The Ultimate Fly Tying Thread...

CCfly

Nice fly Josh, yours too CC. Watched Rob Clarke tie up some nice synthetics, huge ones for Muskie and Pike, but also had Bass take them down.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done man!!

Thread hasn't died out...i just wanted to see who else would post anything up, or whether we were just going to continue to put up the result of years of skill and expertise to be exploited by "visitors"...

Anyway...it is a barometer of the number of people dedicated to this finer side of angling...a shrinking number...BUT...THE RIGHTEOUS

:thx:

Ok, its a hot mess, but its better than the nothing I have been tying for the last while. It's bright, and hopefully catches they eye of a steelhead as it swings by. Now to see if I can make one that looks decent....

785C91A9-56A9-4B3E-B89F-CAA4AF0AC165.jpg

EA24EA01-08F1-4D03-9508-C4AD2F55B807.jpg

Those are nice Tom. You might want to concider tying them on shanks with a trailer hook extended back near the tail for short bites.

I picked up some tube materials I want to try this on, but the last vice adapter in the store had a stripped screw and I can't find a decent needle to fit the tubing.

What do you suggest for a sparser tie? Eliminate the hair & hackle wings and put a bit of Flashabou up top? I'm fishing the lower grand primarily, so I figured having a bit of bulk might give the fly more of a presence in the murk.

What hes saying Tom is they look good, like you i also tend to use too much material. Bulk can be maintained just use a little less of each material. With a bulky fly like those you may miss the hookset because of the thickness and the amount of material extending past the hook. I tried the tubes myself and im not a big fan of them. I prefer the shanks and use intruder wire or fireline crystal to tie on a trailer hook. Watch a youtube video of tying an intruder...so you can see how the trailer hook is tied on if your not familiar. Intruders are an example of a fly tied sparse but appears larger and lively in the water. Hobo speys are another good example. I also have the tendancy to bulk to much as well...then when im done i feel like taking it apart. Lol. CC tyes some great flies...take a look how sparse his are in comparison of the hook size.

You're a good man CCfly. Now I just need to find another free night...

Don't let it get around...stop by OFF they'll tell you otherwise... :blahblah1:

I'm up to my eyes with a bunch of NA fly swap obligations...best I can tell you for the moment is tie slowly, it's something I've had to remind myself of frequently....

Tom...see what I can do about posting up an SBS for swing things...

With pictures of course...lol. I tend to do better seeing ....lol. Good point Brian about stripping one side of the feather...I have found that buying the select grade makes a way better fly then the mashed up bags of crap product. I have 3 bags of Mallard flank thats probably only good enough to stuff a pillow with...lol.