First 20 Pound Fish Of The Year

dunder

I spent good Friday on the water on my never ending search for that elusive trophy carp. While I have caught my share of double figure fish this year the largest was a tad over 18 pounds. Not that I want to sound ungrateful I want my springtime lunker please!

The night before my fishing trip a big, bright and full moon filled the sky. I seldom catch carp with a full moon. The day brought high pressure, blue sky and cool, north winds. Because of that my confidence level was low.

Regardless, I made my way to the spot. It wasn't long before my bite alarm goes off. I play the fish to the net and see a small common sloshing about. Not the fish I was hoping for but still a good sign considering the weather factors I thought. Back in the water it goes. I then reset my rigs then sit back and wait for the next fish.

Well, the wait for the next fish was a long one and it was making me nervous as it was hours since the last catch. It was approaching mid-afternoon by then. I was starting to doubt I would see another fish this session but to my surprise and relief I hear my bite alarm scream off! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!! I pick up the rod and feel the fish bend my rod well especially considering it was very cold water. A few minutes later I brought the fish to the bank. I weighed her and was happy to see the scales display twenty pounds and six ounces. It was a lot of fun catching a feisty fish at that weight after a long winter of struggling for the little guy's if I was lucky.

So, that's my personal best for 2012 but I'm not satisfied because I know big brother is out there somewhere!

83c38f81-2.jpg

I have been patiently waiting for the water to warm up a bit more. Few more warmer temp is all we need,

Thanks for the motivating report.

Nice fish Mark ! I know your are a big guy and that carp looks like it's close to 30 lbs.to me ! It looks like a good start for carping this year !

Archived