What Are You Fishing This Fall?

captainplanet

im living in sault saint marie for another 5 days, so i have 4 days of pure fishing, the past week has been rains and cold weather which has brought in the pink salmon, and the chinooks, so two days dedicated to fishing the st marys for that, then il be looking for coaster brook trout for a day and finish off with a day of either pannies of back to the pinks/chinooks/and atlantics. then once im back in niagara region il be going for monster carp, browns,salmon, pike pretty much everything that puts on the feed bag before winter. fall really is a great season in the niagara area, such fishing diversity.

lower river salmon can be fun but I prefer the early steelies filling up on king eggs. see a pod of kings drift behind them for hungry steel feasting on thier eggs. im going mainly artificial this season, not killing any fish for roe. flies jigs and beads hold thier own very nicely imo

Darrin

I am going to fish for kings, steel, browns and maybe some fly fishing of some tribs. Going to catch? well thats a big question mark, never landed a brown so im hoping for my first this year!

Awesome stuff! Topnotch fishing in the Soo. How big you think those coasters get?

I can honestly say that the soo is just as diverse, if not more diverse then niagara, just so many species to go for here, with so much less pressure. Its truley amazing. As for the coasters, they can get pretty big, 12+ and up, in most of the big streams/rivers here they are classfied as "excelent fishing zones" and regulation on them is any spec under 22" is released. One guy was telling me its not uncommon to limit on coasters in the 23 to 26 range

Whatever is hitting in the Nottawasaga.

and that's not much.....sick of the notty myself. Either that or I have as my brother says...the notty curse. Fished it at multiple locations over the years and all I have to speak of is one small bow about 4lb. Same old story I hear every year...should have been here yesterday. Heard that one enough time to not go back anymore.

Bring on the browns, and the steel....and hurry up and get cold, not liking bathing suit fishing.

I'll target more pike & perch .......damn....haven't had a perch meal in over 2 months !! :wall:

And I want to try grandma's secret recipe for carp .......with a little hot sauce from my Uncle Frank . This hot weather tires this old bird , can't wait for the tropical weather to end . :smiley_campfire-1:

Salmon must be on the move judging by all the cars parked in the "free fishing zone".

Hey Tommy go get them, Salmons are running, but there is some sweeeeeeeeet trout fishing on the notty, like everywhere else you gotta figure it out, it gets a sweet run of wild steel and if you put in the time I know you'll get it. It's actually one of the sweetest rivers in Ontario to fish, it has a diverse population of rainbows, your lucky to be there don't pass up the oportunity to fish

I stopped by the river a few times. Levels seem good, muddy as usual, no surfacing fish. I'm just going to concentrate on the areas I know are safe to fish and of course for time constraints.

There is lots of fish in there and lots have pushed way upstream...way way up stream to Angus where you need the permit to fish. I agree with Canadadude, there is some sweet steelie fishing in there if you can hook them. My buddy lost a huge steelie pushing 8-9 lb on the pine yesterday when it bee lined downstream into a log jam. Lots of salmon in both places and way up. Water was a bit off but very fishable....I just have the Notty curse...cant do anything with that system. My brother does good there....but for me, fishing all day for 1 or 2 fish for 5 guys is not very productive. Did see about 10 deer at the Knox Rd area and 3 huge turkeys....cant fish Knox Rd now as there is no parking signs and construction going on. Love the river system there for sure....and don't know it as good as I would like...but just don't have any luck there, nor did the other 10 guys I talked to during the day. The Chinny are way upstream though and lots in since mid July...if you have any tips Im all ears....lol.

Archived