Walleye Bite Is On Fire

jessek

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to be a downer, but your take home seems a little excessive. I don't know what the limit is where you're fishing , but this is more of a moral argument as opposed to a legal one.

Me 6

My dad 3

My friend Jeff 3

And my friend James 6

= 18

When there average ten pound s each it does seem like a lot but they will be eaten. Of course it's erie no place else to catch walleye like that.

Me 6

My dad 3

My friend Jeff 3

And my friend James 6

= 18

When there average ten pound s each it does seem like a lot but they will be eaten. Of course it's erie no place else to catch walleye like that.

Great job!! What depth were they? What were they hitting? Harnes, crankbait?

Nice Catch! We've been crushing them too.

Sidenote, Isn't possession limit how many you are allowed to possess? So if the possession limit is 6 and you have 6 in the freezer, you are not allowed to keep anymore until you eat atleast one of the six? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I have perceived this!

Wow.....good catch jessek ! You guys obviously had a great day on Erie ! If I got into the pickeral like that I would be cleaning up my limit and having a great BBQ ! If I had the choice I would be keeping the 2-3 pounders for nicer eating . Don't forget to save me the cheeks OK ? B)

Sidenote, Isn't possession limit how many you are allowed to possess? So if the possession limit is 6 and you have 6 in the freezer, you are not allowed to keep anymore until you eat atleast one of the six? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I have perceived this!

You are right.

You are correct! You can not legally fill your freezer, that means 6 fish per each licensed member in your family.

My buddy and I finally got out on Saturday with my brother and we got 8 between the 3 of us. We gave 6 to my brother and my buddy took 2 for dinner. We went out sunday and had a limit of 12 between the 2 of us by noon. We have never done well in past years and this was by far our best outings so we took advantage of it. My friend's boat is only 17ft and we can't get out when it is rough. Last weekend was great, although a little hot. You have to be conscious that the possession limit is the same as the daily limit. Luckily, I have no problem eating fish as quickly as I get it...and I have 4 brothers who love fish. My favourite lately is mixing crushed Ritz crackers with whatever flavor potato chip I decide on and some spices...mmmm.

Nice going guys....looks like some good eating there for sure. Been told before that from the air you can actually see at times thick black clouds that stretch for miles of walleye off Pele island. No shortage of eyes it appears....so go get em...

One other thing...for the elitists that say you are raping the fishery when you take a limit of 6 fish...which for me was the first time ever on Erie...here is what the commercial fisherman are allowed to do (and it was dropped this year).

The commercial fishery was allowed to take 3.487 million walleye last year. This has been reduced to 3.356 million.

For yellow perch...

The allowable catch for yellow perch – the tasty panfish that is a staple of seafood restaurants along Erie’s north shore – has been reduced 10%. Commercial fishermen were allowed to take 13.63 million pounds last year. This has been reduced to 12.23 million pounds

Depending on weather I will be lucky to get out a couple more times and if I am not over my possession limit I will take a few then as well. We may have very well been lucky and will go back to being unable to find a fish as in some past outings. Get out and enjoy while you can.

On any body of water where there is commercial netting or any netting allowed , don't be shy to take your limit of fish anytime . I do not need a license (over 65) and I can have 12 fat walleye in my freezer . ( 6 for wife) . I can also give my relatives or friends some fillets and replenish my freezer many times over as long as I don't keep over 12 eyes (or 100 perch) etc etc etc......Bon appetite ! :)

People have to start learning to refrain from making comments about keeping a legal limit of fish. Leave opinions out. Saying you think something is "excessive" is silly, as he is well within his limit, and therefore not excessive.

The same people who whine about keeping a few fish, are the ones that go to sobeys and buy a bag of perch or pickerel, supporting the commercial fishermen.

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was merely expressing my opinion (in a very polite way, I might add)

this is why we have forums.

I have always been of the mind set of limiting my catch, not catching my limit.

All of this aside, it's good to see the fish won't be wasted. Enjoy.

I have a hunt camp up north on a small lake and we are careful not to overfish it, even though we are only up there a few times a year and the locals fish there all the time. But Lake Erie is a different thing. If I ever master it and am able to catch my limit often I would surely throw back many fish...although I would still wonder if they were going to end up in a gill net anyways. If I get any big ones this weekend I will probably throw them back as I like the smaller ones for eating anyways.

The diference between a 10 lb walleye from Lake Erie to a backwoods lake if they get that big is that a Lake Erie fish could be only 5 6 7 years old but a big back lake walleye it's old probally over ten maybe up to 15. I got no trouble keeping some big ones from erie. The smaller ones were kept too a good mix bag. And saving the cheeks for a real treat one day

Archived