Walleye Bite Is On Fire

jessek

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was merely expressing my opinion (in a very polite way, I might add)

this is why we have forums.

I have always been of the mind set of limiting my catch, not catching my limit.

All of this aside, it's good to see the fish won't be wasted. Enjoy.

tough to believe, as in your original post you referred to it as "more of a moral argument". Either way, nice catch.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to be a downer, but your take home seems a little excessive. I don't know what the limit is where you're fishing , but this is more of a moral argument as opposed to a legal one.

I agree.... my first post here but wow, the moral core of an angler plays a massive role in the health of fish populations, not "government guidelines". Have you seen the mess governments of all shapes and sizes get us into with their "solutions" and dictates?

Classic "Legal vs Moral" issue here.

If we employ the "I am taking mine cause the commercial netters take theirs" maxim, we are all toast. Sure, take your limit now and then on a body of water you may know well and know the impact won't be nagative, but meat hunting daily, 3 times a week, isn't going to help anyone in the long run. That's why we have Kraft Dinner so we don't have to milk our fisheries to the point of no return, as has been done in this province umpteen million times in the past.

Could the photo be better taken instead of showing a bunch of walleye piled disrespectfully on the floor of a boat? Sure. Does he have a right to take his limit? Of course. I only hope and pray that we all "run the numbers" in our heads when we decide to take what we feel is ours from nature based on "government guidlines and regulations".

East coast fishermen were legally allowed to suck the cod fishery dry until the mid 1980's. Let's enjoy eating what we catch in an intelligent manner.

Some of you guys are a piece of work and probably never caught your limit of walleye. Jessek posts a picture of some walleye he caught and I would say he knows what the limit is. You wonder why people do not post what and where they are catching fish when you get all this negativity. First it is a picture of oss fish now this. What are you going to female dog about next?

The best thing about Walleye, (I still call them Pickerel), is the way they taste, They don't fight well, they are not at all flashy/sexy like Steelhead.

They are plentiful enough on Lake Erie that the Province still allows very liberal limits.

For heavens sake, eat them up, and take what you can use, within the scope of the law.

If I remember correctly my mother used to say "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" really applies here.

If I was lucky enough to get out on a boat and catch my limit of eyes, you can bet your bottom dollar 6 would be in my belly and freezer for future meals.

Perhaps cutting sport fishing limits will help sustain the fisheries . <_< A good example is Lake Nippissing where the walleye limit has been cut to 2 fish , a nice gift to the netters , and not so nice to the local businesses . My last post was tongue in cheek to show how the limits can legally be taken advantage of ......I fish Erie once in a blue moon and would be happy taking a limit of smaller eyes when the fishing is "on fire" . I'm happy to have a feed of perch once or twice a month , there are others that will fish everyday and take their limits while the fishing is hot . It's all legal either way as long as fish aren't wasted . The charter guys post pictures of big strings of walleyes to get more business . The regular Joe fisherman is just a drop in the bucket compared to the commercials out there . You guys have a nice fish fry to celebrate your hot day on Erie , that's what it's all about.

I am not running a babysitting service here but rather a fishing service ! We share info AND pics if we see fit. If an angler has a licence and he choses to share and post then so be it providing they are staying within the scope of the law and in my opinion this post does just that and he has every right to keep his limit. So lets move on and enjoy these pictures and the stories behind them. Go fishing and share that info so we can all enjoy what this web site is. A Fishing web site

Don't want to start a dissing session but how do the following regulations re limit/possession allow you Smerch to do what you say you can do?

The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day, and includes fish that are retained for any period of time and any fish eaten or given away.

The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day's catch limit except where otherwise specified.

I hope I'm reading this wrong but IMO your possession limit for your family can only be 6 fish not 12. In order for you to possess 12 fish, your wife as well as your relatives would have to catch their own and only after they have consumed their possession could they limit out again.

Does the commercial fishing designation given to a lake you fish change this reading?

I only want clarification. There are a number of regulations that appear to be ambiguous..

I hear you Greyhawk ......the regs can be ambiguous for sure .Actually , my wife likes to fish & many times we shared our catches for the freezer . Now you have me thinking......If I put 6 eyes in the freezer one day & add six more for her (gift or not) , am I breaking the regs ? How is it proven she didn't catch them ? I think it's far easier to let people who share the same residence keep a day's limit of fish each . Imagine the people who live in North Bay who would like a nice walleye dinner & can only have 2 in the freezer .....If a family with 6 kids go bass fishing , how many bass can they bring home ....48 ? My comment on commercial limits is just pointing out the huge numbers of fish they take from the lakes compared to the average angler who takes 6 fish to eat . As we know most anglers release their fish which makes the average numbers very small .

When you are fishing in L Erie you are in zone 19 and allowed 6 walleye with no restrictions. When you come to shore you are in zone 16 with a limit of 4 walleye with restrictions . You have 6 walleye. Are you over your limit? Never ending.

I'm not sure walleye filleted on your freezer can count toward you possession limit since you aren't possessing the entire walleye, just the fillets. If you had a whole walleye in your freezer then yes, it would count toward you possession limit. But I may very well be wrong...

I disagree with ihasfish's initial comment. I don't know why everyone has to state their "moral" opinion on this subject. We have limits for a reason let just stick to those and keep your opinion to yourself. Until everyone has the same standard for what is "moral" then it doesn't matter what you view of "moral" is. Mine will be different than yours and one isn't "better" or hold any more weight than the other. When you come onto these forums and start throwing around your "morals" and opinions and trying to impose them on other is when these forum start loosing users. This community was design help fishermen, and to share strategies and tactics and our enjoyment of the sport of fishing. The more people we have onboard the better. No need to scare people away because you don't think we should abide by the regulation that the authorities have put in place for the good of the fishery. I wonder how good the fishing would be if we weren't allowed to keep any fish from the lake? Chances are there would be a lot of stunted fish that wouldn't be able to reach their potential because there wouldn't be enough food to support them all. I think the limit could even be increased and have more walleye taken out of the lake. this would allow the walleye that remain to grow larger because they would have to compete with as many other fish for food. you may not have as many fish left as you do now but they ones that remained would be larger.

To the OP: Awesome job I hope you all enjoy the fish fry!

According to the MNR if you give away fish (ie. gift fish) they still count towards your daily and/or possession count. I could not go out and get my limit of something, freeze it, give it to kid #1 than go out the next day and do the same thing for kid #2 and so on. Until the fish is consumed, if you caught it, it counts towards your possession. Take it as you will but that's the way the MNR interprits it and they are the ones who hand out the fines.

Edit: Apparently I may be wrong here. YMMV.

heres a question for you reg sticklers....what if i live alone and buy 10 lake erie walleyes worth of meat from the store? There isn't a limit on buying it is there?
Can I still bring a fresh one that I caught home?.....(I would never do this.....I only eat my own) just curious

Archived