Carping Jordan

smerchly

I got the carp urge this morning ....last minute decision to try out my can of Jolly Green Giant corn ! Not much gear necessary , a few hair rigs , slip sinkers & a big net . The first hour was a bust , just a few nibbles ...tons of nice bait fish breaking water & the terns were dive bombing them relentlessly . I moved to my old July spot & it took another hour to finally hook one . It was only 6.6.lbs but it fought like a 20 lb. carp ! It took many very fast runs & I thought I hooked a large carp .....After landing it I saw the hook under the mouth about 1" back ....may be why it fought like a trouper . One fish only , but well worth the effort !

SAM_4906.JPG

Up by the bridge the garbage keeps piling up ......some has been burned , including the big log I used to perch my rod ......

SAM_4907.JPG

This is what galls me the most ......FISHING LINE ......this big ball of 300 lb. test line contained 2 large hooks and one harpoon !

They could easily take this back home or just burn it .....so many pigs among us ....

SAM_4909.JPG

I started to fish at 9:30 near the bridge , then moved about 10:30 till noon further down the bank in shallower water . With all the bait fish breaking water it might pay to fish with lures ....saw a few big swirls in 4 feet of water .

Thanks Mike .....it was a tough little carp with lots of zip for it's size . I will wait until the water cools off for the late summer/fall carp fishing . I have been exploring the www & want to try some flattened out white bread that is punched out and threaded on the hair ....looks like a good bait . I made my own punch from a plastic tube . I like experimenting with my own ideas like using elastic & string on the hair ....no knots or loops at all ....just push the mono through the corn ....stays put until the fish bite . I used the string this time & it worked great for a stopper ! I also want to take an extra can of creamed corn , just for chum . I believe the creamy juice will attract the carp better than plain corn . ....always thinking outside the tackle box ! :Gonefishing:

• 1 month later...

I will be fishing at Jordan Harbour tomorrow morning for carp. Got all my rigs set up and 2 cans of corn ready to go. Will be parking at the conservation area where the rowboats are. Walking over to the rocks and placing my bait near the mouth where it opens to lake Ontario. Hopefully I can present bait in a shallow rocky area and a deeper grassy area. Always do two rods :)

I have always used two even three rods, I am surprised I have not been approached yet if what saying is correct. I always see people using multiple rods. I go by example, maybe I should brush up on my regulations!

I ended up catching a magnificent 17lb carp today, ate the corn quick. First hair rig worked like a charm, glad I tried it. I would post a picture but it never works for me on here.

The harbour is producing, I seen again a couple salmon coasting the shoreline and fish jumping constantly.

That's good to know.

I am still having trouble finding such regulations on the net. I cannot find specifics like rod amount.. or if my hooks should be barbless?
anyone know?

That's good to know.

I am still having trouble finding such regulations on the net. I cannot find specifics like rod amount.. or if my hooks should be barbless?

anyone know?

The regulations are poorly written, after choking the internet of everything I could I found everything I was looking for and I am so surprised!

When I bought my licence and renewed it over and over the clerk never told me about regulations and such. I assumed if you were throwing everything back you could just go and enjoy yourself...
One line could mean I can have two or three set up with one bait in the water and the rest ready to go if I bring one in ;) possibly discovered something?

I am still looking for the exact paperwork that mentions Jordan Harbour and it being a no fish zone after a certain date.

I am still looking for the exact paperwork that mentions Jordan Harbour and it being a no fish zone after a certain date.

Already contacted the MNR last week about this. I posted the response in another thread where people were curious as to whether it was a no fish area , sanctuary or anything of the sort. The answer is : it's open to fish all year. It's just certain species you cannot target at certain times (Salmon, trout and bass)

The regulations are poorly written, after choking the internet of everything I could I found everything I was looking for and I am so surprised!

When I bought my licence and renewed it over and over the clerk never told me about regulations and such. I assumed if you were throwing everything back you could just go and enjoy yourself...

One line could mean I can have two or three set up with one bait in the water and the rest ready to go if I bring one in ;) possibly discovered something?

you can carry an unlimited number of rods but only 1 line can be in the water. So you could have a rod rigged for bass one for muskie and one for carp but only one can be getting used at a time.

it is worthwhile to give the regulations a good read since ignorance or I DONT KNOW wont get you out of a fine.

Also check them annually as they can change from year to year.

If you are fishing at Jordan on the lake side from a boat , two anglers can run 4 rods with 2 lures on each rods (cheaters) . That's 8 lures for 2 anglers .....seems a little advantageous compared to a guy fishing from shore with one rod allowed. It would be nice to be able to fish for carp & use another rod and float fish for pannies etc.......but if fishing solo, you could be fighting a carp when a fish hits the other rod ......that could either get you into a big tangled mess or going home minus one rod ! :o:Gonefishing:

Another good reason for the one rod rule is that it discourages people from monopolizing entire banks with several rods. Think how crowded it can get in some spots now,can you imagine if people with little to no angling etiquette were given the legal right to fish with 2 or 3 rods? I'm glad we are limited to one line.

Another good reason for the one rod rule is that it discourages people from monopolizing entire banks with several rods. Think how crowded it can get in some spots now,can you imagine if people with little to no angling etiquette were given the legal right to fish with 2 or 3 rods? I'm glad we are limited to one line.

I think the reason for on shore rod is that if a fish hits while fighting another fish it gives the fish longer to get gut hooked which can result in a dead fish. That's my understanding

Good points ! Debating issues always brings forth more logic to why there are regs . to follow .

• 1 month later...

That garbage is terrible, let me know if there is ever a day planned where we get together and drive to our favourite spots for garbage pick up day - a good way to share spots, meet others and rebuild community relations. Just my thoughts...

Archived