Looking For Perch Fishing Advise...?

canadianfcat

So my buddy and me are heading out of Port this weekend in hope of catching some perch.

I'll be using worm as bait...Any advise or technics?

how for out should we go?

Forget the worms and use minnows. Straight out to 63'

Forget the worms and use minnows. Straight out to 63'

Buy a pickerel rig or two and some live minnows. Head out at 11 oclock (direction) slow down at 61ft and start moving out at 5mph to find the school. Been catching them at 63, dont get sucked into going with the pack. If you do join in with the pack select an open area between boats. Mark large clumps of fish that hover close to the bottom. Get your double hooked pick rig with double hooked minnows. When the lead hits the bottom, tighten that line fast. The perch are hungry and are lightening quick. If you dont notice the first couple nibbles.....your minnows are gone.

No worms? Why not? I guess they don't work.

I personally like a two hook drop shot rig. Way easier than messing with a pick rig. My suggestion to you is to use a small barrel swivel, as small as you can find, and tie a leader to it. You can then pre tie two hook rigs. This way you can tie up quicker if you have to cut a line for deep hooked fish.

If you get on a school, try plastic minnow imitations like a Jackall Crosstail or a Gulp! Alive 2.5" Emerald Shiner Minnow...have fun and experiment.

Good Luck!

Please refrain from derogatory remarks and obscene use of language, be it with or without correct spelling. Conversation is fine...the rest is not acceptable.

No worms? Why not? I guess they don't work.

I personally like a two hook drop shot rig. Way easier than messing with a pick rig. My suggestion to you is to use a small barrel swivel, as small as you can find, and tie a leader to it. You can then pre tie two hook rigs. This way you can tie up quicker if you have to cut a line for deep hooked fish.

If you get on a school, try plastic minnow imitations like a Jackall Crosstail or a Gulp! Alive 2.5" Emerald Shiner Minnow...have fun and experiment.

Good Luck!

Not saying worms won't work. Just saying what works better. Try worms and let us know how you make out.

As kids all we used for perch was worms .....at Port Dalhousie , Nickle Beach from a boat, spots from L.Ont. shoreline etc . When we fish for perch at Quinte , we use both worm harnesses & drop shot rigs and do very well . But Erie is different now , minnows are thick everywhere between the lakes and that's what their main diet is ....Who knows , they might slam pieces of shrimp !

One concern ......at 63 ' can perch be released to see another day ?

I'd never limit out..Couldn't stand to clean them all!

A nice dozen for the family as a meal would be good though.

or for your neighbour

perch from deep water can be released successfully. if you realize right away that you have a small fish on the line just reel up slower than normal. and if the air bag is still in their mouth just lightly pierce it with your hook without getting the barb in there and they will swim right back down

hahah, how about i just fill the livewell of the boat in the driveway and you toss them in there...seems less messy

perch from deep water can be released successfully. if you realize right away that you have a small fish on the line just reel up slower than normal. and if the air bag is still in their mouth just lightly pierce it with your hook without getting the barb in there and they will swim right back down

Fish brought up from deep depths are usually bleeding inside as their innards are ruptured. Very few will make it. You don't see them floating as their bladders are empty from being punctured. Most die and lay on the bottom.

Just checked my lawn I mowed yesterday and saw lots of worms .....good night to get some before the cold temps set in . I haven't fished for a while , been doing some body work/painting to the old van . Think I'll take some time off the job and swing by Port Dal . tomorrow & wet a line . ....will try a few worms to see if I can keep them away from the gobies ! :Gonefishing:

little update ......just picked about 75-80 dew worms . They really fattened up this past month ! Tons of slugs all over the grass ....too bad they don't make good bait !

Archived