Should The Welland River Be...

MOE FISHIN

Just for fun...

Last discussion was good. Lets try this: Should the Welland River be declared "exceptional waters?" (Like the Grand River... catch and release, no live bait, single barbless hook etc)

Perhaps a section? Or do you have a different suggestion for exceptional waters in Niagara?

Careful what you wish for. The GRCA is already talking about levying a special license to fish the Grand River watershed. Next thing you know, it will be just like Europe. Every municipality having their own fishing license over and above the provincial license,padding, municipal budgets, and none of them putting that money back into conservation.

That, basically is what happened with the provincial license. The original idea, back in the 80's, was that the license fees would go directly into a conservation fund, in addition to those monies already in the provincial budget. Instead, those fees were used to replace budget funds, and now, they are telling us they want more money, so they will now charge a $2 surtax on every license and tag issued, and expect seniors to also buy a license, Kids will be next.

The exceptional waters were created because that stretch of water is most definitely worth preserving for future generations as it is one of the least 'modified' stretches of water on the Grand and gives a glimpse into what the river used to be. It's got cold-water and warm-water areas, provides spawning grounds for wild steelhead, has untouched forests, and is a uniquely untouched area when you consider its proximity to urban centers. On top of that it brings tourist money into the area, and can actually be monitored and policed due to the limited access points.

The Welland river is really just another warmwater river that sees heavy use by surrounding population. Still worth conserving, but not to the degree that special regulations are needed.

There are already pages of exceptions to the regulations, why start trying to look at each body of water for custom tailored regulations? Give special considerations to the waters that merit it, the regular regulations should suffice to protect everything else.

Bigugli has inside experience with government officials and knows how they operate . They have been nickel & dimeing us with more taxes & "fees" for years . They just upped the retirement age to 67 , giving them 2 more years of getting more income tax , health tax , U.I.tax and pension taxes out of long term workers . Now they want to cancel giving retirees who would like to go fishing & make them buy licenses again . I hope the older folks remember this next election .......If any species of fish are suffering from over fishing , cut the quotas where needed , and enforce it . I think we are doing fine with the present regs.

Bigugli I get a sense you are anti establishment anti the man. Im not knocking you I agree stick it to em.

I'm not really anti anything. I've witnessed some 40+ years of lies and broken promises from governments. Part of that time was spent as a lesser bureaucrat in healthcare. I would not mind paying if they actually used the money as promised. Sadly, time and time again, they have not kept their promises,have not used our money wisely, and changed their tune for the sake of their own political convenience. A lot more pencil pushers, yet fewer and fewer workers in the field. Thus I will not trust any politician or bureaucrat.

Get used to new surtaxes and fees across the province. They got to find some way of paying for the $20 Billion dollar urban transit plan.

I think that idea could more likely be used in preserving 12 mile creek and short hills if/once they get brook trout producing in numbers

I'm not really anti anything. I've witnessed some 40+ years of lies and broken promises from governments. Part of that time was spent as a lesser bureaucrat in healthcare. I would not mind paying if they actually used the money as promised. Sadly, time and time again, they have not kept their promises,have not used our money wisely, and changed their tune for the sake of their own political convenience. A lot more pencil pushers, yet fewer and fewer workers in the field. Thus I will not trust any politician or bureaucrat.

Get used to new surtaxes and fees across the province. They got to find some way of paying for the $20 Billion dollar urban transit plan.

If you would like some insight on how our tax money is spend locally , read this , in today's paper . It must be nice to make over $163,000 per year and getting fat raises while the average folks get no raises on their min. wage pay checks ......read the comments too....

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2014/11/17/senior-staffer-no-longer-with-npca

Ahhh yes. I read that article today.

I have worked at the NPCA in the head office for the last 2 summers ( contract ended Oct 31 ) and I know all to well about everything mentioned in the article. It's a shame really. There are many people who work there who are in the field on an almost daily basis and take pride in their work. It really sucks when people say the NPCA as a whole is corrupt. Yes , parts of the new management are shady , but there are lots of "little people" in that office that truly care and aren't making over 100,000$ a year. (I was one of them haha)

I have fished the exceptional waters and loved it.

I would love something similar here... Lake Gibson as a fish sancuary would be perfect IMHO

Gibson is almost a fish sanctuary now ....most of my carp spots are now posted .

i agree with bigugli i am not into new rules that only honest people follow i love the welland river fished it all my life. i would say there is 10 times the pressure on the river now from 20 years ago .the reasons are mostly positive,favorite species reintroduced, major clean up of river,much better boat access,zebra mussels have improved water clarity, these are all great things to some degree . increased population and tell all internet sites also contributed (please dont attack me about the internet crack its fact and im not pickin a fight lol) anyway back to my point i must admit that i am constantly upset when i fish the river these days due to the constant abuse of the rules that are already inplace between littering ( mostly fishing related :( ) fishing out off season , 2 rods, netting for pike (thats been illegal for years now) destruction of property and nature sad very sad yes i call the tip line everytime and ive even chased a few boys from buffalo away after catching them with two pails full of bass in May . it drives me insame!!! i hope anyone out there with kids out there push them to all become ministry officers. we need them bad lol sorry for rant i just love the river and i hate the abuse that in time costs us all great fishing spots.

I agree that changes need to be made to protect our fish and waters but I disagree with placing special fees on specific waters. We all contribute to the management of the natural resources through our tax dollar, and therefore everyone should have fair access to enjoy them. Putting special user fees on public waters will not decrease the amount of fishing pressure. They do this out in BC on trout and salmon streams and now the only people that can fish them are wealthy tourists. The locals now have to go elsewhere to fish and creates overcrowding in non regulated waters.

Archived