Salmon Return?

Bryan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, you guys are awful, posting photos and all. I'm actually not in Niagara, but near London. Might just say to heck with it and drive up anyways, the 407 has really tamed the toronto monster.

The "Masters of Troll" are already getting on my Case! lol (not you! ... just already getting angry pm's and posts on my other board)

40+ years of fishing, 20+ on the internet and there is something so "Special about Salmon Season".....

I dont get it? (the secrecy, the bs, the couch potatoes, the Knowit alls, blah blah)

You'd think the HARP PROJECT was in high gear around this time.

Anyway, hope you get a chance to get out.

It will not be too long before they start down your way! (The Salmon runs)

- have the Trolls started yet?

*SMILES*

Heh, screw the flamers, salmon fishing isn't actually some big secret. Call me a worthless lazy angler, but I truly appreciate honest reports like yours... how else am I going to find out what's going on... it's an 8 hour round trip and that's a big pile of gas money, and I ain't rich. So thanks again, ignore the haters, mebbe I'll see you out there.

lol .... I'm with yah Icehut!

All year People post wonderful (and informative) reports on:

- Bass

- Pike

- Sucker Runs

- Carp Fishing

- Drums

- Walleye

- Perch

Although more "conservative" - Steelheads, Muskie

and then all of a Sudden comes along the Salmon Season and things start to get weird.

I've been fishing them for over 30+ years now (40+ of fishing) and it;s not exactly a "Secret" as to the LOCATIONS.

OMG - like the choices are limited arent they?

Up here in the GTA we basically have 3-4 "main piers" ... and then 2-3 smaller tribs. Obviously, each one is WELL KNOWN.

These "Trolls" seem to have some belief that the pier is going to be all for themselves.

Then they also have the odacity to Rant on and on about their "Esquisite knowledge" of the fish.

I seem to recall that the majority of CHINNIES are a STOCKED (Take fish).

Guess I read differentently than they do?

During 4-5 months of the Spring and Summer there are 100's of Charter Boats and Private ones as well - out there TOTALLY SLAMMING the fish on a daily basis. See or Hear from any of the Couch Potatoe Trolls then? .... NO.

Then the other experts come out and start the old (40+ years now) MARSHMELLOW DEBATE. OMG it's sickening.

Pretty funny how after 40+ years you dont see a SINGLE THING from the MNR about marshmellows. Other than their obvious ENDORSEMENT of it. But, .... no - when the experts need to quote MNR, it's the first thing... and with the marshmellows the BS made up regs come out.

On Sunday the fish were just SLAMMING the small garlic Marshmellows. Did I say SLAMMING them? We are not talking the Big ones tied up with 80 lbs braid and 4 treble hooks. We are talking using the most EFFECTIVE FISHING METHODS of having them float about a foot off the bottom and being demolished by the FRESH RUN SALMON.

It seems every form of LOGIC and SENSE that can be prevalent during the year goes out the window by these idiot haters and flamers.

Year after Year. It's so pathetic!

I always find it relevant to point out this fact:

Later in the season (Just before) the STEELHEAD's are coming in, we will see the SLIT CARCASSES all over the banks. Well it does not take Sherlock Holmes to determine that these fish are being taken for their Roe. Well, the MARJORITY of "ROE USERS" are Steelhead fishermen (Like myself) are they not?

* Those who "eat" the caviar (yuk) usually take the whole fish as well

So, guess that means the "Glorious Steelhead Brotherhood" seems to be the main "Culprits of this behaviour" right?

Thankfully there are RESPONSIBLE FISHERMEN out there.

I like to think, i share in that brotherhood.

I can say that on Sunday Night, the pier and harbour was very Clean... and everyone seemed to be having a great time while being responsible. It was a wonderful time to be there.

Anyway, I am going to continue doing what I have been doing for the Past 30+ years and enjoy myself.

I have no problems in POSTING my REPORTS the same way that I have posted reports on everything else.

I hope everyone gets into some great action this season.

I tend to think the "Salmon Season" is over rated in general, however .... can certainly say that when you have a 30 lb+ fish spooling your reel - That is a FRIGGIN RUSH!

Cheers

ps: At least this board allows for reports and rationale conversation on the Topic! Thank you.

That "other" well known site - cant even TALK ABOUT IT.

They prefer forms of censorship - basically feeding and endorsing the Misconceptions of the Trolls!

* I do not belong to "that site" lol (ps: What Song are you listening too right now?)

Blair....I have to say, you tell it like it is. You sure have it right when it comes to the slit carcasses.....

UPDATE: Wed Aug 15 - NIGHT FISHING EAST TRIBS

SAVE YOUR GAS MONEY

Always nice to get out to the EASY SPOTS .... lol

Was kinda counting on the "Weather report" - You know the RADAR that apparently showed Thundershowers moving through the east...

(Seriously, at 8pm that's EXACTLY what it was showing)

FACT: Not a friggin drop of rain touched the East Tribs last night!

Headed out at around 9:30pm ... hoping that some straglers and maybe even some new arrivals (if it rained) would arrive.

Well: NADA - NOTHING - NO WHERE - NO BITE - NO BUMP - NO JUMP - NO FISH!

There were about 20 guys Leaving (with nothing)

There were about 15 guys there (including us) with nothing

Worked the pier, worked the basin, worked the trench, worked the Marina ...

Stop by at the Uptown pools

Went to the SANCT to look at the ones who ran there on THURS, FRI, SAT and SUN

lol

Stopped at the STINK HOLE on the way back WEST at around 4;30 am

4-5 guys there ( They reported NOTHING)

The fishies have run where they are meant to run: UP

CHOICES:

1. Go trek to the Headwaters (WHY BOTHER! leave the spawners who have made it to the spawn alone)

2. Wait until our next REAL RAIN / WIND or FRONT

3. Target some other nice species, while you wait

4. Put in the LEG WORK and KNOWLEDGE and maybe try UP NORTH

SAVE YOUR TIME, MONEY and GAS

NOTHING

* I dedicate this to the few guys who truly deserve the heads up.

For all the Lazy Trolls - Dont care about you anyway (Not like I would ever expect the favour in return)

*SMILES* (Still a "nice" time to get out and TRY for some Fish - When their in, their on / When their not, GOOD LUCK)

Thanks for the Report Blair, I have the whole day Saturday and hopefully I will be heading out to Port D, Whirlpool and maybe a few other spots along the Niagara Coast line.. I'll be letting you know if there is any action to report..

Some guys are suggesting that because the TEMPERTURES are going to drop substancially this weekend (At night) that the BITE will improve.

- More fish moving in

I myself, am not to much in agreement with this (I'm no expert). I really think the single most important factor NEEDS to BE:

Another dumping of rain. At least 15mm.

Until that occurs, I am going to focus on other species.

Just my thoughts

Thanks for the updates. I'll still be chasing bass for a while down here. I'm thinking of taking a trip north for some Aurora's though ;D

Blair,

You are truly one of the good guys and your posts are among the most informative, entertaining, educational and honest out there.

Keep on with the fantastic info.

Cheers.

*SMILES* no worries guys!

Been there, done that before.

- work hard all week, plan a bigger trip ... cost, time etc.

I just hope that some day, when I'm having a hard day down at the Pool or Glen or Port D... someone will help me with some pointers.

lol

By the way, as always - dont forget to keep things CLEAN up this way.

Courtesy and Respect work the same where ever one goes.

I'd like to think the same is true when the GTA'rs head down to your beautiful backyard.

The experience is for us all.

Have a great weekend! I'm going to get some Bronze (smallmouth bass) tomorrow in one of the Grand Tribs.

- Worms, leaches and will get some LIVE CRAYFISH when I'm there.

They may not weight 30+lbs, but a nice Smallie on Ultra Light is never a let down.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice, Blair.

Had me a decent Noid on Sunday night. Woke up early and went down to the river. Stayed until Kickoff(NFL Football for those who live under rocks) with no luck. Got the urge to go back around 9 last night and had success.

Even at that time there were quite a few guys down there. Saw some guys doing stuff that I was not very impressed with so I wandered upstream as there were too many guys to find the corresponding cars to send their plate #'s to the MNR. Almost got walloped by a jumping Noid in waist deep water. Caught one nice sized male.

I was using a very light setup and I had to pray that it wouldn't snap, as it is the only rod I have left for the time being. I made quite a bit of noise, attracted a crowd and my night was done. As I left I gave one individual a piece of my mind with help of some colourful language. Got heckled in a language I believe was Portuguese. Thought it was better to just leave as I was clearly outnumbered. I hope they all get arse cancer!......not really...but kinda.

I was hoping to get out and try my luck at salmon fishing but all the stories tell of people really not enjoying the sport of fishing. What is it about salmon that people need to act like fools? It's my understanding that the fish really arn't for eating. What is going on. Enjoy the sport. Fish legally. Have fun.

I was hoping to get out and try my luck at salmon fishing but all the stories tell of people really not enjoying the sport of fishing. What is it about salmon that people need to act like fools? It's my understanding that the fish really arn't for eating. What is going on. Enjoy the sport. Fish legally. Have fun.

You would think folks would know better than to eat em but I saw numerous guys carrying whole fish out to the lot. I also observed a few guys gutting and dicarding carcasses. Totally unnecesary.

Guest live2fish85

I would put my money that most of the guys taking the salmon out to there cars aren't eating them. They just don't gut them and leave the fish to rot in the river.

They are rotting from the inside out....may as well let them go. If its roe your after, you can buy bulk bags of hatchery roe.....or at least dont slit it right on the spot for others to see. Kids see the carcasses slit open and thats the first thing they ask....why is its stomach cut open?? Milk a bit out and send the fish on its way...or take it home with you for other uses.

Archived