Walleye Bite Is On Fire

jessek

If only the politicians would take a serious look at the laws they pass in the Legislature, then us 'simple folk' would be better able to know what we can bring home to our families. But, those politicians are 'simple folk' like us, and rely on the lawyers to write the laws. Now we see the problem!

The way the laws are written, there is so much 'grey area', that even if you are sure you are OK, there is lingering doubt. Interpretation of the regs by the parties concerned, is the problem. Them and us.

I believe that a huge percentage of the folks charged with limit offenses , truly and honestly believed they did no wrong.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the day comes that the government comes into your house to count the number of walleye in your freezer is the day we have a much bigger problem than the definitions of catch limits and possessions limits!

I will admitt I laughed

I needed it. Sitting in an airport waiting for my delayed flight

We are now having some very nasty weather Snags . Lots of wind , lightening & heavy rains ....more on the way shortly & through the night . Have a nice nap and see you in the morning !

I'm not trying to be a downer, but your take home seems a little excessive. I don't know what the limit is where you're fishing , but this is more of a moral argument as opposed to a legal one.

I think somebody is a little jealous... :)

I'm not sure walleye filleted on your freezer can count toward you possession limit since you aren't possessing the entire walleye, just the fillets. If you had a whole walleye in your freezer then yes, it would count toward you possession limit. But I may very well be wrong...

I disagree with ihasfish's initial comment. I don't know why everyone has to state their "moral" opinion on this subject. We have limits for a reason let just stick to those and keep your opinion to yourself. Until everyone has the same standard for what is "moral" then it doesn't matter what you view of "moral" is. Mine will be different than yours and one isn't "better" or hold any more weight than the other. When you come onto these forums and start throwing around your "morals" and opinions and trying to impose them on other is when these forum start loosing users. This community was design help fishermen, and to share strategies and tactics and our enjoyment of the sport of fishing. The more people we have onboard the better. No need to scare people away because you don't think we should abide by the regulation that the authorities have put in place for the good of the fishery. I wonder how good the fishing would be if we weren't allowed to keep any fish from the lake? Chances are there would be a lot of stunted fish that wouldn't be able to reach their potential because there wouldn't be enough food to support them all. I think the limit could even be increased and have more walleye taken out of the lake. this would allow the walleye that remain to grow larger because they would have to compete with as many other fish for food. you may not have as many fish left as you do now but they ones that remained would be larger.

To the OP: Awesome job I hope you all enjoy the fish fry!

Yes a filleted walleye counts in a possesion limit

When the day comes that the government comes into your house to count the number of walleye in your freezer is the day we have a much bigger problem than the definitions of catch limits and possessions limits!

If you are reported or suspected of having over your limit of fish they will come.

If its kids involved their contribution goes towards the adult's license; six kids, one bass each for dad if dad is skunked. ;)

No where in the regs does it say this. I believe this is true in the Province of Quebec but not in Ontario. What if dad has no licence?

Specifically the Regs state "A person is deemed to be a holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence if they are:

1. Residents of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old...and in possession of...identification card...that indicates their name and date of birth".

"Those who qualify to fish with a deemed licence must follow the same catch and possession limits as a Sport Fishing Licence".

I'm pretty sure its in there, because I've been under that assumption my entire fishing life.

Plus, if dad has no license he's fishing illegally, fish kept or not.

Grappler just showed you that it isn't there. Your assumption was wrong. Never assume

Plus, if dad has no license he's fishing illegally, fish kept or not.

If he is fishing then you are correct, however, if there are only poles for the children and they are the ones fishing then he is not in violation. (If there are extra poles then that can be construed as circumstancial evidence against him)

Once again we enter the twilight zone of the regulations :crazy: .....The reg .book is only a summary & if we asked the MNR directly we may get different answers from different people . That's why we have lawyers who interpret the wording in the law books to argue their case .

Drifter ....if Dad takes his young teenagers fishing , I believe they can all fish even if Dad has no license & each can take their limits , or would it be different if each kid went fishing separately with a friend & came home with their limit of bass , perch or eyes etc. ? As we can see , it gets pretty fishy , these regs ......... :wall:

Be like the Kronzz .....shore lunch anyone ? :smiley_campfire-1:

If its kids involved their contribution goes towards the adult's license; six kids, one bass each for dad if dad is skunked. ;)

Not true, the limit would be 42 bass as long as dad holds a sport fishing liscence if not 39 would be the limit. This is how my special friends out on the piers keep so many Bass, they bring the whole family and then some. This was also confirmed to me from the CO, he cannot charge the group unless the group has exceeded there over all limit. In fact I was there and a party of 3 were coming off the pier with 19 bass, 1 over, he tried to find out who had the extra fish but none of them would admit it, so all 3 got a $330 fine.

Here are two extracts from the regs that might clear up this last point...

Ontario resident

Those who qualify to fish with a deemed licence, must follow the same catch and possession limits as holders of a Resident Sport Fishing Licence Tag.

However,

• Non-Canadian residents under 18 years of age may fish without a licence if accompanied by a person who has a valid Ontario-issued recreational fishing licence (or deemed licence). Any fish caught are part of the catch and possession limit of the person who holds the licence. As another option, non-Canadian residents under 18 years may purchase a licence and any fish caught apply to the catch and possession limits of that licence.

Archived