Any Electricians In The House?

DaveC

Just curious, what a typical replacement of the plastic conduit from driveway to hydro meter cost. Hit that cheap plastic grey pipe elbow with my snow blower and broke the elbow. Electrical bandits charged me $940.00 and were in and out in 3 hours..all that included was the grey plastic pipe and the elbow and a sleeve into the house. CROOKS !!!

Haha...yeh i feel abused. I called hydro figuring they might fix it. What they did do was drop by 2days later to see if i had been in contact with an electrician. I guess otherwise if not, or i attempted a micky mouse repair they probably have the right to shut my power off if its not safe. I just figured that the bill was way high. I know one contractor who wont ever step foot on my property. Being a mechanic, i think oil changes for electricians and dentists should be about $400 lol.

That's what i am apprenticing in, doing mostly industrial though, hard to tell, if the cable was damaged and had to be replaced as well as the conduit, 3 hours labor for 2 guys @100.00/hr per guy, doesn't seem too far off the mark if that's the case, hard to tell without seeing it.

That's what i am apprenticing in, doing mostly industrial though, hard to tell, if the cable was damaged and had to be replaced as well as the conduit, 3 hours labor for 2 guys @100.00/hr per guy, doesn't seem too far off the mark if that's the case, hard to tell without seeing it.

No man, no cable. the only thing broken was the plastic elbow at the bottom where it goes into the house. Problem is hydro had to remove the meter, the price included a permit @ $124. They broke the meter base bolt doing the job. But once the meter was off just replaced the grey plastic conduit where it elbows into the house up to the meter. They were in and out in 3 hrs job done. The job was well done...no complaints about that. Oh well....paid the bill regardless. I just thought that the $550 labour alone was pretty steep.

Hard to tell without seeing it, alot of companies charge out $100.00 per/hr for a journeyman, that usually takes into account a service vehicle and other expenses, ive only really worked industrial so not too familiar in that area.

Can.Tire charges $100. per h.r labour (tax in) , doing brake jobs , installing tires, oil changes, etc etc ....not exactly the same skill requirements . The mechanic gets about $20 and CT gets the rest . I wonder how much the electricians got paid out of that $940 bill .....

Hard to tell without seeing it, alot of companies charge out $100.00 per/hr for a journeyman, that usually takes into account a service vehicle and other expenses, ive only really worked industrial so not too familiar in that area.

Which is understandable considering all the overhead costs associated with the job. Got to pay for the vehicle, gas, insurance, tools, office, etc; all that on top of wages. But, in most lines of work if you make a mistake that would cause extra expenses to the customer you end up paying for it. If I forget to ship something on an order, I can't change the customer for shipping a second time.

Now, I don't know all the circumstances here. The bolt may have been damaged, or old, or whatnot. But if it was ham-fistedness that broke it I would be calling back the company.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck that is nothing but hwy robbery, my dad is a retired one and we wired my hot tub at home.... Electrical place I use for work recommended what they call Tech cable.... It's cable in a heavy conduit wrapped with a heavy rubber coating... You run it from the panel or your power source to the required unit and bury it roughly 12-24" under ground..... Cost me under $300 for 100'..... Very flex able,easy to run and hard to rupture, not to mention it's not plastic or PVC and won't break in this cold weather............... But yea sorry to say they may have picked your pocket......

Archived