Bass Pro Shop. (Please Support Your Local Tackle Shop)

perkins

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on getting a job there Jordan ....you will be a great asset to this store . I'm certainly not against having a new outdoor store in the area as it brings in new jobs & will have the spin off effect to bring outside money into Niagara where we need a good boost . I would rather have a sales job there than at Walmart for sure . You are lucky to be surrounded with outdoor merchandise and learn a lot about the products that all of us have a great interest in.

Big box or mom and pop, shop where you get the best service. I found the guys behind the gun counter in the Vaughan BP were rude and showed poor customer service skills when I was shopping for my first gun. I found the gentleman at Fishing World to be courteous and very knowledgeable. Take a guess who I purchased from. I went into a small gun shop two weeks ago that's located next to a great shooting range but was so offended by racist remarks from the staff that I will not buy anything from them any more. People in this thread made great arguments for both sides of the discussion but I don't look at the size of the store as a real factor. I think people eventually stick with the place they feel welcome. Sure bass pro is a great place to browse around and waste an afternoon, but I get sticker shock there and usually walk out with a few hooks and not much else.

I had a very positive experience at Fishing World a few years back. A co-worker of mine at the time was a single mom. She wanted to get her son some fishing tackle for Christmas. I took her there, and as we were browsing, an employee approached and offered his help. As soon as he learned what we were doing, he threw himself into the effort 110%. We left there with probably about $300.00 worth of stuff at a very healthy discount. This guy rummaged through the bargain bins and kept pulling stuff and adding it to the pile until I was sure we'd go broke, and I'm sure he didn't ring everything through, but it sure made a kid's Christmas.

On another note, Fishing World is where I go for my fly-tying materials, but the selection is shrinking every time I'm in. Hope I don't have to start going elsewhere.

Big box or mom and pop, shop where you get the best service. I found the guys behind the gun counter in the Vaughan BP were rude and showed poor customer service skills when I was shopping for my first gun. I found the gentleman at Fishing World to be courteous and very knowledgeable. Take a guess who I purchased from. I went into a small gun shop two weeks ago that's located next to a great shooting range but was so offended by racist remarks from the staff that I will not buy anything from them any more. People in this thread made great arguments for both sides of the discussion but I don't look at the size of the store as a real factor. I think people eventually stick with the place they feel welcome. Sure bass pro is a great place to browse around and waste an afternoon, but I get sticker shock there and usually walk out with a few hooks and not much else.

"I don't look at the size of the store as a real factor."..........Good point ....The costs of merchandise can be related to the costs to run a store . BPS will have many employees to pay , plus all the other costs from rent (taxes) heat , hydro etc . They can buy in much larger quantities and also have more money tied up . The small shops have their basic customers who will keep their loyalty to them . In both cases , large or small , the economy will be a factor on how much we spend on our pleasures . :Gonefishing:

I had a very positive experience at Fishing World a few years back. A co-worker of mine at the time was a single mom. She wanted to get her son some fishing tackle for Christmas. I took her there, and as we were browsing, an employee approached and offered his help. As soon as he learned what we were doing, he threw himself into the effort 110%. We left there with probably about $300.00 worth of stuff at a very healthy discount. This guy rummaged through the bargain bins and kept pulling stuff and adding it to the pile until I was sure we'd go broke, and I'm sure he didn't ring everything through, but it sure made a kid's Christmas.

On another note, Fishing World is where I go for my fly-tying materials, but the selection is shrinking every time I'm in. Hope I don't have to start going elsewhere.

I like Fishing World too. When I started to get into carp fishing a few years ago,I went there and they set me up with a good rod,some set-up advice and even some spots to try. It seems like the staff are serious fishermen and are willing to go the extra mile. With that said, I have no problem with BP and will check out the NOTL store when it opens. There is a serious lack of full time(or any time) jobs in Niagara and any employer that sets up shop here is most welcome.

I surprise this thread is goon on i post a thing about safe ice two comments and it gets shut down for arguing yet there's four pages of non sense here my opinion if u make the money by working it your right to spend it where ever u like just my thoughts

I surprise this thread is goon on i post a thing about safe ice two comments and it gets shut down for arguing yet there's four pages of non sense here my opinion if u make the money by working it your right to spend it where ever u like just my thoughts

I really really think all the local shops do a good job around here and will continue to support them. However, a big building with all kinds of fishing and outdoor supplies under one roof is every fisherman's dream whether they are willing to admit it or not I can guarantee even the haters of BPS will end up going at some point or another....I think the whole idea is amazing and every time I have gone to BPS, I have had a fun day out....I do feel bad for the local shops but I also think with the amount of people coming for BPS if the local shops take advantage and do a little smart marketing, they could potentially see better revenues than they have in the past.

Every girl wants the bass pro shop hat , then they want to fish, then of course you need to by the fishing rod for them and you want to do it legally so you grab your license too. It's big its elaborate its a marketing genius bps, they make fishing more than an old worm on a hook with your uncle. They make fishing sexy an appealing to a younger generation and break down gender barriers to entry. Pink tackle boxes and rods and all the equipment that comes with it. As a student money is tight and bps can make that limited flow go a lot further. With the internet I have a handful of reviews and I know what I want before I walk into any store. Plain and simple bps makes fishing sexy , I can get my girlfriend or daughter into fishing and make it appealing to them ..... Being the country girl is in and bps has the correct formula. YouTube is our generations info, previously to enter the sport you needed an uncle or fAther that got you in. I quote Bob Dylan , the times are changing. Shop at bps if you want good prices and a wide selection , do your research for yourself.

Every girl wants the bass pro shop hat , then they want to fish, then of course you need to by the fishing rod for them and you want to do it legally so you grab your license too. It's big its elaborate its a marketing genius bps, they make fishing more than an old worm on a hook with your uncle. They make fishing sexy an appealing to a younger generation and break down gender barriers to entry. Pink tackle boxes and rods and all the equipment that comes with it. As a student money is tight and bps can make that limited flow go a lot further. With the internet I have a handful of reviews and I know what I want before I walk into any store. Plain and simple bps makes fishing sexy , I can get my girlfriend or daughter into fishing and make it appealing to them ..... Being the country girl is in and bps has the correct formula. YouTube is our generations info, previously to enter the sport you needed an uncle or fAther that got you in. I quote Bob Dylan , the times are changing. Shop at bps if you want good prices and a wide selection , do your research for yourself.

I agree with that as I have a daughter...they tend to cater to kids a lot with special events and my now 8 yr old has a great time whenever she goes. Yes, she too has a pink rod, tackle box, lures, and pink fishing clothes but not from BPS. I thank fishergirl more than BPS for the pink stuff....I thank BPS for carrying more of it and keeping a smile on her face when she decides to go to BPS with me.

Considering the economy of Ontario is "supposed" to be bad , & we are a "have not" province since losing our basic manufacturing industry , I thought BPS would not do well in Niagara . They have invested millions of dollars & have a large staff to pay , plus all the other bills & taxes etc. I think our economy is doing just fine and sales at both BPS & local shops will flourish . We are still building new subdivisions , malls and more Walmart type big box stores , plus new arenas , arts building , new bridges .....and rebuilding Port Dalhousie :D All is well in Ontariario :Gonefishing:

Can't wait for BPS to open. Love the Vaughan store. The world will go on and properly run small businesses will continue to thrive. From what I've seen Peter's tackle could use a kick in the butt. Service isn't always that great (maybe because I'm not a regular), the store itself could use some updating and their web site looks like something out of the 1996.

Archived