Harvest Time

bigugli

This kinda goes hand in hand with all the canning I do in preparation for winter. I am fortunate in being allowed all the space I could possibly want for planting my garden at my buddy's farm. It's time to go all out with picking 3 days a week.

Bell peppers

DSCN4428_zps5eed7fd2.jpg

Heirloom tomatoes

DSCN4427_zpsd5bec26b.jpg

The Bigugli Canning Company....You name it we'll can it!

Growing up my mother canned everything...half the basement was shelves full of yummy goodies we ate yearlong until next season. She used recipes from my great grandmother. Nine different types of pickles, mustard beans, corn relish, pickled beets, jams and canned fruit of every type, tomato soup, green tomato mincemeat for pies, the list goes on. She canned a fried green pepper/hot pepper/onion mixture that tastes sweet and hot and is great on sandwiches, hamburgers or hot dogs. I still wait every year for the annual raid off the basement shelves.

Wow good looking peppers they look better then what's in the store

what kind of tomato are the that look kind of green we have the same tomato plants

but not sure what they are are they roman tomatos and are they just used for canning?

Wow good looking peppers they look better then what's in the store

what kind of tomato are the that look kind of green we have the same tomato plants

but not sure what they are are they roman tomatos and are they just used for canning?

I have 6 varieties of bell pepper. Almost all are heirloom varieties. Tomorrow will be a heavy pick of hot peppers.

The heirloom tomatoes are varieties of Plum tomato. Five varieties that make a great salad mix. The greenish/not ripe ones are a Siberian black plum. Not the largest plum tomato by any stretch, but by far the tastiest and meatiest sauce tomato you can find.

Growing up my mother canned everything...half the basement was shelves full of yummy goodies we ate yearlong until next season. She used recipes from my great grandmother. Nine different types of pickles, mustard beans, corn relish, pickled beets, jams and canned fruit of every type, tomato soup, green tomato mincemeat for pies, the list goes on. She canned a fried green pepper/hot pepper/onion mixture that tastes sweet and hot and is great on sandwiches, hamburgers or hot dogs. I still wait every year for the annual raid off the basement shelves.

I keep a traditional kitchen. Canning, drying, bread making, are all things that have its origins in my upbringing. They also make it possible for people of limited means to live well. I hope some of this eventually rubs off on my own children some day. The more self sufficient the next generation becomes, the better off they will be.

They are still picking strawberries Bruce ! There is a strawberry patch near the conservation park at Jordan & at least 25 Asian workers picking or doing something in the rows of berries that are under dark plastic to hold the heat longer . I don't know where they market these "ever bearing" berries but there are lots of red berries & blossoms on the plants ........

• 1 month later...

Finally down to the last batch of canning. Sorry i have not put up more. Computer fried, and the loaner is to old for my photo programs.

My last pick of hot peppers, before the freeze was 2 1/2 bushels of habaneros. I think i still have about 2 bushels in the cooler. They made a wicked hot sauce.

Anyhow, the last batch is also my favourite. I'll spend the next 2 days brewing up a batch of elderberry brandy. Just finished stripping the frozen berries from their stems and now they will slowly thaw and cook down to a fairly rich juice. After that there's 2 hours of mashing and 4 hours of straining out all the pulp and seed. From that stage one makes a thick syrup and then infuse with alcohol, then boil together, then bottle. At that point, I can finally drain the last bottle from last year's batch.

Deadly hooch Bruce ! :blink: Better than any sleeping pill ! We made blackberry jelly and used a 2' x 2' piece of fiber window screen to wring the juice from the berries , leaving only the small seeds ....worked very well and was fast and efficient . I made strawberry wine last year and the wimmins love it ! :D

Man, how I miss those days. I was raised by my grand parents, and our basement was identical to yours. Mincemeat was awesome, as was pickled green tomatoes and chilli. that's when I used to eat real food. Sure miss the preserves days....

Man, how I miss those days. I was raised by my grand parents, and our basement was identical to yours. Mincemeat was awesome, as was pickled green tomatoes and chilli. that's when I used to eat real food. Sure miss the preserves days....

It really isn't that difficult to do. Just follow through the process without shortcuts, in time tinker with the recipes til you get the flavour you want. If one batch isn't right, don't get bummed out. Learn from the mistake. One year my mother made fermenting pickles in the big 2 gallon bottles. Couple of weeks later, in the middle of the night, the bottles start exploding. What a mess. Or the new recipe we tried a couple of years back, that gave us dill pickles that tasted like a salt lick. Jams that don't set the first time just need to be processed a second time with additional pectin. Everyone gets the odd jar that fails to seal/pops up after processing and cooling. Be safe and throw it out.

Archived