Weird Question About Lower Niagara

YakFisher

Now I know the current is really fast around queenston, but I'm curious if it would be possible to use the queenston back current to drift with my kayak that area around the boat launch? Run it up river, than paddle to the main current, then back and so on. Is the back current long enough?

Thanks.

nope, want to do it now for steelhead.

Just stick to shore fishing for steelhead man...CM's bang on...the river's less than 50*C right now...not worth the risk, not to mention risking other people's lives should they have to save you if you fell in.

Hey, a simple answer woulda been fine, I'm pretty sure you got in trouble before for taking shots about a bad decision, I know mods and clif won't approve of it either.

As for the question, probably not the best, just fish from shore like the others or find a buddy with a boat

Not a good idea in my mind but if your choosing to ... Would be best to study the current from shore a bit, see how the smaller boats handle it, does it change up ever while you'd be there?

Then if your set on trying, take a crack at it but definitely not the best idea to go with

I would suggest fishing from shore, marked plenty of fish within casting distance. My boat was being pushed over 2 mph without the engine on, water temp was 50 degrees...

If you have to go further down river and drop in at some of the sheltered areas- backdrift has too much going on - very very stong current.

Dont even think about doing it.....youll br sailing down river. Boats with motors have problems. Like everyone here has told you...no fish is worth your life. PM me.....ill tell you where to get fish. Play it safe....not worth the risks

I would suggest fishing from shore, marked plenty of fish within casting distance. My boat was being pushed over 2 mph without the engine on, water temp was 50 degrees...

If you have to go further down river and drop in at some of the sheltered areas- backdrift has too much going on - very very stong current.

This is true, You can cast into the same drifts the boats are in. I love it when a boater just stops ten feet of shore and wonders why I am chucking a pencil weight at him.

Archived