How To Salt Minnows

jordanl

Some anglers use small salties for chumming the holes . We chummed our huts on simcoe for whitefish . We used a rigged can that could dump them 5 feet or so from the bottom to keep the whitefish feeding . The operators chummed all their huts to keep the fish in the area too .

I just keep mine alive in a pail outside with an aquarium filter and airstone to keep the water from freezing they are cold so their metabolism is slow they don't need to eat much ill buy a "vacation feeder cube" from the fish store it doesn't foul the water and they eat it slowly as needed. Live is always better. Just watch out for coons and opossums!

I know a few salmon guys who did well using Pautzke's Fire Brine this past summer on there cut baits. Cost is a little more but if u are doing minnows a bottle should last a very long time. Comes in clear and a bunch of colours to,plus non toxic!

well my minnows seemed to work pretty well, had tons of perch on, actually had more action then live minnnows, kinda funny i thought, il be buying 2 dozen minnows tomorrow, 1 dozen mixed bag of big and small emerald shiners, and 1 dozen of a mixed bag of big and small dace, il be trying a different salting method on whatever i dont use, thanks again guys :)

Some anglers use small salties for chumming the holes . We chummed our huts on simcoe for whitefish . We used a rigged can that could dump them 5 feet or so from the bottom to keep the whitefish feeding . The operators chummed all their huts to keep the fish in the area too .

Smerchly could you give a little detail on the rigged up dumping can for Whities please. Sounds effective.

I have found that table salt is a poor choice for salties as it retains too much moisture. Pickling salt works best for me. Scoop live minnows onto a towel to remove excess water, then right into a bag of pickling salt. These will keep in the freezer for more than a year..............Boog

Smerchly could you give a little detail on the rigged up dumping can for Whities please. Sounds effective.

This one is very similar to the ones we used . We would need to let it down very slowly until it reached bottom , then lifted it a few feet before dumping it . We fished in 80-90 fow in Simcoe ...off Oro 11 .

http://www.gofishont.com/smf/ice_fishing/chumming_can_1029.0.html

Another very simple way I have heard , but never tested is to freeze about a dozen or 2 doz minnows, salted or unsalted , in a plastic zip bag full of water . Take them out of the bag when ready to use , & make a small hole through the center of the frozen clump of minnows & tie a looped line through the hole . Add a weight to help find bottom in deep water and lift it up about 6' . Let it sit for about 15 min to allow the minnows to drop off until you feel very little weight left , then check to see if all the minnows have fallen to the bottom . I would experiment at home with a 5 gal. bucket of ice water to see how long it takes for them to drop off .

Anyone try them on tip ups? How well do you think they'd work?

from my experience the past outing salties on the tip up work fine, i had my tip up line tied to a pickeral rig and i hooked a saltie on each hook, both were hooked through the tail. caught me fish

from my experience the past outing salties on the tip up work fine, i had my tip up line tied to a pickeral rig and i hooked a saltie on each hook, both were hooked through the tail. caught me fish

Sweet! That would make it real easy to use tip ups on those days that i go out before I start work.

I used some salties I made a few months back for the first time after discovering Peter's Tackle was out of minnows. I was fishing with a slab grabber at sugarloaf and the perch wouldn't hit unless there was a salty on the hook. I made the salties using kosher salt. I put about a half inch of salt in a pail and laid a layer of minnows on top (patted them dry with a paper towel first to remove excess moisture). I then put a layer of salt on top, entirely covering the minnows. I left the bucket by the furnace and they dried out quickly. The minnows were real small so that probably helped too. After forgetting about them for a few weeks, I placed them in ziplock bags with salt and placed them in a container that I'm keeping in the freezer. I don't think I would have caught anything without them. The next batch I make, I'll put a little more effort into making them after seeing how effective they are.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok heres a bit of a demo,

1: drain all your leftover minnows and gently mix with salt, put in a sealable container in the fridge for 24 hrs. (sorry no pic for this).

2: gently rinse of the salt and strain (sorry no pic for this either) lol.

3: add a few drops of food colouring and gently mix to coat the minnows.

405722282.jpg

4: now find a large enough container and cover the bottom with a liberal amount of salt.

405722284.jpg

5: place the minnows on the salt taking care that they dont touch one another.

6: cover the 1st layer again with a liberal amount of salt.

405722285.jpg

7: repeat.

405722288.jpg

405722299.jpg

8: put in the fridge uncovered for 3-4 hours for small shiners, 5-6 hours for the bigguns'

9: in a colonder gently rinse off all of the salt. (I strain the colors separately to avoid bleeding).

405722302.jpg

10: once clean of salt, remove to newsprint and let dry for 1 hour.

405722332.jpg

11: now they have dried out a bit just pack and date: good in fridge for a few weeks, freeze for up to a year.

405722344.jpg

Kids will have a blast with this, and remember if your using a cryo' machine like I did set it to delicate, and please recycle!!!

Thanks for reading!!!

Archived