Fish Die Off Pic.

midas69er

15 mile creek ... id wager somebody put something in that they should not have ...

Or you had a stagnant pool, lack of oxygen in the water, one fish croaks, and this will slowly choke out and kill the rest of the fish.

Lack of O2 seems to be the culprit . And one guy posted that farm fertilizers can be washed more easily into the waters since the land is too dry to absorb all the rain water when we have a sudden downpour . A hot dry summer can kill a lot of fish !

If I was the guy who said he threw up a few times while cleaning up the rotting fish , I would try to get a respirator or at least a masked sprayed with something , like cologne .......

Thanks guys, I saw this and was like wow, I just hope this doesn't start a trend!!!! And ya i was fairly sure iot was local, it was a pic posted by the Standard.

I fished there the past week or so and i was there when the carp were dying. :( The oxygen levels were so low that they could not survive. The amount of carp was insane and wish i could have done something...

If there was a way to put oxygen into the water where many fish are at risk of dying , it would save a stinking mess afterward . Maybe running a line from the nearest hydro pole to an under water pump to oxygenate the water might help , or dumping some oxygen laden chemicals into the water similar to adding lime to neutralize acid rain etc........just grasping at straws here , but if anything can be done I'm sure the MNR would know .

As long as it is carp ... kinda the way it works cause carp dont really have predators in the smaller creeks except for the coons ... come to think of it a carp once it hits 10 pounds probably doesnt have any predators in the area unless they get too close to shore for a coon or cat

Well some of you have hit it right on. When you get the number of fish like the pic shows you get a large draw of C02 taken out of the water,if the water was high when they entered the creek and the temps rise like it did it will warm that body of water very high.Carp will hang in very warm and shallow water with no problem at all,but if no fresh water is allowed to get in and the temps stay high the water that is there will evaporate and get depleted of c02 and if they can't get out of the creek they will not live with no c02 thus you get a large die off.What the MNR should do is get in there with the help of the local farmers clean up the fish and let the farmers use them in their fields.But then what will happen is the gov. will catch wind of it and will say that they can't transport the fish with out all the regs and paper work followed to the Tee and then by the time all that is done we will get some rain the water will come up and the fish will end up in the lake to decompose.Then they will say the beaches are unsafe to swim and close them down,and all this is done with out one person leaving their office and that's why they get paid the big $$$$$$$.So bottom line is guy's nature happens and we can't do to much about it we just have to deal with it ourselves or leave it up to the big boys and nature will take care of it again.Rob McIntosh

Archived