The Dimestore Angler.

Seanook

In light of a lot of recent discussion about cheap alternatives and home made rigs, I figured that a thread dedicated soley to that subject was in order.

I personally have been guilty of hijacking a thread or two lately to b*#ch and moan about expensive equipment as was evident with Jason15's Rapala Shift topic (sorry dude).

Earlier, on yet another topic(Beaded fishing I believe) Flumpy Dump suggested the usefulness of making your own Slinky Weights and Blair took it further (as usual, provided a really easy to follow and informative info) with a photo diagram and tutorial. Great suggestions. Loved it!

That thread took us through several easy and cheap scenarios to buying tackle that was just as effective and in some opinions more so than the expensive tackle shop options. Don't worry Fishing world ....I still love you!

Recenlty I found myself arguing the merits of using a cheap reliable reel over buying an expensive possibly un-tested newcomer and the prep needed to choose one. I realize for some folks, messing with the gear is part of the fun. Not for me but hey.....To each his own.

So if you have some cheap and easy idea's as in craft store beads or just an old go to, tried tested and true lure, rod or reel......Tell us about it. So I can stop griping at the "which $1000 reel do I go with. The Trump Aglias or the Mark II-Mach III Ludicri?"

I learned to fish with a twig, twine, hook and marshmellow. And therefore fishing, to me, has always been about the simpler things in life.

I don't care if the suggestion is as mundane as "I wrap my feet in garbage bags and then put em in my sneakers. Who need weighters?". Just toss something out there. Never know, might be Red Green Genius.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really dime store, but i see guys all the time spending hungreds on a steelhead or salmon set up, and im not sure bout others, but i just cant damn afford that, so when i was in the states at dicks sporting foods, i saw a 8'6 steelhead rod with diawa reel for 39$ on sale form 59$ i have used it for carp, and steelhead with 20lb braid and 8lb mono leader and it will keep up with the 200$ set ups anyday. people need to realize spending tons isnt always the answer,

its not really home made, but its a tip for the fisherman who has a tight budget, id like to see some more peoples inventions though

not really dime store, but i see guys all the time spending hungreds on a steelhead or salmon set up, and im not sure bout others, but i just cant damn afford that, so when i was in the states at dicks sporting foods, i saw a 8'6 steelhead rod with diawa reel for 39$ on sale form 59$ i have used it for carp, and steelhead with 20lb braid and 8lb mono leader and it will keep up with the 200$ set ups anyday. people need to realize spending tons isnt always the answer,

its not really home made, but its a tip for the fisherman who has a tight budget, id like to see some more peoples inventions though

Jordanl,

Home made or not. Just the type of reply I was looking for........Although, I did see that purdy jig in your latest report. That fits too. Anything cheap easy and works will do. Although I do love the inventions.

I never said anything Seanook about having to spend a ton, reflect back and you will see that. Say what you want you but get better gear with more money. That was my point, personally you sound like a space cadet dragging this on haha. You are wrong more money gets you better gear. If you know how to fish and have better gear you will likely pull in more fish.

I mean sorry Jordan from what I am reading if you could afford the gear you would buy it?

Do you need it to catch a fish no. Can it help you having it yes.

So if you can afford it and enjoy fishing why not, I also don't give a doo-doo what someone is fishing with I like seeing people fishing and enjoying it regardless what they have.

You seem to have a problem with people that have high end gear like they are all "LANGUAGE". Which there are plenty of. That being said there lots with cheap gear to. Theres "LANGUAGE AGAIN" in every crowd, as my grandfather told me.

I am also all about paying less for gear, I always look for deals. Hopefully you found some deals on that site seanook.

Rubbish! It is what you dial into the fish with and what your comfortable using. High end gear doesn't make you a better fisherman at all. It is what you have confidence in. Same for hockey, if you can't shoot that $300 stick is the same as a branch in a tree. It's what you feel comfortable using with your fishing teqniques ...

I watched one guy using a Walmart special nail trout after trout fishing with a jig and a white mister twister on a combo that was no more than 80 bucks. Those around him very few fish compared to him and you name it, it was being tossed on an assortment of ross and reels.

The big difference in price comes down to weight, warranty, and quality on the parts. Statistically a better made reel with better parts should last longer but there is lemons in everything.

Mind you it also depends on species your after. Bass guys seem to be willing to pay more for bait. Trout guys are all about the setup being used and others it is about the cooler the beer goes in.

Hey man, I have no idea why you think there is some kinda personal link between this one and any other conversation we may have had before. I wasn't judging anyone for the money they spend. I am grateful for the link. I have bought some high end gear myself. Hope to do so again in the near future in fact. I think you are just getting bent outa shape because you work at a tackle store, if I'm not mistaken? Am I hurting sales?

I appreciate a good tackle store as much as any other guy. Some of my best friends have some real nice high end stuff. Definately not Bum-Bum. My ultimate goal here is to have a discussion about reasonable cheap alternatives to expensive tackle.........that's it.

I can appreciate the benefit of lots of expensive gear. They just aren't always necessary.

Anyway..............

I personally started fishing with an ugly stick and a shimano reel cost me about 80 bucks did the job. Now I use a browning rod and a shimano stradic and catch just as many fish as the guy with the g loomis rod and the same reel. The reason I upgraded to the stradic is drag and strength of the reel. A pissed off big mother of a steelhead or laker can tear a basic plastic drag system a new one. Al in all I've never been one for a higher end rod just one with a good back bone and some sensitivity but as for the reel I prefer a better drag system.

I thought 'Nook opened this thread for those who wanted to post about alternatives and possibly new ideas, home rigs, crafting your own tackle etc.....

If I was wrong, i apologise (but not really)

Almost fooled myself really

Well, here's my 2 cents worth.

A Corvette and a Chevette are both cars...they can both get to a speed of 100KM/h...one takes longer and doesn't handle in the corners as well.

Get the point.

My first rod and reel was a hand me down Shakespeare with a reel from Sears! It weighed around 40 pounds, but I caught a few fish. In saying that, would I want to use it today...hell, no! One of my current setups is less than 20 oz's, a far cry from from a 20 pound reel and it helps me catch more and better fish.

For all the naysayers that think they can catch just as many fish with your budget setup compared to a better quality rod/reel, you are just fooling yourself. I don't want to sound like a fishing snob, because I hate spending alot of scratch too. But in reality, I know that the new technology of fishing is better than bamboo poles. I have an Ugly Stik rod for my daughter, but she likes my gear better because she can feel more bites. If a 5 year old can figure it out, I'm sure a grown person can too!

Lighter, sensetive rods are far better for detecting light biting fish and feeling the structure and bottom changes (soft sand to hard rock/gravel) Add the fact that braid and flouro can increase sensitivty even more and on top of that a light reel, you should be able to feel a bass fart, never mind take your bait. We haven't even touched on what higher priced baitcasters bring to the table.

I have no problem with people crafting their own baits, terminal tackle and rods. Its a great skill and hobby to have. As for me, my talents are in other areas, not to mention the time it takes, is something I can't afford.

Fish what you can afford...but just fish! By used stuff, upgrade that way. Wait for the end of the year and buy clear outs. There is lots of ways to save money.

If you see me out, and want to try out my gear, just ask. I'm happy to let you take it for a whirl.

Final thought, for all that say the expensive gear isn't worth it...If you were offered a G Loomis at the same price as a WalMart special, how many would pass up the G Loomis? No one, that's who.

One of my favourite ways to "Save Money" (*If you have the time and circumstances to get em) is too:

GET MY OWN REAL BAIT!

- Worms

- Minnows

- Crayfish

- Roe

- Insects

- Grubs

Certainly, it is not possible or always available to us ... but it is real satisfying to get your own bait when you can.

In an "intangible way" I find that it also adds:

- You caught it .. you use it feel

- Lets you become "more aware" of the what the fish are eating, local availability etc

- Many a time, proves to be the HOT BAIT (not always lol)

*Be aware of the fishing/transport regs

My fridge at home has become a BAIT STORE! lol My wife lets me use the Right end of theTop Shelf, One of the Door Shelves and the "Corner" of the Freezer!

*The "Giant" GOO JAR (Big Pickel Jar) of ROE SLUREY ... scares me! If that ever fell on the floor, think we may have to evacuate the house!

I liked the idea of the DIY slinkies as well.

A cheap rod tie can be made with two elastic bands...just wrap one around the butt section and the other once or twice around one of the eyes, so that the rod pieces are snug.

I liked the idea of the DIY slinkies as well.

A cheap rod tie can be made with two elastic bands...just wrap one around the butt section and the other once or twice around one of the eyes, so that the rod pieces are snug.

Yup. Done that one. simple but perfectly functional.

I use: HAIR TIES (get em from my wife, see em on the street .. or you can buy at the dollar store for 20-$1)

They dont seem to break or "bite in" like the elastic does. (The band is in the inside of a little soft material shell - cloth)

Work great in the COLD/Winter or Rain! (last longer and are stronger)

For the Tip I will also use: BUTTERFLY CLIPS (paper - "Steal em from work" lol , or get at the dollar store).

They work great, come in different sizes (different rod thickness)

- Put some DUCT TAPE on the inside of the Clamp part. Makes a "Softer" grab on the rod tips. I dont fool around with these touchy carbon graphite rods nowadays. Too many unexplained Snaps!

Well, here's my 2 cents worth.

A Corvette and a Chevette are both cars...they can both get to a speed of 100KM/h...one takes longer and doesn't handle in the corners as well.

Get the point.

My first rod and reel was a hand me down Shakespeare with a reel from Sears! It weighed around 40 pounds, but I caught a few fish. In saying that, would I want to use it today...hell, no! One of my current setups is less than 20 oz's, a far cry from from a 20 pound reel and it helps me catch more and better fish.

For all the naysayers that think they can catch just as many fish with your budget setup compared to a better quality rod/reel, you are just fooling yourself. I don't want to sound like a fishing snob, because I hate spending alot of scratch too. But in reality, I know that the new technology of fishing is better than bamboo poles. I have an Ugly Stik rod for my daughter, but she likes my gear better because she can feel more bites. If a 5 year old can figure it out, I'm sure a grown person can too!

Lighter, sensetive rods are far better for detecting light biting fish and feeling the structure and bottom changes (soft sand to hard rock/gravel) Add the fact that braid and flouro can increase sensitivty even more and on top of that a light reel, you should be able to feel a bass fart, never mind take your bait. We haven't even touched on what higher priced baitcasters bring to the table.

I have no problem with people crafting their own baits, terminal tackle and rods. Its a great skill and hobby to have. As for me, my talents are in other areas, not to mention the time it takes, is something I can't afford.

Fish what you can afford...but just fish! By used stuff, upgrade that way. Wait for the end of the year and buy clear outs. There is lots of ways to save money.

If you see me out, and want to try out my gear, just ask. I'm happy to let you take it for a whirl.

Final thought, for all that say the expensive gear isn't worth it...If you were offered a G Loomis at the same price as a WalMart special, how many would pass up the G Loomis? No one, that's who.

ROUGH ROUGH says the BIG DOG! LOL

I agree with Josh. Fish what you can afford...but just fish!

Modern equipment or even "technique specific" equipment allow you to feel more which should help you catch more, fish longer with less fatigue and even fish more efficiently. These are advantages that the "competitive" fisherman looks for as an advantage over other competitors. They justify it in their heads that way. The beauty of fishing is all of us have access to that same equipment the pro's use and you can buy it if you see the value in spending those extra dollars. This past Nov I purchased my first ever Stradic. I have been fishing for 32 years and I have always wanted one, but could never justify paying that kind of money for one. Sahara's are good, Sedona's are pretty good but a Stradic my friends...is a STRADIC! This past Nov, I was at Gander Mountain and they had them on sale for $99.99! I almost bought 2 just to make up for lost time. LOL.

fish what you can afford...but for god sakes just FISH!!!!

i always liked the twist ties from garbage bags to tie my rods together, its something my great grandpa did for me as a kid and something my dad did for me also, i guess its something that i just picked up from them, they also can be used for other things like when you have to fix a rig or what not, very versatile

another thing i saw someone doing, i was walking around the edge of the pool the other day and i saw a bunch of rocks with line around them and a snap swivel, i looked at alot of them and found that they wernt break offs, people were actually using rocks as weights. it works and its a way to save if you really have to scratch the bottom of your wallet,

I made some straw floats for crappie fishing or anytime I'm still fishing with live bait. I got tired of buying floats that broke the first time they bumped into a rock or anything else. Basically took a straw and sealed the ends by melting them (you can cut the straw to any length), took a pen ink tube and flared one end with a lighter then cut a notch in the tube to hold the line, took the spring out of a click pen to hold the line in the notch like a spring pencil float, epoxied part of a paper clip into the ink tube and then also to the sealed straw. It probably isn't worth the effort but I like to build things and its near indestructible.

float.jpg

I use: HAIR TIES (get em from my wife, see em on the street .. or you can buy at the dollar store for 20-$1)

They dont seem to break or "bite in" like the elastic does. (The band is in the inside of a little soft material shell - cloth)

Work great in the COLD/Winter or Rain! (last longer and are stronger)

For the Tip I will also use: BUTTERFLY CLIPS (paper - "Steal em from work" lol , or get at the dollar store).

They work great, come in different sizes (different rod thickness)

- Put some DUCT TAPE on the inside of the Clamp part. Makes a "Softer" grab on the rod tips. I dont fool around with these touchy carbon graphite rods nowadays. Too many unexplained Snaps!

haha i also use the hair elastic for my rods, i was in a pinch one day and i grabbed one of my sisters hot pink bands. never thought to replace it, if u ever see a guy float fishing with a hot pink hair ty around his wrist, thats me lol. ps works great, and been using it for over a year now.

My thing isn't about buying the least expensive equipment, but about making the equipment I have very versatile. I like to use the rods and reels I have for everything. I use my 7/8 fly rod (with a small fighting butt) for all cold water applications. i just throw my bass spinning reel onto the rod and it works great for me, the balance is a little off, but it doesnt bother me.

My loonies worth on cheap verses not cheap tackle , from rods & reels to hooks . Of course a high end rod , matched with a good reel and quality line will catch more fish because of the sensitivity of the rod and matching weight of the reel . A fish can be lost because of a cheap sticking drag , or a rod that's too heavy for the species targeted . Good sharp quality hooks help catch the fish and keep it there . There are many combinations of rods & reels to use depending on where you fish and how you fish . I fished for trout today at Port .....9' Blackhawk light rod with a 2000 Sahara , bottom bouncing (no hits ,runs or errors) So I went for pike , float fishing ...10' med.action with light tip , & 2500 Sedona reel , I also have a 7' rod for casting lures & an ultra light with a Sahara 750 for perching in the van . None of this gear is top dog but it has been very reliable . I'm sure the little 750 could handle a good pike with the smooth drag but will take a week to land it . lol BTW , that 40 year old Blackhawk was top of the line back in those days when they made them in the Falls . :santa:

And......I caught another :skunk: today .....for shame...... :dunno:

Archived