Carptales......stalking

NickBury

There are many ways to catch carp; one of my favourite ways is to stalk them. There is nothing more exciting or tricky than stalking a fish and not just any fish, but a big wiley carp. For it got big for a reason, and one of those reasons was not being a fool.

The Common Carp can lay up to 300,000 eggs at a time.. Out of those eggs only a handful will every make it and if you find yourself looking down at a 20lb+ carp. Then you’re likely looking at a fish that for the last 15 years hasn’t made a mistake. From being a small fry, its dodged its way through bacterial and fungal infections, which take a good chunk off the laid egg population, in the first week or so of life. Its managed to escape from the vast array of small predators at the fry stage, where every moment, of everyday, is a constant battle not to end up in some bigger monsters belly.

By the time they have made it to the juvenile stage there numbers have been decimated, with maybe only a few hundred brothers and sisters remaining. Their battle for survival doesn’t end there, now the predators are bigger and better equipped at eating them. They are now getting attacked from air, land and water. With the sleek, stealthy pike looking for an easy meal, the mischievous otter with a perpetual hunger and the ever watchful heron spying from above. To evade capture the fish are constantly honing their survival skills, constantly improving their senses, for what equals and indicates danger. For the bigger they get, the harder they are to catch.

Fast Forward fifteen years and you have a well-adapted, cream of the crop, eating machine. One of only a handful of survivors from the 300,000 candidates laid by its mother. It has a vast array of experiences and education to draw upon, to make sure it still evades capture. Although at this size it doesn’t have many predators left, its tactics of; get big as fast as possible, have seemed to work out just fine.

It does face a new battle and a tough one. One of the toughest and most successful predators on the planet. It faces us. Carp Anglers. With are bite alarms, boilies, flavoured maize, gizmo’s and gadgets, we will all try and out- think and out-smart are beloved prey. It could be worse for old Mr. Carp, unlike its adversaries before, we will gently pluck it from its environment, lay it on a foam pad, admire its beauty and size, then quickly return it to its underwater world. Where it can grow bigger and wiser and maybe play apart it creating the next generation of Crafty Carp.

3cf842e8-fa20-45b5-a5c6-206852e67a7b_zps

For me there is no better way the viewing and precipitating in this engaging cycle of life then stalking. For it horns are skills as well, it can strip away decades of media hollywood doo-doo,modern day living…. and uncover a primeval hunter that is ever present and not far from the surface in all of us. Like the blue heron you will need a keen eye, stealth, slow movements and a lot of patience. But in the end will be rewarded with a heart attack inducing, excitement filled moment, which will drive you on for more. You will be more aware of your surroundings, more aware of the little things, the details and the wonderful environment we call our home.

6f1f222c-e14a-42cf-ab10-1c72213822a7_zps

Finding the fish is the first priority; in crystal clear water this task is not so bad. In the muddy murky waters of Henley Island, it can be quite a challenge. But with patience, a bit of knowledge and a lot of luck it’s possible.

On a trip last week, after hours of looking and routing around under overhanging trees and bushes. I finally found the tell-tale signs. Through my binoculars I could see some pin prick bubbles coming to the surface on the far bank of the island. After a short walk, I was on top of the fish. Six good size fish feeding greedily in the margins, under a weeping willow tree. I introduced a couple of grains of corn on top of their heads. One of the bigger fish, with a quick flick of its tail, circled out of the swim. But the others carried on their business as if nothing had happened. Excitedly I tried to reposition myself to get a better angle for my rod.

“CRACK” the branch that I was leaning on snapped in two, the fish bolted off out of the swim. After a few choice words out of my mouth, I got myself set up and ready to go. The fish were gone, but being creatures of habit, I banked on them coming back and when they did my trap would be set. I chucked in a good handful of groundbait, which consisted of rolled oats, breadcrumb, cornmeal, sweetcorn and beans. It left a nice milky cloud running through the water Colum. Once it had settled, there was a delicate blanket of Carpy goodness on the bottom. Now the waiting game began. .......Twenty minutes later, with cramped knees and an aching back the fish returned. Six In total, two single’s with 4 fish around the 20lb mark. The hungry, younger fish came straight on top of the bait, sucking and blowing, filtering out the crum and corn from silt and rocks. The bigger fish milled around on the outside for a couple of minutes, as if waiting and seeing. Analyzing the threat. One broke ranks and muscled its way in, head down, tail up. The following three came in and pushed the smaller fish to the outside. The water churned and boiled as all four bigger fish started to feed aggressively on the bait. This was my cue…. I ever so slowly lowered a single hook, no weight, or float…with four pieces of corn down into the boiling mud storm. Visibility was now zero. Just four tail fins breaking the surface. The slack of the line lying on top of the water. It must have only been 30-40 seconds but felt like an eternity. The line twitched, twitched again. The coils in the line started to slowly straight out. With a quick flick upwards and an explosion in the water, I was in. The rod bent double and the drag sizzling off, the fish headed out from under the willow and into open water. I couldn’t believe my luck. With a healthy set of pads to my left and I’m sure numerous under water branches of the willow, I got real lucky. The only problem now was, I had a decent fish running into open water, which was fine. But I was still perched under this gigantic willow. There was only one option available, and that was to get in the water and wade from out under the tree. I sank the rod tip low and in I went.

It was quite the performance and by the time I got from under the outer branches I could see that the local Korean fisherman in the next spot, looking confused, if not a little scared. I can only imagine what they were thinking….”what the hell is coming out from under that tree…. Was it some wild, angry, creature???… no it’s a mad Englishman, waist deep, with a fishing rod bent double.” After a spirited fight, I finally slipped the net over the fish. Another marvelous Canadian Common, in pristine condition.

The Koreans now excited by what they saw, were milling around happy and chuckling. There English limited….”Big Fish, Big Fish”..”you keep??” No I explained…” this one will go back to get bigger”.. There were smiles all around, everyone happy to see such a fantastic creature on the bank. Happy to see it slide back into its world….probably a little wiser and a little craftier.

Tight Lines

421_zps6228ebd4.jpg

417_zps3c42785b.jpg

Wow, now that's a report. What an awesome read, thanks for educating and sharing!

DITTO ! Very informative read and great photos. The last one looks like a jumbo carp . I also like the blue heron shot .....looks like the point at CDP .

man, thats a second fantastic write up by yourself. i really enjoy seeing your posts. and congrats on getting into a nice sized carp. iv always wanted to fish for carp at that spot, across the pond from your spot there is a nice horse shoe type area that i always seen carp hanging out in, good spot to stalk the fish

pike eh, i dont fish them much, but lots of ways to fish them, you can toss out a large minnow and a egg sinker if your looking to still fish, you can toss plenty of different kinds of cranks, red devil spoons are always a pike favourite

pike eh, i dont fish them much, but lots of ways to fish them, you can toss out a large minnow and a egg sinker if your looking to still fish, you can toss plenty of different kinds of cranks, red devil spoons are always a pike favourite

are they present in most of the water systems??? CD,16mile,beaverdams etc..... do you do if any of the waters are better for them then the others. haven't really ever seen anyone going for them... some fella pulled one out of lake Gibson a few nights ago. he was lure fishing for bass, but hooked into a 2-3lb pike. it got the old pike taste buds going...wouldn't mind havin a crack at them when it gets a little cooler.

Very nice read and report for sure. Book material right there..."Carp Life"

are they present in most of the water systems??? CD,16mile,beaverdams etc..... do you do if any of the waters are better for them then the others. haven't really ever seen anyone going for them... some fella pulled one out of lake Gibson a few nights ago. he was lure fishing for bass, but hooked into a 2-3lb pike. it got the old pike taste buds going...wouldn't mind havin a crack at them when it gets a little cooler.

try the 3 ponds at the end of collier road in thorold, the biggest one has got some big pike, as well as many other species, gibson as a whole has pike, its more about finding them. iv hooked into a few there tossing bucktail inline spinners, as well as spoons, cd would be difficult since the waters so stained, so youd either have to use dead bait or something that gives off tons of sound and vibration. iv seen pike cruising the piers at port d as well as hooked into a few fishing marinas and tossing against rock walls.

• 3 weeks later...

That was a great report. Thank you. I enjoyed it so very much. Please do more.

I lost 2 carp today at the 12 ......took a light rod ......not the right move ! lol I'll get my revenge tomorrow with my super duper carp rod !! :Gonefishing:

Lorne ....I can't send you a PM ......is you mail box full ? .......

Well ....I whooped them today .....took the 8' salmon rod, 20# braid on the Symetre reel , some canned corn , chopped bread crumbs & the bite was on ! The girls were hungry . After landing one about 7-8 lbs., I tossed my bait back & another carp hit it instantly , before I even tightened up the slack ! I went 6 for 8 on the carp , a great day . I lost a little time after a woman tossed a red ball into the water 15' from me & a large golden retriever made a huge splash beside me ......not another bite for 90 minutes ......she apologized & said she didn't see me . I guess the carp that were in feeding on my chum took off for a while . lol Tons of minnows enjoyed feeding on the bread as it sank to the bottom 7-8 feet below.

.....a few shots of the carp .....one got away before I could get a shot ......

What a great time today ....these small carp can really scrap ! Some headed right into shore & in to the weeds . Heavy gear is a must if you want to muscle them out of the weeds ....... One of the carp had one eye .

12%2520carp%25209-14-2013.jpg

The last carp took me 20 minutes to land ........It went into the weeds & got tangled in some heavy mono line . I pulled in the carp, encased in a ball of weeds & the other line which was attached to a stick on shore , which was attached to a water bottle that contained a few small stones to keep it sitting perpendicular , like a float .On the end was a lead head with a twister . I added this line to other line I found , plus other garbage , including a diaper . I hope to revisit the scene again , probably Monday .......hope they keep the water down .

SAM_3387.JPG

Thats some great stories right there. Makes me a little jealous that it's been a while since I've out. The big girls should be heavy on the feed with the cooler temps, fattening up for the winter.

So I'll hopefully be on the bank soon to try for a couple.

Archived