Salmon Return?

Bryan

Well I know its starting soon... but when do the Salmon start to get really close to shore? is now a good time to start?

I really want to get one this year, and will be trying from off a Pier, using spoons and rowe..

Can anyone give me some information on this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest live2fish85

I wouldn't go yet, a waste of time this early. The water is still warm. I hear people day they are in but I don't believe they are moving in yet.

We were trolling on the weekend and seemed to get our best action out in 300+ FOW. Usually starts around septemnber where you will get some on the pier. But with this warm weather and no rain lakes may not cool till later this year.

yeah that kinda what i figured, with this lack of rain and hot temps still, it might not start till late Sept..

I'm just really looking forward to starting :)

For Lures, I'll probably use Cleos (spoons) and maybe j11 or j13 rapala....

Clear water, Blues, Silver, Gold, maybe green?

Off Colour water, Yellows and red?

And Rowe is good to use during mid Fall?

Is there any live bait to try or type of minnow?

do those sound good?

(off a pier)

Guest live2fish85

Yea they sound like a good lure choice. J11 and J13 work but cleos are better and you can cover more water.

Those colours are all good to. I would go Gold an Orange then silver green and then silver blue with a few others that work well.

They will stay go get them in port credit first . Another week or so off the rocks. They use full marshmallows there and do very well. We are always 2 weeks behind them

They will stay go get them in port credit first . Another week or so off the rocks. They use full marshmallows there and do very well. We are always 2 weeks behind them

"they will stay" ? do you think they are in Port Credit? or in a week or so they will be there?

Marshmellows eh... cool thanks for the tip :)

I remember when i was a kid trying to catch them in jordan hollow with worm but never had a chance... There would always be som a-holes with nets catching them. I'm definately goung to try and get a few when they come around

First big rain storm in September is what I go by...not sure if its a wives tale or not, but I always start to get them in the lower Niagara at that time.

Any big spoon in the river works, Cleo's are nice because for their size they are heavier than most and have a nice profile. Colour depends on clarity of the water and if tis overcast or not.

Good Luck

My go to methor for them is glow spoons at night and roe bags during the day. Last year I was out at the pier in port D way to long... I think I went 36 hours straight...XD Was a blast though. I went to late though they were really grimy. I will probably go halfway through september.

fishermans pier usually can produce towards the end of august as it it much deeper than port D off the end....all you need is a nice rain and slightly cooler temps and that should bring them in, doesnt the fall derby start tomorrow?correct me if im wrong ;)

First big rain storm in September is what I go by...not sure if its a wives tale or not, but I always start to get them in the lower Niagara at that time.

Any big spoon in the river works, Cleo's are nice because for their size they are heavier than most and have a nice profile. Colour depends on clarity of the water and if tis overcast or not.

Good Luck

Agreed, First major rain in September is always a trigger in the lower. Piers seem a few weeks ahead. Give it a few weeks on the piers and start tryin. Fish come in in schools and your better early than too late.

The Temperatures are changing, the rain has finally come (alittle)... rumors are making their way around...

Summer is not over yet, but do you think they might be starting to come in from the deep and collect at the mouths of the tribs?

I think its TIME... better to be early than late..

Im going to start targeting them... i'll try to keep you all posted on my findings....

If you live in st. kitts ... a good spot check is to go to lock one and look into the spillway ... if you see any salmon in there it is time .... once the spillway is loaded with them ... the run at the end of the pier is over, you see a few they will be around the piers.

used to fish there when i was young until it was fenced off... not in the spillway... but just below... it was a great spot

Never tried fishing the inside part of the Canal.. never really thought there would be much in there, since they are draining it yearly and the fish have limmited opportunities to swim into it..

Yah, gate 12 had become too dangerous I guess. I was out there standing on top of the section of wall that fell into the water about a week before. 10-15 years ago though the salmon were in there so thick you could almost walk across the water on their backs. but in the last few years, they had almost disappeared anyway ...Then after the wall caved in I didn't see any... I wonder if it was fenced off for safety reasons or to keep people out of GM's back yard ... or both ... I know alot of off-roaders and partiers were using that land .

Probably soemthing to do with all parties involved ... always saw a lot of burnt out cars in there and dumped into the canal ... they did have a drowning the year before it got fenced off but that was way upstream by the blue ghost tunnel (another reason it was fenced off, they closed off that tunnel and people would go down there and do whatever they could to gain access).

As well at one point someone took that initial turn too tight and wound up in the water ... close off all liability when you can I guess.

Also saw a few kids going back in there with backpacks and gardening instruments (on GM property not seaway) ... was in august ... crop harvesting time? Lotta shadey business went on there

FISH are Currently EAST!

lol period.

Action has been very hot at the "Fartherst" known spot in East Trib.

- Thurs, Fri and Sat were super hot (with the heavy rains)

- Sunday was "Decent"

I hope to be going again on Wed (tomorrow)

- Rain today, but it is very light (Instead of sitting in the wet, being a bit lazy and going to wait until tomorrow when it;s dry. The fish are There, so I figure "slower bite'... but still BITE!)

PORT CREDIT/ BRONTE ( Humber, Rouge) are currently WASTE of TIME! (Shore & PIER fishing)

- always a great day to get out and fish ... but right this moment, basically NO ACTION in the WEST.

For me ( I live north central GTA) it's all realitive for the distance.

- Takes me about 1 hr to go east

- Takes me 1 hr to go west

- Takes me 1 1/2 to get down to Niagara

So.... I hopefully try to go where the FISH ARE! *SMILES*

EAST, EAST and one more time EAST!

Going crazy waiting for salmon, but a 3-4 hr drive past toronto... lol, I dunno...

East Trib is exactly 100 kms from Central Toronto (yonge & 401)

Niagara is 133 km from Yonge & 401

2.5 hours TOPS! *SMILES* (that's driving at 115 Kms, no need to speed)

the only factor that will change that is the Traffic.

If you leave around 7pm from Niagara ... should be decent (WEEKDAYS or Sunday) arrive around 9:30 - 10pm

Then on the reverse (Going home) ... Leave around 5am and avoid most of the rush hour traffic up here in the GTA.

This might help: lol

FemaleChinookSalmonhenwithBlair.jpg

AnotherNiceHenatPortHopeBlairWelsh.jpg

Archived