The Dimestore Angler.

Seanook

I took my daughter fishing a few summers back. I had my fly rod, reel and a selection of flies that probably cost ~500.00 all together. She had a $29.99 spinning combo from CTC that came with a small box of assorted tackle. At the end of the day this is what she had caught (ON A SPOON NO LESS)!

6048_106462540263_1470166_n.jpg

6048_106670380263_1955082_n.jpg

This is what I caught. . .

:skunk: :skunk: :skunk: :skunk: :skunk: :skunk: :skunk: :skunk: :skunk:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol .... you guys Crack me up!

Smerch: When one lives as long as you, there are bound to be just a "Few" skunk days!

Coach: Face it, the younger generation is the future ..... (at least you didnt hang the "Hobby" Up)

_______

I did'nt go fishing yesterday, this is what I caught: :skunk:

Proud to be part of the Club!

Hey man, I have no idea why you think there is some kinda personal link between this one and any other conversation we may have had before. I wasn't judging anyone for the money they spend. I am grateful for the link. I have bought some high end gear myself. Hope to do so again in the near future in fact. I think you are just getting bent outa shape because you work at a tackle store, if I'm not mistaken? Am I hurting sales?

I appreciate a good tackle store as much as any other guy. Some of my best friends have some real nice high end stuff. Definately not Bum-Bum. My ultimate goal here is to have a discussion about reasonable cheap alternatives to expensive tackle.........that's it.

I can appreciate the benefit of lots of expensive gear. They just aren't always necessary.

Anyway..............

Sorry I just figured seeing as how you dragged the case about not needing good gear on that you were just starting your own thread about it. Do you really think that you are making a difference in sales lol.

I am happy that you can say though that you would take high end gear over cheaper gear. After all your comments about it being useless to buy high end gear. I hope that you can get more high end gear from that site. Cause lets face it, it is better.

Spend your money on things you need to rely on, (line, reel, good hooks, terminal tackle) screw around with things that wont loose your fish.

With another note on the Slinky's, For those of you who snip your pencils weights, hold on to the led for slinky filler.

I use hockey tape on the butt end of my rods for a extra hook keeper when your leed is too long to break down your rod.

the other handy one is GLOW TAPE, repurpose those rusty spoons.

Sorry I just figured seeing as how you dragged the case about not needing good gear on that you were just starting your own thread about it. Do you really think that you are making a difference in sales lol.

I am happy that you can say though that you would take high end gear over cheaper gear. After all your comments about it being useless to buy high end gear. I hope that you can get more high end gear from that site. Cause lets face it, it is better.

I never once said that higher end gear was useless...... Not once. I did say that I didn't see the point of spending big bucks on a spinning reel. I also said that I see alot of guys spending money on gear they don't need. If you wanna make it out to be something it isn't and make it personal then fine.

And no. I didn't think for a second that I was hurting sales but from your obvious over-reaction it just seemed as though you were worried that I was gonna take some commission away. I am not dragging anything out. In fact it is you who dragged a silly argument (which wasn't even an argument until you started it in this feed) and started acting like a brat. If I am just a "space cadet" then why are you so bent out of shape?

It is funny you try and act like you weren't saying it is pointless and doesn't help it is exactly what you were saying. I have had pm's saying how dumb some people can be saying that stuff. Which was directed at you. I mean you have changed your opinion a lot since the past thread. You clearly stated about hurting the sales at the shop as well. You are a joke man. I wasn't getting bent out of shape I was trying to enlighten your obviously slow brain, into realizing the obvious.

I love this post. DIY is amazing in the world of fishing. I have a deep need to invent and create and fishing is the perfect outlet. I make all my own lures including tuna, musky, bass, trout. Once, I couldn't find kevlar cord for my tuna jig assist hook style so I braided braid to make 500pd test leads. I also make my own rod holders for the boat and musky tackle storage. I balance many rods with chair and table leg rubber thingys. I love a properly balanced rod for feel and less fatigue. I don't need it much on horizontal bait presentations where the rod tip is down more. I think we should post some pics of some of our creations! I would love to see some of them. I have different feelings about high end gear etc. I think the fishing reel is an amazing piece of engineering and I appreciate the subtle details. I also work on reels and supertune/fix them. It is then that you get a good look at quality etc. I have a lot of highend bass gear because I appreciate light setups. You pay for light reels for the most part. My crankbait and spinnerbait rods are not ridiculously expensive because I don't rely on feel for the most part. A bit of glass doesn't hurt for some of these applications and highend graphite isn't a huge concern. My jig/worm rods are highend graphite, in part, because I don't rely on braid on my baitcast rods to help increase sensitivity (I use mono). For 8 years I have used about 7 or 8 low end Daiwa spinning reels on many rods because, from taking them apart, I know they are wonderful little systems. Great reels with oscillating gear layout. I have had relatively highend reels fail that simply shouldn't have. Older Shimano Stradic 4000 that failed in the cold (anti-reverse)- fixed by Shimano for some time now in newer generations). A Curado 300 that was like a coffee grinder even upon lubing. A symetre with non-oiled felt drag washers that disintegrated in the winter weather and came out of the spool housing etc. I don't fish tournaments much any more so I don't care about highend gear for the purposes of making money etc. I do care about it because I'm fascinated by it. Someone fishing live bait from shore using a rodholder doesn't need a highend system if they're fishing for fun. Sensitivity isn't much of an issue in many of these situations. If a reel fails because it is cheaper, try to fix it or get another one. Who cares if it fails. In a tournament it is another situation. If you don't have knowldge about reels and their parts and what is a durable system, try visiting forums like bassfishinghomepage where such topics are discussed. People who have looked at thousands of reels are the people who know a great deal. I think I'll post some pics of custom stuff. Others should too! I'd love to see them. Paul.

I love this post. DIY is amazing in the world of fishing. I have a deep need to invent and create and fishing is the perfect outlet. I make all my own lures including tuna, musky, bass, trout. Once, I couldn't find kevlar cord for my tuna jig assist hook style so I braided braid to make 500pd test leads. I also make my own rod holders for the boat and musky tackle storage. I balance many rods with chair and table leg rubber thingys. I love a properly balanced rod for feel and less fatigue. I don't need it much on horizontal bait presentations where the rod tip is down more. I think we should post some pics of some of our creations! I would love to see some of them. I have different feelings about high end gear etc. I think the fishing reel is an amazing piece of engineering and I appreciate the subtle details. I also work on reels and supertune/fix them. It is then that you get a good look at quality etc. I have a lot of highend bass gear because I appreciate light setups. You pay for light reels for the most part. My crankbait and spinnerbait rods are not ridiculously expensive because I don't rely on feel for the most part. A bit of glass doesn't hurt for some of these applications and highend graphite isn't a huge concern. My jig/worm rods are highend graphite, in part, because I don't rely on braid on my baitcast rods to help increase sensitivity (I use mono). For 8 years I have used about 7 or 8 low end Daiwa spinning reels on many rods because, from taking them apart, I know they are wonderful little systems. Great reels with oscillating gear layout. I have had relatively highend reels fail that simply shouldn't have. Older Shimano Stradic 4000 that failed in the cold (anti-reverse)- fixed by Shimano for some time now in newer generations). A Curado 300 that was like a coffee grinder even upon lubing. A symetre with non-oiled felt drag washers that disintegrated in the winter weather and came out of the spool housing etc. I don't fish tournaments much any more so I don't care about highend gear for the purposes of making money etc. I do care about it because I'm fascinated by it. Someone fishing live bait from shore using a rodholder doesn't need a highend system if they're fishing for fun. Sensitivity isn't much of an issue in many of these situations. If a reel fails because it is cheaper, try to fix it or get another one. Who cares if it fails. In a tournament it is another situation. If you don't have knowldge about reels and their parts and what is a durable system, try visiting forums like bassfishinghomepage where such topics are discussed. People who have looked at thousands of reels are the people who know a great deal. I think I'll post some pics of custom stuff. Others should too! I'd love to see them. Paul.

That's what I'm talking about!!!

Thanks pauly!

Well yes. I asked you if You thought I was hurting sales. It was a rhetorical/sarcastic question. Not meant to be taken literally. Which leads me to believe that up until this point your ability or inability to grasp what is written in front of you is not being interpereted in your brain properly. And don't pretend like all you were trying to do is be helpfull. You were being snotty. If you weren't bent out of shape this wouldn't have continued till this point.

If you wanna continue this conversation I would be happy to do so in pm or otherwise.

That's what I'm talking about!!!

Thanks pauly!

Yessss.....Pauly.

Before getting derailed a bit here, lol. I had intended on touching a little on just this very subject. I just inherited a bunch of tools, saws, and chisels and was thinking about crafting a bunch of my own stuff. Got some etching stuff too so I can personalize. A rod holder is definately a good idea.

If you have pics. Post em!

I thought 'Nook opened this thread for those who wanted to post about alternatives and possibly new ideas, home rigs, crafting your own tackle etc.....

If I was wrong, i apologise (but not really)

Am I allowed to like this....again?

BTW, just bought some cheap nylon shoelaces from the dollar store for slinkies, (paracords in the mail)

Laces not so good, they frey pretty bad when you try to fill them with shot.

just an F.W.I.

Ah. I was wondering about that from the original posting. Well thanks for the heads up. I probably would have tried the laces myself. Can you get paracord in any length and what's the damage to the wallet?

well the cheapest ive found it was from an army surplus in st kitts. $11.99 per 100' lenght, but its not hollow, you need to strip tho core, which is ok for me cause i can use the core for camping uses, or for frenching beef or lamb chops.

well the cheapest ive found it was from an army surplus in st kitts. $11.99 per 100' lenght, but its not hollow, you need to strip tho core, which is ok for me cause i can use the core for camping uses, or for frenching beef or lamb chops.

Something I wouldn't even thought to check before purchase. Thanks Mick!

Holy Macgyver Bites....that is cool dude. LOL

We pulled a Macgyver on Sunday when the net broke as we were netting my second bow of the year from on the pier. My buddy grabbed his tackle box strap, hooked it to the net end and used it to help pull up the fish onto the pier.

You mean the all purpose parachute cords?? They last forever. I've used it in a pinch to resew a net that a big pike ripped through

Well said Post Pauly!

Looking forward to seeing some of your creations.

Very much so.

I'm going to start posting some of my "repairs", Do it your selfers .... homemade baits/lures as well.

This THREAD has limitless opportunities to share information.

Glad it is here, Glad people are / and will contiue to make it a good one!

Thxs

ps: if anyone posts some of their creations, does that also "legally" forfiet any and all Copy Rights and Claims over to NFN?

(well Cliff....)

lol

Archived