Whack...got Em!

BrendanMitchell

So my buddy and I had the chance to get out the past two sundays for a few hours each day and managed a few fish, had fun and a few good laughs as always. We got out to the lower today and managed a few lakers and fished the pool for salmon last week. Anyways has anyone seen these making on this salmon before?

bbrown.jpg

blaker.jpg

bsalmon.jpg

[imgsalmon.jpg

richsalmn.jpg

richlkaer2.jpg

laker.jpg

richlaker.jpg

The first fish is a male Brown not a Salmon. With all due respect you guys Lake Trout are Out Of Season right now, If caught they should be promptly released. I see threads on here with guys catching 20+ lakers a day in the lower and you should really not be targeting them if you get into a school. I've read countless threads about targeting OOS bass so I think perhaps Lake Trout should be given the same respect. As of Dec 1, go nuts on the lakers all you want, but right now the season is Closed.

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure that its not a salmon. That looks like a mature rainbow trout. i have caught a few that look identical to that fish which i why i believe that it is a great lakes rainbow.

nobodies targeting lakers here canadadude. the rivers full of lakers, rainbows and browns at the moment which all get caught on pretty much the same gear and all hangout in the same pools and runs.its luck of the draw bud

and forgot to mention nice fish brendan!!

Nice catches Brenden ! It's nice to catch a variety of trout & salmon in the river especially from a boat . I was curious to see what the darkened fish was ......lightened it up a tad ..... B)

salmon.jpg

nobodies targeting lakers here canadadude. the rivers full of lakers, rainbows and browns at the moment which all get caught on pretty much the same gear and all hangout in the same pools and runs.its luck of the draw bud

and forgot to mention nice fish brendan!!

Thats not exactly true, you can set-up on drifts from the glen right down to queenston and get Lakers all day long or you can choose to move along and fish other drifts, it's the same as when you get into OSS bass you can choose to move along.It all depends on your ethics as a fisherman, you can choose to post a pic of a 4lb largie caught in May from Gibson and start a huge debate, it all comes down to your own ethics. I fished the river for 30yrs, I know if I start getting into Lakers, I move along even if they are in season lol

It is a rainbow. Male brown and rainbow trout, that I know for sure and salmon all get kypes when spawning. So that mouth shape doesn't say much, the white in the jaw however does tell me it's a bow plus a few other things.

As for the Lakers. Nice fish but something tells me you know what you were doing.

Definately a male bow.....wierd hump in its back and the mouth is deceiving because of the picture background. WTG Brendan......nice pictures. Cant even remember your buddies name off hand. Lots of lakers....and nobody is targeting them, just incidentals.

Must be nice to boat fish now.....I just remembered you got the boat.

those are some beautiful fish!

Good mix up in species and Positioning (Boat and shore)

looks like you had a "Sausage Feast" with all those Bucks

I believe that targeting is not an issue in this post, and can repect the photo's.

It's also nice to hear the re-iteration of the current Laker Season.

I respect the mention

* I personally have never had Lakers on in numbers @the pool ... lol

One (2 at most OSS) in an entire outing!

Wicked stuff brendan! Nice variety of Niagara River fish...love it!

Nothin' you can do about those lakers...not many people realize that the majority of lake trout spawn in the fall, which is why there are so many in the river right now. They aren't gonna pass up your roe, beads, flies, spoons, spinners, etc. just because you're only targeting the browns and bows.

As long as the fight, picture, and release are relatively quick and clean, the harm done is minimal.

Oh and as for identification...after the first brown and laker are two female chinnys, and the one after that is a NICE male rainbow who's already sporting his spawning suit. Must've made an early run in with the chinooks!

Thanks for the report!

Ok so I hit a laker in a run, I move on. I hit another laker in another run. So what should I do? Pack up and go home and deem the river unfishable until the lakers are out of the system? Has nothing to do with ethics, you don't even make sense.

I don't know who said anything about ethics. I just said I think they knew what they are doing. And after catching so many they should have moved or changed something. Regardless they are nice fish. As well as the others.

I personally think the Lakers are a waste of money and time to stock. They are rarely targeted in the main lake and in the rivers. They don't fight that great either, they are a like a beefed up walleye haha. Plus no one eats them.

As for the rainbow that is a nice one and I am surprised that it is in full spawn colours this early. Then again I am amazed at how many young salmon ran this year.

The first fish is a male Brown not a Salmon. With all due respect you guys Lake Trout are Out Of Season right now, If caught they should be promptly released. I see threads on here with guys catching 20+ lakers a day in the lower and you should really not be targeting them if you get into a school. I've read countless threads about targeting OOS bass so I think perhaps Lake Trout should be given the same respect. As of Dec 1, go nuts on the lakers all you want, but right now the season is Closed.

so what he cought them and i hope he catches more. if they are out of season that dosent stop them from getting cought. also taking a pic dosent hurt them.

Ok so I hit a laker in a run, I move on. I hit another laker in another run. So what should I do? Pack up and go home and deem the river unfishable until the lakers are out of the system? Has nothing to do with ethics, you don't even make sense.

lol RIGHT HELL I WONT EVEN MOVE. LAKERS ARE GOING TO BE MIXED IN WITH OTHER FISH.

Archived