Friggin' Knots!

ninepointer

I know "how" to tie fishing knots; been doing it all my life. I've seen every illustration there is on knots. I moisten the knot before tightening it. The fishing line is fresh and has no abbrasions. I do everything I'm supposed to do.

But all my life I've had the same problem:

I've got to attempt the knot 3, 4, maybe 5 times before I get one that doesn't snap at the slightest pressure. Clinch knot, improved clinch, palomar knot; it doesn't matter. Obviously the mono is cutting upon itself when I tighten the knot. But why? I envie you guys why can tie your knot in 5 seconds and keep on fishing. For me a new knot is a 5 minute ordeal. What am I doing wrong?

I find I have problems tying knots with heavier lines I use 12 lbs mono for largies and I always use improved clinch and normally I wrap it 10 times but with that heavy of line I can't it never tightens on me so I switched down to 3-4 wraps and it still holds up well, I usually give it a quick jerk after.

Sounds like old line or just bad stuff. Tried the rapala line and it seemed really bad for breaking. I now stick with P-Line flouro-clear in max 8lb test (It’s cheap) anything more I use braid and a flouro leader.

Don’t buy:

If you need to blow the dust of the pack of line at the store

Its sitting in the window

the line is chaulky, or feels dry

Hope this helps

Niagarafisher

I've been experimenting with the Uni-knot. Tied 10 in a row and all were a success! It eats up more line than some knots, but I think I've found a winner!

Guest Pike212

I use uni on all lines 80% of the time except with heavy fluoro usually the improved clinch, never have problems. If you're snapping your line while tying, I'd agree with niagarafisher, old crappy line. I have buddies who have the same problem cuz they've had the same line on the reel baking in their garages, cars, etc for several years.

I'm currently trying to find a good loop knot for top water frogs but have a really hard time controlling how big the loop ends up. I came across the rapala knot in the meantime...pretty cool and easy. If you don't like using snap swivels, its perfect.

Sounds like old line or just bad stuff. Tried the rapala line and it seemed really bad for breaking. I now stick with P-Line flouro-clear in max 8lb test (It’s cheap) anything more I use braid and a flouro leader.

Don’t buy:

If you need to blow the dust of the pack of line at the store

Its sitting in the window

the line is chaulky, or feels dry

Hope this helps

Niagarafisher

That would be a good way for them to sell more lures ;)

I find the end you pull makes a big difference. Tighten the tag first and it snaps easier. Tighten the mainline end first and it's stronger but the line get kinked in front of the lure.

The other problem might be your guides. This hits home with me because last night I had the same problem. I let my wife use my rod the day before and she got mad and reeled tried reeling the body bait right through the rod tip :slap: . Turns out that steel eye without the ceramic insert hurts the line. I could barely feel it but it made a difference. I reluctantly moved the line to the next eye down and stripped some line and it was fine.

To check line strength I make a simple one loop knot about 12" from the end and slowly pull the knot tight . If the line is bad it will easily break at the knot . I usually put a one loop knot just above my sinker to make the line weaker there in case the weight gets snagged up . I have some old line in the basement which has been there for years & it still seems to be ok . Mono line can be compared to elastic bands ......if left in the sun or hot car it will break down quickly . I mostly use the improved clinch knot with about 7-8 wraps from 4-10 lb & 4-6 wraps with 12-30 lb. I pull the tabs tight with pliers on the tabs & the hook itself a few times , and always wet the knot before tightening . I also like the P-lines .

Take a look at this site. The animations are easy to follow, making it simple to master even the toughest knots. Keep in mind that many knots will perform differently with different materials. A knot that does well in mono might not work as well with flouro, or vice-versa.

One knot that doesn't appear on this site is the Turle knot (sometimes incorrectly referred to as the turtle knot). It is primarily a fly fishing knot, very popular for salmon flies, but can be used for other applications. It requires a hook that has a completely closed loop (no "gap" for the line to pull through), but is fast, reliable and easy to tie. Check the second link. There's actually an even quicker and easier way to tie this knot, but I couldn't find any video links. If we ever meet up remind me to show it to you.

Animated Knots

Turl Knot and Double Turl Knot

Another knot you may want to try is the Davy Knot. It was developed by a guy named Davy Wotten for quickly changing flies in competative events. I've been using it for the last couple of years and I've never had a problem with it. Not only is it strong it's quick and easy to tie even with November numbed fingers.

My link

I'm currently trying to find a good loop knot for top water frogs but have a really hard time controlling how big the loop ends up. I came across the rapala knot in the meantime...pretty cool and easy. If you don't like using snap swivels, its perfect.

Bowline. Such thin line it will probably clinch good and not undo itself. You can control the loop size with a finger, or small round whatever.

I can only remember the palomar and clinch.

I tried that hangmans just now. I like it very much. Thank you Phranchise.

I know "how" to tie fishing knots; been doing it all my life. I've seen every illustration there is on knots. I moisten the knot before tightening it. The fishing line is fresh and has no abbrasions. I do everything I'm supposed to do.

But all my life I've had the same problem:

I've got to attempt the knot 3, 4, maybe 5 times before I get one that doesn't snap at the slightest pressure. Clinch knot, improved clinch, palomar knot; it doesn't matter. Obviously the mono is cutting upon itself when I tighten the knot. But why? I envie you guys why can tie your knot in 5 seconds and keep on fishing. For me a new knot is a 5 minute ordeal. What am I doing wrong?

I would say switch to flouro. I haven't had any problems since I switched.

If the line breaks above the knot when you tighten it, I would say its crappy line or knicked line (spend a little more money, because that's your primary contact between you, your lure or a big fish) If you tighten the line and the line pulls through the hook and leaves a "pig tail", the line isn't tightening on itself. If its been happening for as long as you can remember and you always use the same line, try a different line - *cough* flouro *cough* - if it happens on different line, try different knots.

When I tie a knot (improved cinch), I pull it so it starts to tighten while the line is in my mouth getting moistened. I hold the main line and tag end together in my left hand and pull by the hook with my right. Once the knot starts to tighten, I pinch the knot in my fingers and pull the knot to the hook while still holding the main line. Once the knot hits the top of the hook, I take the tag end and pull that with me teeth, while holding the hook and main line, and pull it tight. I haven't had to many issues that way.

Again, I would spend a bit more money and get a premium mono or go to a flouro.

I like the hangmans knot posted by Phranchise , seems to be fast and simple . But , I also like to put the line through the eye of the lure/hook twice before completing the knot . I believe it adds a little more strength and less slippage . The idea of most fishing knots is that the loops and winds act like a spring or cushion . If the line is past it's prime and becomes dry , brittle and less flexible , even the Don Knotts will be useless.........B)

Good call on running the line through the eye twice smerch. I think that would be called the reverse improved clinch knot or improved hangmans knot. I remember that knot from "knot wars". Here is that knot losing to the "triple loop knot"...might have to give that one a try!

Archived