Salmon Return?

Bryan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a vending machine at Bob's fast n Fresh in thorold that has Roe - seems legit, I've used it a few times but don't remember if I caught anyhting with that roe specifically. Bags look and feel just like the roe bags from petes.

What do you guys think about this?

They are rotting from the inside out....may as well let them go. If its roe your after, you can buy bulk bags of hatchery roe.....or at least dont slit it right on the spot for others to see. Kids see the carcasses slit open and thats the first thing they ask....why is its stomach cut open?? Milk a bit out and send the fish on its way...or take it home with you for other uses.

Dave .... i love your well spoken words.

There are many alternative ways of securing roe:

1. Definately support the local dealers and sponsors of this site (They always have PRIMO ROE at fair prices)

2. Go to ANY of the CHARTER STATIONS and tons of it hanging around (Caught - gutted fish anyway - Free)

Went out last night first to BRONTE (Totally DEAD... No fish in sight) Course, when they do start to run ....the KILL ZONE will be in full force, with no RESPECT for discreation or Regs: SHAME

Then stopped in at another Trib on the way back to T.O. and me and the Brother In Law hit into 6 and lost 4 more (Skein and Glow Cleos)

I kept this big Hen and she graciously gave me enough for a season:

Salute , Kiss, Photo .... peaceful end to a great life.

* Bagged ... off to my dinner table (Ahhhh, garden - Freakin Roses love em!)

BigHenforKeepsWestTrib.jpg

4. MILKING ..... you old son of a gun! lol

*By the REGS... a NO NO

However, I have been doing it for over 30+ Years and have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the method. Could never figure out what exactly is WRONG with gently letting GRAVITY (Small Squeeze) give me some GOLD and NOT HURTING the fish!

We are not talking about STAMPING on the STOMACH! ...lol

Later in the Season when I begin chasing the Chrome (who hang out BEHIND the CHINNIES) .... I

t is a reality that once in a while - one will be Foul Hooked.

I land em ... give em a little squeeze and Fill up on some wonderful LOOSEY GOOSEY... and then let them go on their way. NO HARM, NO FOUL.

The LOOSE ROE is practically PRE- PACKAGED, just needs to be run in the river water for a couple minutes ... bag it, Salt it., Freeze it.. and that`s all she wrote.

I would CHALLENGE any CO to condem me for these actions.

Just MY OPINIONS, but as I say: Been doing that for over 30+ years ... and TOO ME, seems a perfectly fair way to get a WIN WIN situation

MILKING ..... you old son of a gun! lol

*By the REGS... a NO NO

However, I have been doing it for over 30+ Years and have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the method. Could never figure out what exactly is WRONG with gently letting GRAVITY (Small Squeeze) give me some GOLD and NOT HURTING the fish!

I would CHALLENGE any CO to condem me for these actions.

Just MY OPINIONS, but as I say: Been doing that for over 30+ years ... and TOO ME, seems a perfectly fair way to get a WIN WIN situation

Surprised to read these comments from yourself ... especially from someone who has an amazing ability to see different sides to the arguments that have come up on here ...

I disagree on milking, if eggs pop out while unhooking a fish, grab em, but no good can come out of milking a fish, you might be gentle enough, but some loogan on here reads you milked a fish and they will be out there with a rolling pin flattening out every male and female fish they land trying to get roe. I have seen it many times over (salmon and browns mostly) ... where the fish is "milked" of the roe, but such an effort is made to get every last egg there is no way the fish is going to live with how "massaged" their organs got. Seen it at Queenston, seen it at Baileys Bridge, seen it at Port Dalhousie (by some of the regulars who fish it daily as well). Not milking the fish, but squeezing the fish like you were trying to wring a towel out after dropping it in the pool.

There has to be black and white rules or there is room for interpretation ... could you define "milking" where it would stand up if the MNR pressed charges against someone, reasonable force is different to everyone.

Keep milking against the rules.

I get your point 100% Snag. And agree.

Guess what is comes down to for me "personally" is that although I am not "perfect", I do milk them right.

There are many that will not, but without sounding impassionate ... I do not really care.

lol (When i say "Gravity"... I really mean that. Just a gentle pat and that it!)

The same applies to the Basics of fish handling ... Some do things reasonable, and other do not.

ie:

*Many say to NEVER HOLD a fish by the GILL PLATE. (and i understand why ... if done incorrect) However, I have been holding many fish that way for 40 years and have every intention of continuing to do so. If you do it right, there is NO BETTER way to manage a fish (With lower tail and body support)

A person with the RIght Mind Set (attitude) can be taught.

A loogan ..... can't

I stopped worrying about what others were doing a LONG TIME AGO! IT takes away from my fishing experience.

Sound selfish or Arrogant (I sure hope not!) ?

Not at all.

Who sells bulk roe around Niagara?

I will send you a PM where you can get it......because I dont know if any of our sponsors carry it or not and Im not about to promote others if they carry

it. If anyone else wants to know where to get it delivered to your door, send me a PM

I have personally asked a CO about this ...

I was told as long as you don't push everything out of them and it has a healthy release ( not just chucking off the peir ) and the CO believes the fish will survive ... then there are no problems!

"Here is an "Example" of what I DO NOT DO:"

I would never think you would do that to a "live" fish...

but in the defence for the Guy in the Video... it looks like that fish is dead, and he's going to cut it up and add it to the filets that are already on the log...

Archived