Is Anyone Actually Fishing Out There?

Snags

I can tell that they are out of towners because the ditches haven't been productive this year. Theres lots of people coming from all over the place, looking for people catching fish, and standing right next to them. At least those guys are doing some leg work. Posting anything on here is basically like inviting them to stand beside you. I know a few guys who used to make posts on here about how well they were doing and used to have to park somewhere else/get a ride to the river so that they didn't have guys looking for them down there. People get so caught up with what they hear is doing well and never figure it out for themselves. Put in some legwork, observe some of the guys who are catching fish, and then go try it for yourself. I fish alone or with a few select people and theres some days i've hiked so far that you'll never find me. Not giving up those spots.

I'm all for posting pics etc. but it can be done with discretion without giving up details so the place gets overrun. I'd wager that 85% of people that leave garbage at Jordan Harbour live outside Niagara. Just from talking to some of them, and seeing the junk that gets left,the graffitti-they are mostly from TO. There is nothing wrong with protecting a good spot from invading,opportunists who wish to plunder our valuable fishing spots. The fact is, we who live in the Niagara area have vested interest in keeping fishing areas clean and respecting catch limits ect. Those that come from others places don't seem to care, so giving away spots is asinine IMO.

While I concede that it is near impossible to completely clean out a body of water with a hook and line, too many people keeping everything can wreck a productive fishery and render it useless for sport fishing. Lake Gibson comes to mind. I remember being able to take 3-4 smallies(C&R) in a couple of hours on a regular basis on tubes or even just worms. There is just not the numbers anymore, I notice even the crawfish are are getting scarce. Yes,there are still good fish being taken there,but it has really gone downhill from just a few years ago.

I think having the two PD piers shut down is putting additional pressure on a lot of Niagara spots too, a ton of people that would normally be there all day are going other places.

Good points J.C. I have seen a group of people take 20 carp home using several garbage bags after a days fishing at Jordan . Back in the 50's many people would come from the U.S. to fish for catfish , drum and carp . Jordan was once a great bass fishery and big perch . The silt buildup over the years has changed that fishery . The 12 Mile was good for a days bass fishing and the odd pike , but the last two years has been very poor fishing ....even my carp spots ! This change may be completely weather related or water quality related ...not over fishing as may be in some cases . It's a shame about the piers at P.Dalhousie ....but once they "declared it unsafe" , they can't allow people on it ....law suits can be costly . This weather is nuts ....looks like our first ice outing may be ....next year ! :Gonefishing:

edit...Wow ricky 33 ...lots of luck to you ! Your kids can keep you busy baiting their hooks ....

I do agree there are people on here that are way to info friendly. As someone thay post and responds to pms this may sound odd coming from me. The issue lies with the fact that this is a community and not a free for all. Members here that post mean to do that for other members but unfortunately some of those looking for info like to spread it like rapid fire when they get an answer. I don't own the niagara I don't own the fish however I am the owner of the information I have learned from putting in leg work and when someone pms me for info and then post on the main forum the info I give they have taken something from me and shared it without my permission. This is a bit gutting as yes the niagara is popular but those of us thay fish it religiously know it better then most and when we get spotted and some idiot post on here the exact spot we were at and what we were using thay really pisses me off. Hence why some member get heckled for doing it. I do disagree if it's a spot u found and u wanna share its up to your discretion but for instance I have a special spot I showed a member here to help him catch fish only to have him post pics on insta with background and time and water report. Now I go there and it's almost a foot race between guys as it holds maybe 3 people at most. This seems like a bit of a rant but the younger generation is sooooo technology submerged they don't even see the effects of there postd and texts and Facebook msg. Your info is free to share as u feel but know the person you telling isn't the only one that will know. I will post and I will put clarity reports tm if I go but I will not be given locations and such thays just bad business I've found

I like that term ..."technology submerged" . It is so true . This technology will put millions of people out of jobs as the new generation likes to use their little phones for everything they can apply it to . Pump your own gas & use a card or Iphone , check out your own goods at stores , use the phone or machines for banking to get cash , etc etc etc. Fishing and hunting are headed the same way ....instant pictures to where ever to whom ever .....use a drone to find remote ponds in the bush or locate a moose . We have cameras with powerful zoom lenses that could be on us anytime , anywhere , sending info via photos or videos to Facebook or You tube , without our knowledge . Keeping a pristine spot a secret will be impossible .

btw , I picked up a big ball of heavy mono fishing line today where our feathered friends play ...... :wall: ... :slap:

Snags, not too many fishing.....obviously. I haven't been out since Thanksgiving weekend. Although Marks posts are giving me the itch to grab the canoe and give it a try this weekend. Of course after saying that it probably won't happen. Too close to Christmas with busy weekends here on in.

Oh well, stay positive.......hope for ICE! (Sorry Cliff, I need to disagree for my sanity) LOL :crazy:

I need it.

LT

To the OP... I don't post many reports myself because being a wretched out of towner, much of my fishing is done outside of the Niagara area. When I DO fish in the Niagara area, I head to da Port primarily but don't report as I know lots of people prefer specific locations not to be metioned( which are my feelings too ).

So, instead I mostly RESPOND to posts and contribute information when I feel I can be a help.

I just don't get people getting so upset for out of towners yes the mess doesn't help but I'm sure there's more then 20 percent of people that live in town r trashing up the spots iv seen it happen over night but I'm sure almost everyone on here from Niagara has fished out of town it helps the community if they spend money it could be a good thing and it's Niagara people come from all over the world to see the falls it's what the town is based on

I used to be a frequent out of towner in niagara county and a few erie tribs. Only issue those guys had was that us Canadians use centerpins and not the traditional fly outfit. Aside from that we were always welcomed witg open arms. There's no secrets over their either.

That's what drives me absolutely nuts, people who think that we in the Niagara region are the only area to ever have out of towners come to share the water...guess what, the water is here for everyone to enjoy so shut up and fish. Ultimately, like most things, how people deal with different things such as the internet and social media comes down to choices, asking yourself how are you going to deal with it. I'm with Thorold fisher on this one, hike hard and find your water. This forum used to be really great and I really enjoyed some of the posts, and certainly I have learned a lot from its members, and met some fantastic people, but not as much any more.

I think the last straw for me was when someone encouraged the members to share info about the whirlpool for early salmon... give me a break, that's the very reason this forum doesn't run like it did, and isn't a "forum" for much discussion at all.

Archived