Alabama Rig, Like Or Don't Like?

Bryan

I wasn't thinking about line that heavy , prob.because I seldom use line over 10 lb. except if I'm carping or fishing for big cats . I see your point and agree . I've had bass swallow a single hook & cut the line instead of trying to winch it out with pliers .....and hope they survived . We are going to lose some fish regardless of the baits we use . I can't make a definite decision about the A-rig because I haven't read much feedback from others who know more about this rig . It reminds me of a rake with hooks ...... :unsure:

i use 4 way spreaders when ice fishing produces tons of fish, same idea with this rig except its artificial baits. seems legit to me, i love the idea of being able to use a lure that looks like a school of fish. in fact im probably going to buy tons of these, being only 20$ its not a huge loss to lose one, not compared to musky baits some up to 100$ a piece. now i no longer have to jam 10 minnows on a hook to look like a school of fish just use one of these sick rigs. another benefit is if u get weeds on one jig, u got 3 moar that can still be hit.

just slip me $20 and I'll tell you that you lost a rig

The heavy line is not for fighting the fish. When fishing the right places, sometmes you get hung up on structure and weeds, trees, maybe even the titanic...lol; the heavy line gets it back out, even if it means straightening a hook or separating a swivel...

I think 90lb test is a bit high; maybe 60lb would suffice???

Like I said, I have no experience in this area, so I'm not the one who should try to explain this (but I'm just having some fun)...most of the guys who go out with their boats will know...

And when you get that boat you're dreaming of niagarangler :D you will see...its not like the shore fishing we do...

Well anyway, based on what I have seen, heard and the little research that I have done, I do think that the A-rig should not be allowed in tournaments. In a tournament everyone should be on a level playing field, and having so many hooks in the water is not fair.

As for the recreational angler, well its your choice to use it or not.

However the idea of coming up with a rig to imitate an entire school of fish is remarkable. This idea is what really impresses me...

Anyone ever try using I hook on it with the rest as dummies?

Well anyway, based on what I have seen, heard and the little research that I have done, I do think that the A-rig should not be allowed in tournaments. In a tournament everyone should be on a level playing field, and having so many hooks in the water is not fair.

That brings up the question of what is a level playing field in a tournament? Everyone uses the same bait? Same rod and reel? Same size line? Same boat/motor?

As for the recreational angler, well its your choice to use it or not.

However the idea of coming up with a rig to imitate an entire school of fish is remarkable. This idea is what really impresses me...

Anyone ever try using I hook on it with the rest as dummies?

The Alabama rig is just a copy of a saltwater umbrella rig, used for trolling. It is a single hook rig and has been around for some time

The heavy line is not for fighting the fish. When fishing the right places, sometmes you get hung up on structure and weeds, trees, maybe even the titanic...lol; the heavy line gets it back out, even if it means straightening a hook or separating a swivel...

I think 90lb test is a bit high; maybe 60lb would suffice???

Like I said, I have no experience in this area, so I'm not the one who should try to explain this (but I'm just having some fun)...most of the guys who go out with their boats will know...

And when you get that boat you're dreaming of niagarangler :D you will see...its not like the shore fishing we do...

I hear ya man. It's all about perspective. I'm just happy that we've managed to have a civil, yet informative debate over such a touchy subject! :clapping:

I really like the "umbrella rig" biugli is talking about. it has 1 hooked lure and the rest of the lures are "dummies".

I would use that once and awhile, while fishing.. but i still wouldn't feel right using the alabama rig with 4 - 5 hooks... it feels wrong, and it might be to much of a hassel..

:) Thanks for the feedback bigugli, the umbrella rig is just what I was thinking about...

I hear ya man. It's all about perspective. I'm just happy that we've managed to have a civil, yet informative debate over such a touchy subject! :clapping:

Amen brother...

In follow-up, I fished the rig for about a 1/2 hour with 5 four inch swimbaits(New York Waters). It definitely is a work out. The fish weren't active so I didn't have any hits. I can say in the area I'm fishing I snagged a few fish on a regular crankbait with treble hooks but nothing on this rig. Althought there are five hooks they are swimbait hooks that have 5 hook points total versus any crankbait that has 6 hook points on two trebles. It is a slow moving rig with a lot of drag so it's likely that a fish that it is approaching will not get 'snagged' unless that fish actually took a swipe at one of the baits.I think it would spook any fish that wasn't actively feeding. A regular crankbait moves much quicker and would be more likely to snag a fish. Smerch mentioned about breaking off the rig and killing a fish, because of the cost of the rig plus the baits(plus multiple catches at once) it's recommended to use 80 pound braid which I did on a heavy action set up. The whole thing weighs more than 3 ounces so a special set up is needed. I can see potential when the fish are feeding on schools of bait as it really looked like a school of fish swimming in the water. I will have it in the boat this season and use it when the opportunity presents it's self but I think our northern fishing in natural lakes is very different than the reservoir fishing where this lure has been super successful. I think for most anglers that purchase this rig it will sit in the bottom of their box because it's tough to fish and has to be fished in the right open water conditions with active fish. Multiple catches on one cast really are the exception but get the most talked about.

I'll provide some addtional feedback once I get some addtional experience with it. If I feel it's harming the fish I would definitely stop using it no matter how successful it is.

Archived