows, Chinnies, Coho's, Sailfish, Marlin, stay there folks, lots of room for all of you, just cast out and hold on tight, LOL

There are alot of young people that are getting into fishing, that do not have the opportunity or finances to travel to different areas to fish Trout. That being said you would think the so called adults would want to help and encourage the young people.

port is too much

you cant enjoy fishing there

people there think they own it specially those loud retards that gonna end up in the water one day

i never have any problems there because if anyone tries to step on my toes they know whats gonna happen and you gotta be the same way

go there and have your spot...dont let anyone bully you out

thats it

theres lots of fish for everyone there no need for anyone to be steppin on others peoples toes...

Right on, Port Dalhousie is THE best trout hole in Ontario !!! Doesn't matter where you fish, half the time the trout can't wait for your bait to hit the water. They'll jump right out of the water to take your presentation. If someone pushes you out of the way, just fish 10 feet further down. No difference. (If you never see me fishing there, it's because I can't take too much excitement, and all that trout action would do me in, but I have fished there in the past)

Corey, as mentioned earlier, bottom bouncing with roe, streamers, plastics. One just

has to put in the time. Asking questions and watching will help with the hook ups as well.

And of course the trout have to be on the feed.

Many times us regulars, well we don't get

skunked, we just wash our tackle from time to time ;)

I don't meet many if any people down at Port that get intimidated by the regulars there.

It's a very simple system fishing down there, and after watching how it's done for a few

minutes, one just jumps in and enjoy the sport.

Any spot in Niagara is going to have a few grumps, so you just deal with it with good

communication, and all is good.

Yesterday at Port I was fishing beside a family I have not met before. They did not have

the set up to get long casts for bottom bouncing and as a result, we tangled a few times.

So the solution was simple, watch a wait. They would wait till my drift was complete, as I

would with them. We actually switched places from time to time, to avoid tangles.

But the tangles still happened from time to time, which is expected, with the number of people fishing the pier.

In the party beside me was a guy with his wife, and maybe three year old daughter, and

grandpa as well. They had fun fishing and playing with the child and the guy netted a

fish for me.

I was asked various questions which I gladly answered, and they totally enjoyed

their day out and were not intimidated at all, by the regulars.

They fished, played with child, had their picnic, and enjoyed the day :)

I have no clue why one would feel intimidated fishing at Port, unless it's a confidence thing.

And even with that, again, one just has to watch and learn for a bit.

When in Rome......

:Gonefishing:

Corey, as mentioned earlier, bottom bouncing with roe, streamers, plastics. One just

has to put in the time. Asking questions and watching will help with the hook ups as well.

And of course the trout have to be on the feed.

Many times us regulars, well we don't get

skunked, we just wash our tackle from time to time ;)

I don't meet many if any people down at Port that get intimidated by the regulars there.

It's a very simple system fishing down there, and after watching how it's done for a few

minutes, one just jumps in and enjoy the sport.

Any spot in Niagara is going to have a few grumps, so you just deal with it with good

communication, and all is good.

Yesterday at Port I was fishing beside a family I have not met before. They did not have

the set up to get long casts for bottom bouncing and as a result, we tangled a few times.

So the solution was simple, watch a wait. They would wait till my drift was complete, as I

would with them. We actually switched places from time to time, to avoid tangles.

But the tangles still happened from time to time, which is expected, with the number of people fishing the pier.

In the party beside me was a guy with his wife, and maybe three year old daughter, and

grandpa as well. They had fun fishing and playing with the child and the guy netted a

fish for me.

I was asked various questions which I gladly answered, and they totally enjoyed

their day out and were not intimidated at all, by the regulars.

They fished, played with child, had their picnic, and enjoyed the day :)

I have no clue why one would feel intimidated fishing at Port, unless it's a confidence thing.

And even with that, again, one just has to watch and learn for a bit.

When in Rome......

:Gonefishing:

This is the attitude and approach everyone should have! I applaud you knightfisher for having the proper perspective on the sport. The fishing world (and world in general), would be a better place if we all had this kind of attitude! Well done!

i agree with some of the idiots that think they own it, a couple of years back a guy try to push my buddy out of the way and guess what happend to the retard, got ko'd, priceless moment. no effence to any one but most of the guys that fish theirand think they own it, just only fish there and thats it, you put half these guys float fishin rivers and can't get squat, or dont have a clue

Exactly, trib!

Archived