Belated Bass Opener

niagarangler89

I wasn't able to take full advantage of the official opener yesterday, but (thankfully) the fishing today more than made up for that!

Thoroldfisher and myself had an amazing day shore fishing the lower for smallies. Something like 40 fish were caught between the two of us throughout the day.

Most were in the 1.5-2lb range with a few pushing 3 or slightly over. We weren't able to find the hogs that we know lurk those waters, but we still had a blast!

You know it was a good day when your thumbs are cut up and sore, and the stench of fish still lingers on your hands even after a couple washings :)

Here are some of the pics...enjoy!

65a7eeab.jpg

16078677.jpg

c7594a20.jpg

dab29c92.jpg

2b783c7d.jpg

a78dd3a1.jpg

553279_10150870867710950_1559035436_n.jpg

Way to go guys ! Nice clean looking smallies and nice to have clear water to fish them . They are a blast to catch and all the better when they do the acrobatic jumps & dives . Did you have a nice shore lunch ? :D

Not today Smerch, all fish were released to turn into those lower river lunkers. The last picture was one of our double headers and fish were released right after the picture. I also brought my fly fishing rod down there today for a little experimentation and managed a few little guys. I lost a couple of the bigger ones due to lack of knowledge (second time ever using the rod). The rod is nothing spectacular and i picked the combo and a few flies up at dicks for 35 dollars. Pretty much something to get me started. Here are a couple more pictures.

bass3.jpg

bass2.jpg

bass.jpg

bass4.jpg

Steve let me know when you guys go next ...

Those smallies would be fun on a centerpin :P

Were you at the pool?

Will do man!

I'm sure they'd be a blast on the pin...you can even try them on the fly too...my buddy is just starting and he's already landed a couple down there with his fly setup.

It's a little upstream from the pool...little bit of a hike to get to, but definitely worth it!

Had another unreal day down there...spent a little less time fishing, but did just as well.

Biggest was a nice 3.5er...averaged about 2-2.5.

3/16 oz white spinnerbait with a white grub trailer seems to be the hot lure down there...but soft plastics (craws, minnows, worms, etc) on bottom does even better.

Here's the big one for the day

d763015e.jpg

Only another 20 fish caught today eh? what a honey hole! Cant wait to try some live bait down there and make that number closer to 40

Archived