Twisted Sturgeon

Jim K

Take a look at this poor fish. The hunchback of Stella Niagara?

http://youtu.be/LQ_zL9nZ3sc

On an unrelated note, I was able to get my Ontario conservation license online, but it took quite a few attempts. If a private companies web site worked like some of these government sites( U.S. and Can.), I wonder how long they would stay in business?

On an unrelated note, I was able to get my Ontario conservation license online, but it took quite a few attempts. If a private companies web site worked like some of these government sites( U.S. and Can.), I wonder how long they would stay in business?

Actually, the licensing was farmed out to a private firm in the states

As for the sturgeon... Fish adapt quite well to deformity, and damage. People post pics of the blind damaged deformed, all the time. Even caught a bass with it's upper lip completely ripped off. It was still able to forage for food.

That sturgeon is just getting old :( ....... There are many reasons why fish get bent like that . I believe chemicals also play a part in fish deformities , maybe from birth , or in some cases from an injury . I know of a pond in a field which is spring fed with nice clear water and many of the chubs that were stocked there have crooked spines . The fields are treated with chemicals and there is some runoff from rains .

We see quite a few fish that were injured by anglers. I carry a set of nipex cutters that can easily cut hooks. Hooks are cheap. It's so easy to free a fish that got both sets of trebles by cutting a point or two. Having a bit of regard for the fish we are going to release can really help.

The fish we most often see deformed are walleye, bass and muskie often bear the scars of fishing, and rock bass seem more prone to disease, maybe because they often live in dense schools. Sheepshead seem to have the most tumors.

I have also read that Chemical contamination is a big factor in birth defects and tumors in fish.

Archived