Maize ,prep.& Storing ..

smerchly

I have a big bag of maize , got at Minor's ....55lbs ! I wanted to know how to store/preserve both the raw corn & cooked corn . I flavoured it with concentrated pineapple scent (makes the house smell great) ! I fill a Folgers coffee container (925 gms) & dump that into a large stainless pot , add hot tap water with about 2" of water over the corn & soak for about 18-24 hrs. ...checking to make sure the corn is still covered with water after 12 hrs. & add more if needed.....then it simmered it on the stove for about 30 min,. & scent added ,& left there to cool down overnight . It will triple the original volume & I have 10 packs in the freezer to use as chum & on the hair . I found some good info on this site .....easy to follow and it's a cheap bait for carp . Scents can be bought at local tackle shops as well as other carp gear . That corn (pineapple ) sure smells good ......how can they resist ? Later in the season I will use the puff corn /oats/ hemp -capsaicin or other flavours.....and of course the Jolly Green Giant corn works also ....

http://texaseliteangler.com/2014/01/11/what-bait-do-you-use-to-catch-carp-flavored-maize/

dry corn i keep outside in a metal garbage can year round. after i boil the corn boils i keep it in the pot i boiled it in if you keep the corn covered with water it wont rot but it ferments and the carp dont seem to mind,

I don't think I want to use the nasty stuff ....One whiff and the fish will be getting some "natural" chum ! lol They sure liked the pineapple/maize delight I used today ....went 10 / 12 on it , some taking it as soon as it hit bottom ! :Gonefishing:

10/12...10/12 yeah right.... :tease:

Ok, ok, I was schooled by the master :worthy:

Must of been your lucky hat :unsure:

Joe and I are going to Gibson to try our luck B)

:Gonefishing:

10/12...10/12 yeah right.... :tease:

Ok, ok, I was schooled by the master :worthy:

Must of been your lucky hat :unsure:

Joe and I are going to Gibson to try our luck B)

:Gonefishing:

Well Grasshopper ......my hat is the real thing (Tilley) , and I noticed you caught your first carp AFTER you ate the banana ....and I have finally perfected the Smerch Hair Rig using the "string stopper" . .....caught 3 fish on the same 2 pieces of maize without losing it during the battle of the minds ...... :crazy:

Mike ....I was thinking ...maybe try pineapple chunks right out of the can ..... B)

Speaking of bananas ........

1297711806755_ORIGINAL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Mayswell (is that a word ?) post about this bait here ......I have noticed some guys using plastic corn that floats and added to their hair rigs for added floatation . It comes in different colours and is the size of large maize corn . I have to question the use of this corn .... it is bad for fish or other wildlife to consume ? .......I know that soft plastics kill fish after being lodged in the intestines...... :dunno:

Now that you mentioned it, Smerch, I've never actually though about that.

I'm gonna guess that because the Brits use it, it must be ok because they're very protective of their carp over there. My guess is that, used on a hairrig, it would seldom get digested. I've pretty much always got my plastic kernels back after unhooking the fish.

Now for other wildlife, I don't know.

Yes Mike I think your right .... I have lots of white small styrofoam balls of different sizes that could be used to keep the corn off the bottom , or use puff corn with can corn to do it....(popcorn floats as well) . Twisters and tubes may be more harmful for fish than a single piece of plastic corn ......If we are going to release fish , we should choose our baits well .

Archived