Erie Perch Today

jhm123452000

The day started out really slow. Moved a round a few times and around noon the fishing really turned on. The 3 of us ended up with 95 perch. The ice seemed to hold up really well threw this mild weather. Use caution if you go out I fished on about 15" of ice today but I'm sure I crossed some thinner ice getting to the spot I fished. If you are going to head out a good set of cleats would really help. Here's a few pics.

395212789.jpg

395212790.jpg

395212794.jpg

395212801.jpg

395212802.jpg

Now you got me drooling jhm . The perch had lock jaw at Port Dal. yesterday ,even live minnows didn't entice them . But I had a nice perch dinner 2 days ago (from the freezer). I got some Panko crumbs for them and they were delicious ! Some of those cooked fillets you have there look like crappie or gill fillets . Nice going on the catch and enjoy !

Now you got me drooling jhm . The perch had lock jaw at Port Dal. yesterday ,even live minnows didn't entice them . But I had a nice perch dinner 2 days ago (from the freezer). I got some Panko crumbs for them and they were delicious ! Some of those cooked fillets you have there look like crappie or gill fillets . Nice going on the catch and enjoy !

Panko crumbs I keep meaning to try them! Next time.

Nice job slayin' em man. Ya try the panko and do not buy it at the grocery store, too expensive. BULK BARN :))))

We got a small box of Panko crumbs to try out at the Super Store on 4th Ave.....$2.49 . We used about 1/3 box for 12 fillets . Don't forget to dip the fillets in a beaten egg wash for the crumbs to stick well and get the oil hot first .I put about 1/4" of canola into a cast iron fry pan and add a tablespoon of butter and mix it in well , which browns the fillets faster . (not too hot or the butter will burn)

Now I see what you did with the larger perch ......removed the short line of bones above the rib cage bones . They must have been beauties ! Thanks for the tip Phranchise !

my buddy is stoked to try ice fishing for the first time and suggested that we arrange to rent an ice hut on simcoe next week. I confess, I have never been hard water fishing myself and would appreciate it if someone could give me a recommend on where and who to call. Also, I assume I would take grubs, worms, minnows etc and some small jigs. What about flies? Should I try tying up something?

Dennis in Kitchener

Hey fshrguy99 try Js ice huts out of Lefroy easy to get to and the guy is really nice and all he cares about is you catching fish. I brought my 3 yr old with me and we had a great time, you can find his info on the lake simcoe message board good luck!

Hey fshrguy99 try Js ice huts out of Lefroy easy to get to and the guy is really nice and all he cares about is you catching fish. I brought my 3 yr old with me and we had a great time, you can find his info on the lake simcoe message board good luck!

THANKS JW

Archived