Some Recent Homemades For Fall Pike

rile

Im getting excited now that the big pike seem to be getting active, I think the water temps still need to drop a little before they start hiting the bigger baits but ive got a few smaller ones on my baits so far and lots of followers. Here are I few ive made up that im sure will get bit, the polka dot one already has a few battle scars. The gliders are maple, ive been making them for a while, but im most excited about the minnow baits, they are 6" long out of cedar and have a real wide wobble and a slow rise, should be great for twitching! I also made a jake stye bait 9" long with an aluminum lip I plan to troll later in the year, enjoy!

DSCF1427_zpsd77b44c7.jpg

DSCF1441_zpsc929d579.jpg

DSCF1439_zpse9ccaf95.jpg

DSCF1453_zps5adeeabd.jpg

DSCF1447_zps284306c9.jpg

DSCF1444_zpse9af3883.jpg

DSCF1419_zps9529c11d.jpg

Hey rile .....good stuff ! They look real good for those nasty critters . Those pictures you posted a while back of your pike proves they really work well . Have you made any jointed ones ? I like using a J13 Rapala for them , even with a steel leader the action is good .

Hey rile .....good stuff ! They look real good for those nasty critters . Those pictures you posted a while back of your pike proves they really work well . Have you made any jointed ones ? I like using a J13 Rapala for them , even with a steel leader the action is good .

Yes, I have made some, and plan to make a jointed version of the minnowbait pictured but I have always had better luck on straight baits

The pattern and finish on that jake style lure is amazing! Get some start to finish shots next time you get a chance...are those just eyelet screws that hold the hooks. Incredible work!

Thanks, sure, ill do a step by step next time a make a batch if enough people are interested. They are screw eyes specifically made for lure making, .092 stainless with 2" of thread into the wood. I epoxy them in aswell, They will never pull out especially in maple, a hook will straighten or a rod will snap before they do. The split rings i use are triple wound and rated at 260lbs for the smaller ones and i believe 360lbs for the largers lures. I also seal the baits with a coat of thinned epoxy which soaks in and strengthens the wood.

nice..those look identical too jakes.....some nice hardware on them aswell...i wouldn't worry about the screw eyes pulling out as much as i would worry about them twisting out....epoxyed or not...big muskie and pike will destroy the toughest baits,especially when the pike go into the death roll...LOL.....have you ever thought of T'ing your trebles?

Archived