Apple Thief Caught Red " Handed "

smerchly

Now I have a new customer who likes my big juicy red delicious apples ......He (she) has joined the rest of the neighbourhood critters ( birds , squirrels , rabbits & possums) that have been seen raiding the apple tree .

Earlier this season , it was moles & a rat that were dining on the ground falls .....but they have met their maker due to some tasty "additives" to the yard menu ! -_-

So far .....no black & white kitties have taken interest in my tasty delights ...... :skunk: .....they're one of my best fishing partners lately :rolleyes: .......

....this little guy /girl is just a young coon and I am going to try to trap it tonight ....got the trap set with some shrimp and an old frozen-too-long perch fillet . The neighbourhood dogs will kill it or it will become road kill with all the heavy traffic on my street . If I can catch it , I will take it to the Short Hills area to the creek there . I hope it can make it on it's own through the winter months ahead . There is probably more near my back yard ,so I'll keep the trap baited for a while .

SAM_6493.JPG

No worries smerch he /she will be fine over the winter that is a great pic of the coon looks very healthy must be all them fine apples

he has been steeling lol i wish i had a cam like yours man it takes good pics .Your new business Smerchly's critter catching they will keep you going :P

This apple tree is over 40 years old & has produced tons of apples . It's over 30' tall and I never spray it with anything . So far I have collected about 12 bushels of apples that are very sweet and juicy ......some had a worm living in the core but have since vacated . We make apple sauce , strudels ,& pies and I have given away bushels to neighbours & friends for eating and many bushes for deer feed . The down side is many hours spent collecting them and disposing the split/rotted ones in the green bin .....the garbage guys can hardly lift the bin !

Gunner ...my camera is just a pocket camera ....Samsung WB700 ....14.2 MP ....18X optical zoom ....double image stabilizer .....dropped it in the lake once , lucky it still works !

"Smerchos Critter Catching Co. INC"......sounds like a plan ....... :crazy:

......checked the trap ....notta .......checked the tree ....no coon ......left the scene just after dark ..... :huh:

any coons yet?

any coons yet?

Nada ! I'm sure there's more than one ....possibly a couple of young and a mother coon . I guess it didn't see or like the fish'n shrimp dinner I prepared for them .....or maybe they like the apples more .

• 2 weeks later...

Well , the coons have re-appeared a few times ....dog goes bananas when he sees/smells them after dark . The apples are just about done after at least 20 bushels have fallen (some hand picked) . This warm spell has brought forth an army of lady bugs , they like the sweet juice of the apples . I'm not sure why they vary in colour , think they are the Asian lady bugs . If they are harmful to the environment I can kill them all quickly with dish soap & water mix that I use to kill hundreds of yellow jackets that dine on the apples .

SAM_6566.JPG

...the teeth marks on some apples are squirrels......

The high winds have finally brought down the apples . This mild spell has enticed the yellow jackets & lady bugs to gorge on the sweet apple nectar . I took a close look at the lady bugs and can say they are ALL females . I have left a dozen half eaten apples for them to get their fill before the colder temps arrive . The Asian lady bugs are supposed to be beneficial for the gardens as they also eat aphids . This apple is completely covered with the little ladies ....very perty I'd say.....

SAM_6576.JPG

I've killed hundreds of these stingy Y.J's ....my dog will try to catch them as he does with house flies , so I do them in first . They seem to get along well with the ladies .....

SAM_6570.JPG

......just giving you guys something to read on a slow night here ....... :Gonefishing: ....where's the fish ??

Watch those 13-spot Asian lady bugs: they will bite. But they do kill aphids!

13 spots Coach ? I'm not superstitious :ph34r:- :) , and I don't want to destroy them if they are beneficial to my garden plants . They do bite , but nothing like those yellow jackets that can sting multiple times . My Sunlight dish soap & water solution kills them in seconds !

Archived