Erie Perch

captnn

Lundtastic, on 27 Sept 2013 - 7:12 PM, said:

I can wait for the jumbos, the smaller perch taste better in my opinion.

i find for cleaning and eating the best perch are the ones around 10"-11" and at least this time of year their bellies arent all stretched out with eggs

Gulp Alive 2.5" Minnows in Emerald Shiner work pretty good in a pinch as well as good old dew worms

You might get a couple with worms, Minnows are the way to go. Cutting up a big minnow and using the pieces was working also.

Was out today as well. Out with the pack, 4 miles out of PC, 65 FOW. Bite started slow but was non-stop around noon until we basically ran out of minnows and got our limit. Only bad part of the day was losing my Navionics C-6 chip, I believe somewhere around the Sugarloaf ramp....if anyone comes across it or hears of someone who does, would appreciate letting me know. I think it possibly fell out of my pocket when I was pulling out my keys.

If your low on emeralds or run out, small jigging rapala's are my next go to bait, fished vertically like your ice fishing always put a few extra perchies in the boat. They don't need alot of action either a slow lift drop method seems to work best for me, perch, pearl with the chartreuse dot, silver all seem to work good. They also work good in deep water with a fairly quick drop rate.

She was flat calm tonight...

Won't be saying that to morrow

Do fishermen use two lines each when perching L.Erie , or L.Ont . ?

Dude ....great idea on the Rap. ice jigs !

You can use 2 rods when its slow but when they are hitting one is all you can handle.

Thanks for confirming the use of 2 rods captnn . I am totally against that , except for trolling for salmon (trout) in L.Ontario . I never thought about using 2 rods for perch (or bass) in either lakes........Legally , 3 guys in a boat with 2 rods each could have 4 hooks on each rod (8 minnows or a combo of baits each) . With all the modern technology used to catch fish I find it a little over the top . I have seen carpers using 2 rods and watched one rod heading for the drink while the guys was fighting a fish ......Now , ice fishing is a different story ....... :):Gonefishing: ......

Thanks for confirming the use of 2 rods captnn . I am totally against that , except for trolling for salmon (trout) in L.Ontario . I never thought about using 2 rods for perch (or bass) in either lakes........Legally , 3 guys in a boat with 2 rods each could have 4 hooks on each rod (8 minnows or a combo of baits each) . With all the modern technology used to catch fish I find it a little over the top . I have seen carpers using 2 rods and watched one rod heading for the drink while the guys was fighting a fish ......Now , ice fishing is a different story ....... :):Gonefishing: ......

Who cares????, 50 perch is 50 perch weather you use 2 rods or 1, like captain says there is little advantage using 2 rods for perch if your catching. What about the Walleye fishers on Lake Erie should they be only allowed 1 rod, why should ice fishers be able to use 2 rods?????? , why is ice fishing a different story, there is no modern technology for ice fishing, come on everybody and there uncle is out there now with flashers, gps, modern style augers, freaking atv's, smart phones with navonics apps. You would love NYS regs they allow 3 rods hahahaha

morning yesterday was rough, tried fishing the mouth or the river to Waverly shole and wow rough ride for sure, didn't get anything, couple others out there got skunked, outta 4 boats one bass only. I was hoping to get out on Saturday but Hockey season is here and dad duties take priority, however I did hear last night she flattened out! And as usual the bite was on!

Archived