Table Fare Of Niagara Trout

YakFisher

I was hoping to get a few opinions from those of you experienced in this. I was thinking of maybe keeping one or two this season and I wanted to know what people thought of the taste, chemical concentration, etc of the trout in Niagara.

I have been strictly catch and release around here, so I have zero experience. Thanks

I asked my doctor about eating salmon or trout from L.Ont. & he said , treat yourself & don't worry about chems. Most of our food has chemicals added . But I would caution women & young kids to eat these fish in lesser amounts . I am looking to get a few trout , browns & bows for the smoker . Last year my neighbour smoked a bow about 8 lbs. to share with me , and it was excellent .

Most of the contaminants are concentrated in the fat, i.e. the belly meat and a thin layer under the skin. Eliminate them and the darkline (lateral line) and you should eliminate over 80% of the contaminants. Children and women of childbearing age are cautioned to eat no more than one meal a month. Of course if you smoke two packs of cigarettes a day, go ahead and enjoy all you want. You don't have to worry about the contaminants.

go for it, from what i hear since they are cold water fish it makes them better to eat then say a bass just health wise. id say if your keeping one or two here and there it really wont do any harm,

Kinda true ... You really don't want a laker! Probably have enough mercury in them to turn ya into a thermometer! or the larger fish ... It seems the 5 to 8 pound range is most of the keepers

Follow the guide to eating sport fish and you should be fine.

I usually keep fish from the spring and fall, no reason other than I really like trout/salmon and perch. I will keep summer fish if deep hooked or if they can't be released.

My rule of thumb is let trophy size fish go and keep small to medium sized fish, with no marks or scars. Sometimes you will get worms and grubs in fish that stay around warm water or heavy vegetation.

I prefer rainbows to browns. Here's my favorite way to eat them.

Take a fillet, stuff it. Portebello mushrooms finely chopped, fresh herbs (I prefer parsley, dill, and a bit of basil) salt and pepper, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese then mix together with melted butter. Then, roll the fillet around the stuffing. Wrap the rolled fillet in bacon, secure with a tooth pick. Cook anyway you like...I really like baking them in the oven, or planked (soaked in white wine and water) on the BBQ.

For perch...ah hell, there is only one way to eat perch! Battered and fried with cottage fried taters, baked beans and ice cold beer!!!

I agree with the "collective consensus" of everyone here.

A few fish (properly prepaired) is A O K!

Enjoy a wonderful meal! (KVD has given some excellent serving advice, MMMmmmm)

I do read the SPORT FISHING EATING GUIDE

http://www.ene.gov.o..._fish/index.htm

However in general, this is how i "See Things":

- Ever wonder what is "going on" in the Restaurants kitchens? (Food Handling, preparations, source)

- Read all the Weird additives on the food in a grocery store (MSG, Glucouses, Petrolium By products)

- See on the news what the "IN" food is , then a week later it's "Bad" (Coffee, Sugar ...)

- Organic vs Non Organic

Blah...blah...blah

MODERATION is the key.

I agree with Blair, moderation is key. If you eat the fish everyday then yes you probably will end up sick. But the garbage the big companies put into there food is atrocious. Look at how chicken nuggets are made and you will see where I am coming from. Even the stuff we feed our animals is disgusting chicken "by product" is just ground up bones,eyes,organs and the stuff left over from said chicken nuggets.

Interesting opinions.....I would really trim the belly fat and eat only the odd one here and there.

Personal preference, i wouldnt touch a lower niagara trout or salmon... but i have taken the odd upper niagara bow... maybe 3 ever? usually in the 3lb area is best, still gives a good enough fillet for 3-4 people.

thanks for all of the help. I am really more concerned about the flavour than the chemicals, I know that most store bought fish has just as much mercury in it.

Now all i have to do is catch some. going out tomorrow early and all day if I can. hopefully get into a couple.

Flavour wise, I don't think Lake Erie trout come even close to other lakes. I find erie bows to have a 'lake' or muddy taste to them. If you put a lake superior, or georgian bay fish next to a lake erie fish, there's no comparison.

Even though Lake O seems to have tighter restrictions on consumption, I have found the fish actually taste better than Erie trout. I think it's got something to do with deeper, colder water.

I'll take a shaker salmon over a steelhead any day, for eating quality.

Kinda true ... You really don't want a laker! Probably have enough mercury in them to turn ya into a thermometer! or the larger fish ... It seems the 5 to 8 pound range is most of the keepers

Follow the guide to eating sport fish and you should be fine.

believe it or not Lakers are better eat chemical wise then browns, but rainbows are the best so they say anyway

http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/files/fishguide/en/advisories/LAKE43077903.html

During the fall I usually keep the bleeders or anything that looks like it probably wont swim away. A few trout here and there wont hurt ya. Enjoy what we have here!

I agree with Blair, you probably get worse in restaurant kitchens. Who would think of cooking hamburgers ahead of time, putting them in a warming tray filled with gravy and water. Than throw on the grill and feed to the public....

This practice of putting food in warming trays is disgusting- so the odd bow here and there is mild in comparison IMO.

I agree with Blair, you probably get worse in restaurant kitchens. Who would think of cooking hamburgers ahead of time, putting them in a warming tray filled with gravy and water. Than throw on the grill and feed to the public....

This practice of putting food in warming trays is disgusting- so the odd bow here and there is mild in comparison IMO.

Very true, I worked I a restaurant years ago and we would cook the burger ahead and then throw them in a pot with water. Some would sit for hours before getting eaten lol. Makes you wonder what you are eating.

Archived