New Rod - Any Thoughts

Tom S

I'm in the market for a new rod & reel, time to upgrade to something that can handle a steelhead. I have no faith in my 6wt Hobbs Creek being able to handle anything like a steelhead.

So, what can you recommend? I'm trying to keep everything around $300. From what I gather I should be looking for something around 7-8wt, and reel with a disc drag. I also want to be able to get one or two extra spools eventually.

For rods, I'm thinking:

-Ross Essence series -> I've heard nothing but positive about these

-Redington Path

-Redington Voyan

-Fulling Mills Classic->European company, I have not seen one in use over here. I've tried their fly line, great stuff.

-Used Sage or Loomis, depending on what I can find

For reels

-Ross Flyrise

-Redington Surge

-Echo Ion?

-

So, can anyone make any recommendations?

Id be the last person with enough experience to advise you, but i purchased the echo ion reel and very pleased with its performance and its drag mine was just over hundred bucks for a 9/10 reel.

I have sent that guy 4 emails and no return emails? I even called the guy? WTF?

RB

I guess its not meant to be....I just pulled the trigger on an allen alpha III fly reel. Cant wait to get it...They have great reviews and are very reasonable.

RB

Buy the Ross Esence FS ..... I own 2 of them!

Ross has amazing customer service Ive dealt with them on several occasions,

Feel free to pm to get a recomendations on where to buy own locally!

Thanks,

Josh

Id be the last person with enough experience to advise you, but i purchased the echo ion reel and very pleased with its performance and its drag mine was just over hundred bucks for a 9/10 reel.

^^ what Dave said

Other than that it depends on what sort of action you feel comfortable with...the TCX for example is a deadly fast rod (pricey too), but you might find a used Sage XP 7wt. or Z-axis. Look at the Wind Warrior by Amundson...same blank as Hardy

cc

I have sent that guy 4 emails and no return emails? I even called the guy? WTF?

RB

I guess its not meant to be....I just pulled the trigger on an allen alpha III fly reel. Cant wait to get it...They have great reviews and are very reasonable.

RB

Hey man...that's cause I bought it. lol. Picking it up Saturday along with all his fly tying gear...

Dave...thats funny cause I replied to that ad fifty minutes after he posted it(Sept 2). Even called him. Good for you that you got it...just disapointed the guy never gave me a shot. Oh well....I might go all out and build a meiser blank!!!! I am awaiting the Allen III fly reel and I am super stoked to get that reel! Soon I will have a set up and get to cut my teeth! lol

Hey man...that's cause I bought it. lol. Picking it up Saturday along with all his fly tying gear...

Good for you. Nice deal on both the rod and the fly tying gear.

I'm leaning towards the Ross Essence FS and a Ross Flyrise reel. Good reviews and gives me some wiggle room in the budget for an extra spool and some quality line.

Not to hijack this thread at all....but I scored big time on smerch's kijiji link. The Loomis rod he was selling is factory NEW....like 0 use on it. The guy was the coolest person I ever met...There was probably $1000 worth of fly material, vises, tools, fly lines and you name he had it. The guy, wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it more than making any money off it...Guys, I a big guy and I my eyes where watering with appreciation. He had a ton of calls and emails on the stuff....I never questioned him from the get go I told him I would buy it. He had guys asking the length, if there was something wrong with it...he told me this. I walked out of there with a pile of stuff...and a brand new rod.

I'm going to hijack this thread back.

Stopped by Grindstone yesterday on my way home from TO. John set me up with a 9'6" 9WT GLoomis IMX for $150 which we paired a Greys GX300 reel to. John had at least 3 used rods that could have fit into my budge, from GLoomis and Sage, and when we compared the feel of the rods to a Ross rod that he had in stock you could definitely tell the difference in quality. Can't wait to try out this rod on the weekend.

I'm going to hijack this thread back.

Stopped by Grindstone yesterday on my way home from TO. John set me up with a 9'6" 9WT GLoomis IMX for $150 which we paired a Greys GX300 reel to. John had at least 3 used rods that could have fit into my budge, from GLoomis and Sage, and when we compared the feel of the rods to a Ross rod that he had in stock you could definitely tell the difference in quality. Can't wait to try out this rod on the weekend.

Yeh...sorry about that Tom...we did hijack your thread. Glad you found yourself a nice rod and reel and at a decent price as well. Did youu get the lines and all for it as well? These fly lines are so expensive...and with spey rods even more. Being new to it myself it wasike first you need backing...thats cheap....but then its running line $50, then skagit head $60, then your gonna need a set of sink tips...another $160.00 for those lol. Then to put it on another rod....no can do...lol. Im sure single hand is cheaper though? Good luck with your new rod and reel...im sure enjoying it. Dont even care if i catch fish....just casting is fun.

Single hand still adds up. But in my experience it pays off. I used cheap line for my first couple years of casting. I found a deal on some quality line, and took someone's advice to jump up a line weight (rod is very stiff). The difference in loading and shooting was unbelievable. So much easier. And a good line should last for years with proper care.

I ended up going with an 8WFF Rio Steelhead line, it should load up the rod well and allows me to fish a sink tip or heavy fly without overloading the rod. I plan on eventually getting a second spool and outfitting it with a Pike/Bass line for casting large poppers/divers and pike flies.

I too buy used and scored a great deal on the spey clave web site. I scored an echo solo spey rod 13ft 8 weight and an echo spey reel in 10/11 weight loaded with backing...running line and skagit shooting head for a song...Its being shipped as we text lol! It will be a great set up for starters. The deals can be had...just a little patience and they will be there.

RB

Archived