First Gar

miller

couple weeks ago i joined a buddy on the lower niagara, we we're hoping to target musky or bass but out plans changed shortly after we hit a bay loaded with gar. i managed to land my first gar and lost several others. one thing i have to say is that is the weirdest texture when you first grab them. they feel like sandpaper coated in slime.

firstgar.jpg

Guest Pike212

Very cool, I made it a personal goal to catch one this year, don't really know where to begin looking though...they say to replace your hooks with rope is pretty much all I know.

Their mouth is hard and boney .....not easy to hook ! A small rap with small sharp trebles will work sometimes or hook 2 small trebles , one behind the other with a minnow or two and hope for a hook up . I mounted one of those fish years ago & used tin snips to cut through those tough scales . The teeth are as sharp as needles and the fight like crazy . The water doesn't look very clear for the Niagara there ?

the shoreline was fairly muddy due to the amount of jetboats going by as it was the long weekend. and there were many around 4ft long cruising around just very hard to get a hookset on. as for the rope suggestion i might try that behind a spinner. i landed this guy on a spinner i rigged up with a big pike fly i had found while fishing this spring. if it was a treble hook i probably would have landed a few more.

Archived