Versatile Rod/reel Combo

Godfree

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and also very new to the city (st. Catharines). I'm here for university and as the semester comes to an end and the warm weather approaches I'm eager to try all the spots I've read about on here. I'm looking for a rod and reel combo that I can use at the whirlpool and port Dalhousie for steelies, salmon, pike but is also versatile enough to use in any fishing situation.

Being a student cash isn't of abundance, I'd like to buy a rod and reel for a good price.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Or maybe have a second hand setup they are looking to pass off?

I appreciate any help!

I use an 8'6" medium heavy rod with a 3000 series reel for everything from top water bass fishing to pier fishing salmon/bottom bouncing trout n carp/cat fishing. If ur doing more big water fishing like niagara/port maybe a bit longer of a rod will help.

Welcome to the forum ! As a student not to long ago, I remember all to well the budget struggle for fishing gear (I went over my budget, Ooops). But if i may make a suggestion, perhaps 2 rods might be the way to go.

I would get a dedicated salmon / steelhead rod, and then maybe an all rounder for everything else ? I'm not a steelheader or salmon fisherman, so I can't help ya in that department, but for an all rounder you could go for something like a 7' Ugly Stik Elite. They're not like the older style Ugly Stik. They're a lot thinner and sensitive... Just my 2 cents.

Tyler0420 is right about a 3000 series reel. I have one that I use for all species except panfish (have a 1000 series) and carp (5500 series baitrunner). I have a soft spot for Pfleuger.. But there are a lot of great brands to choose from.

I wish you luck in your search, and make sure to shop at a local tackle store. Since you're in St.Kitts, check out Peters Tackle ! They have a massive sale on April 1-3. Lots of great deals to be had.

Best of Luck !

I second Pfleuger for a good spinning reel on a budget. I have 2 presidents a 3000 and a new limited edition president the next size down and they work great! I have a few rods but use a 11 foot drift rod for salmon/trout and a 7 foot drop shot rod for most everything else from shore.

Don't underestimate a cheap rod and reel combo. Stick with the brand names, shimano, zebco, Shakespeare, etc. Get a 6', 6" medium fast action rod with a spinning reel. One of my favourite rod and reel combos I had was a $30 zebco rod from Canadian tire. It lasted a good 10 years and many fish caught with it. I still have it but it's beginning to show its age. Certainly a more expensive rod and reel are worth it, but if your on a budget a cheaper rod will work just fine

Wow thanks for all the insight guys, this is a great forum and am glad I joined. I am originally from Branford Ontario and grew up fishing the Grand for all species, so I'm not as experienced with stronger current fishing and the gear that would suit so I appreciate all these responses.

Admin- I am taking classical guitar performance at Brock in the new performing centre that just opened up downtown st.kitts.

I think you would be wise to look at having 2 rods . I have used my med.action custom 8' salmon rod & Stradic 4000 for kings ,trout, pike & carp ...no problem handling these brutes. So look at buying a 9'-11' approx. decent quality rod & reel for those big fish .

For pan fish , catfish ,walleye ,bass , drum ,etc etc. a 6 -7' (Ugly Stick) ...and a $30 -$40 reel will fill your needs . Happy hooking and happy picking :Gonefishing:

you can"t go wrong with a shimano combo . I have one in my boat that is over 20 years old and its the first rod I grab when fishing . it works as good now as it did back then never a problem with it .

Check kijiji and pawn shops for deals on used gear. You could probably pick 2-3 decent outfits for what you would spend on one brand new setup.

Archived