Lake Gibson And Port D

manutd_jeeves

Fished Lake Gibson and Port tonight. Port was slow... Caught 5 very small rock bass. Went to Lake Gibson in search of crappie or big bluegill, and was pleasantly surprised to have a 4 pound small mouth hammer my bait. As per site rules, I will not post the photograph, but boy was it a beauty! Anybody know where I can get perch from shore?

Jeeves

posting pics is fine, but rules are to not post pics of out of season fish to avoid the flame war

Not sure why there would be a flame war for posting a pic. As long as the fish was released, who cares. People just need to chill out. Oh well. I Guess I won't post the 22 inch smallie I caught a few days ago! LOL!

Not sure why there would be a flame war for posting a pic. As long as the fish was released, who cares. People just need to chill out. Oh well. I Guess I won't post the 22 inch smallie I caught a few days ago! LOL!

Because the right thing to do is to unhook that fish as quickly as possible be it boat side or lake side avoiding even lifting it out of the water and send it on its way with minimal possibility of harming the fish..

Everybody knows not to target bass that are out of season. I don't know why everybody and there brother needs to reinforce that fact whenever bass are brought up. Snapping a quick pic isn't going to cause any additional harm to the fish. Really if people are this concerned about harming the fishery they should just stop fishing. Generally people are too uptight and need to mind their own business. People tend to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts. I keep seeing it way too often. Its turning into one of my pet peeves. Sorry for the short rant!

Everybody knows not to target bass that are out of season. I don't know why everybody and there brother needs to reinforce that fact whenever bass are brought up. Snapping a quick pic isn't going to cause any additional harm to the fish. Really if people are this concerned about harming the fishery they should just stop fishing. Generally people are too uptight and need to mind their own business. People tend to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts. I keep seeing it way too often. Its turning into one of my pet peeves. Sorry for the short rant!

i tried to pm you but apparently i cant. and no, not everybody knows not to target oos fish. people will deliberately target these fish because they are easy to catch and showing a pic with a location will only make it worse. i myself was guilty of doing this about a week ago and have seen the error of my ways. besides we all know what a smallmouth bass looks like

yakfish, tons of folks out there don't have a clue about how to handle and release fish.

Rule is that you must immediately return an OOS fish to the water. You don't get to rummage around for your camera, turn it on, hold the fish out of water by its lip for five or ten minutes while you get the right shot, and then throw it back.

You get to unhook it and release it. No need to touch it, let alone remove it from the water.

The number of morons out there fishing with triple-treble hook lures, fully barbed, tearing the fish in half to get the lure out, then bouncing it around on the rocks and the dirt, then holding the fish vertically with dry hands while it's axphyxiating... it ain't cool, and if it doesn't change, PITA will get fishing banned.

It's simple respect for the resource. Gamefish are too precious to be caught once. Single barbless FTW, and anybody that needs to net a fish under 20" should be restricted to golfing.

yakfish, tons of folks out there don't have a clue about how to handle and release fish.

Rule is that you must immediately return an OOS fish to the water. You don't get to rummage around for your camera, turn it on, hold the fish out of water by its lip for five or ten minutes while you get the right shot, and then throw it back.

You get to unhook it and release it. No need to touch it, let alone remove it from the water.

The number of morons out there fishing with triple-treble hook lures, fully barbed, tearing the fish in half to get the lure out, then bouncing it around on the rocks and the dirt, then holding the fish vertically with dry hands while it's axphyxiating... it ain't cool, and if it doesn't change, PITA will get fishing banned.

It's simple respect for the resource. Gamefish are too precious to be caught once. Single barbless FTW, and anybody that needs to net a fish under 20" should be restricted to golfing.

I'd like to think I can give people more credit than that. Sure you have a knot head here or there that is completely clueless but how many fish is that person really going to catch? I think your post is a bit over dramatic. How many fish have you really seen ripped in half due to being caught on a lure with 3 trebles?? Fishing is a multi-billion dollar per year industry. Its not going to get banned. This isn't to say there isn't a proper way to handle fish that are caught. There absolutely is... but snapping a quick pic isn't going to make a difference for 99.9% of bass caught. It only takes a moment to take a camera out of a pocket. It isn't the 10 minute production you make it out to be.

With so many people "concerned" about destroying the fishery I have to wonder why they spend time fishing at all. Or maybe these folks just aren't happy unless they are controlling someone else's recreation.

Yakfish; you cant ride a dead horse, so why beat it?

Take your pictures, share them with friends, and wear a shirt that says "I RUINED SPORT FISHING FOR THE REST OF YAS".

This is what I'm talking about... :wall:

WOW.....this one's way over the top, get a hold of yourself, we electro-shock, pick up the floaters, throw them in a tub, measure, weigh, take scale samples and tag them and catch them 2yrs later. A guy takes a picture of a Bass and it's certain death, give me a break......you my friend should be president of the P3ta idiots

Ya and I fished Port D friday......it sucked hahahah

I'm against hurting golf balls, so I fish

WOW.....this one's way over the top, get a hold of yourself, we electro-shock, pick up the floaters, throw them in a tub, measure, weigh, take scale samples and tag them and catch them 2yrs later. A guy takes a picture of a Bass and it's certain death, give me a break......you my friend should be president of the P3ta idiots

Ya and I fished Port D friday......it sucked hahahah

One can never be "over the top" when trying to educate so called anglers how to respect our delicate fisheries. No angler has any business whatsoever photographing an OOS fish. Period. We all know fish photographs take time to take and I do not believe for a second the majority of hero shots are snapped in less than 10 seconds.

We electro shock fish for a reason, not for entertainment. This method is conducted once annually if budgets etc come together for a large body of water such as the Welland River and the results are used to protect and conserve our suffering fisheries.

Electro shocking is not conducted so we can pose like a hero with an out of season fish to show off to others who do not respect not only the fish but the art of angling. Dozens and dozens of anglers taking hero shots of OOS fish adds up on a heavy toll on our fisheries. Half of these morons have no clue how to live release a fish.

Anyone who catches an OOS fish includes it in the "Personal Best" column if it large enough, must do it with an asterisk if at all and that means with NO PHOTOS! Even using the "asterisk" I find to be pathetic. Completely wipe all OOS fish from your memory banks and release them FAST!!!

OOS fish hero shots are just another of the small jabs and chips our fisheries take every day.

One can never be "over the top" when trying to educate so called anglers how to respect our delicate fisheries. No angler has any business whatsoever photographing an OOS fish. Period. We all know fish photographs take time to take and I do not believe for a second the majority of hero shots are snapped in less than 10 seconds.

We electro shock fish for a reason, not for entertainment. This method is conducted once annually if budgets etc come together for a large body of water such as the Welland River and the results are used to protect and conserve our suffering fisheries.

Electro shocking is not conducted so we can pose like a hero with an out of season fish to show off to others who do not respect not only the fish but the art of angling. Dozens and dozens of anglers taking hero shots of OOS fish adds up on a heavy toll on our fisheries. Half of these morons have no clue how to live release a fish.

Anyone who catches an OOS fish includes it in the "Personal Best" column if it large enough, must do it with an asterisk if at all and that means with NO PHOTOS! Even using the "asterisk" I find to be pathetic. Completely wipe all OOS fish from your memory banks and release them FAST!!!

OOS fish hero shots are just another of the small jabs and chips our fisheries take every day.

WOW! Talk about self righteous. I guess everyone That doesn't match up to your standards should be banned from fishing. I've had enough of this board. Time to spend more time on the water than on the internet for me. I believe in conservation as much as the next guy, but sometimes people get way too snobbish about it.

It's ok for 60 bass boats to go out fill there live tubs up the biggest/ nicest fish they can grab, drive them miles back to a stage, shove them in a bag, throw them in a tub and weigh them and hold up the nicest ones by the jaw so everyone can see how great they are. Maybe the fish get returned within a few miles of there orginal homes and we call these guys proffesionals, a dude gets a nice Bass takes a quick picture and releases it back to its orgininal structure and he's a moron......give your heads a shake and tell me who is doing more damage to our so called delicate fishery

Putting this to bed. Interpret the rules as you see fit.

Open Seasons
– Fishing season opening and closing dates vary depending on the species and the area.
Dates are inclusive; all dates including the first and last dates stated in the summary are open or closed.
It is illegal to attempt to catch fish for which the season is closed, even if you are going to release them
Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back
to the water. Unless stated otherwise, species that are not listed
(such as sucker and rock bass) have a year-round open season

Archived