Wifi Help

jordanl

hey guys, so ever since iv been living in the soo i have noticed a problem with the internet at the house, every now and then the internet will just completely drop, it wont give any warning, it will just drop, and not work for 5-10 seconds, then it will start working again, it does this anywhere from 1-2 times a day to 20+ times a day, im we use at times we do have alot of machines running internet, 2 xbox's, 4 cell phones, 3 laptops but it will drop even when there is just one laptop running off it, im leaning towards the router needing to be replaced, but i would like to hear other peoples thoughts before i ask the roomies to chip in for a new one

thanks guys

Id lean towards s bad router. However you in a high student area? Ask others around you ... could be something shaw is doing to f*** with bandwidth rapers or gamers

Have you reset the router recently? Sometimes it needs a restart. To clean it get air in a can and blow away any dust you see on it

Most likely a router issue. Have you tried connecting directly to the modem with an ethernet to see if it still drops? Since it's an intermittent trouble, I know that can be a PITA to have it plugged in until it stops working, but that's the easiest way to prove it to your router

well to answer a few questions, this area in particular isnt to big on the student to normal resident ratio, but the the city is more of less a college/university city.
i havnt tried connecting directly to the router with the ethernet, but if i can find ethernet then i will try that.
i have reset the router multiple times since its part of the troubleshooting steps on my xbox.

i think we have some canned air around thee house so i will try to clean it out and see if that helps, if it doesnt then i will more then likely ask people in the house to chip in for a new router

i havnt tried connecting directly to the router with the ethernet, but if i can find ethernet then i will try that.

Jordan you wanna bypass the router all together.

Connect directly to the modem with your PC, laptop, xbox, or whatever via ethernet.

If you find a significant improvement in connection stability then you know it must be something past the modem (the router or your personal devices...since you're losing connection with all devices, it's probably the router).

If there's only a marginal or no improvement, it must be the modem or a network issue.

But yeah, try dusting first since that' easiest, then start troubleshooting from there. Good luck man!

Could be the Modem retrieving a new IP, or DCHP renewing on the router, it needs to drop WIFI in order to do this. Or it could be a bad router...

But I would lean more towards DHCP renewing.

Archived