Dove Hunt 2013 Excited !

pike007

Keep in mind that this means no lead loads on your person if you shoot a dove with nontoxic shot. The dove is treated the same as a duck or goose. So if you are grouse hunting or woodcock hunting and want to pot a passing dove.......have only nontoxic shot or take your chances. With a new season I expect the COs will be on the lookout .

Doves are about the size of a woodkok (can't use the real word here lol) There isn't much meat on them . A pigeon has more meat on their breast & I don't know if they are legal to shoot now. They like to feed with the geese on the corn fields . I have eaten partridge and they are excellent . Pheasant meat is darker meat but still very good eating , and of course , wild turkey is just fantastic !

I'm excited as well. It's great to hear that the population is healthy and we can have a sustainable harvest in Ontario. In the States, dove hunting is very popular. A pigeon season would be great as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but the rock dove (pigeon) was brought here from Europe and was not a native species in North America.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks pike007. I wasn't sure. I pulled this information from the ministry's website:

...A small game licence tag also permits you to hunt

American crow, brown-headed cowbird, common grackle, house
sparrow, red-winged blackbird or starlings and other animals
not scheduled under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997

(e.g., groundhogs)**

So no closed season and no limit. Mmmm pigeon...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived